Pipe making drills from the USA.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
stew
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Pipe making drills from the USA.

Post by stew »

Greetings Pipers, I bought some drill from Ebay six weeks a go sixteen in all, after asking the seller what sizes and lengths they were I started getting suspicions that theses drills were used for making Uilleann pipes,
I got the lot for $10.00's, when they arrived two weeks and after opening the box I was totally amazed that I had been right in my suspicions, :o the set of sixteen drills was exactly what I've after for making Concert D pipes, there were 3x12"x13/64th for the chanter bore,2x12"x3/16th for the baritone drone, 1x6"x9/64th and with 13/64th or 3/16th for tenor drone, makers choice of the two sizes, 11/32nd and 9/32nd for the bass drone, won't bore you to much with all the other sizes, but they are all there even for the chanter note holes every one for the job, there came from
"Wilton, CT. U.S. Phoenix" am I right, :-? anyone kwon any old or modern pipemakers from this place that they might have belonged too, any help or idea's would be most appreciated. :) all the best Stew.
cameron

Post by cameron »

Well done Stew!
You don't have any excuses now for not getting on and making some great chanters. I am looking forward to trying one very soon which hopefully will be 13.4 at the bell end.
Douglas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Douglas »

You got a very good deal there. The long bits and the wide ones are well over $10 each.
stew
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

It certainly will Cameron, 13.40 is what its all about on the "Big D" :wink:
billh

Post by billh »

IMO the best pipemaking drills from the USA are from Drillmaster in Vermont:

www.drillmasters.com (don't forget the 's' unless you need marching shoes)

They make to order, and Doug in technical sales knows what pipemakers are using in the product line.

These are pneumatic "gun drills" and they'll set you back about $85 each, but they are a lot faster and more foolproof than long spirals or D bits. Of course you'll need a compressor, but I'm sure you'll find one on eBay ;-)

- Bill
reedman

Post by reedman »

Hmmm, Great Chanters, you'll be wanting some great reeds for them great chanters Stew, :wink: I've sent a PM by the way, coming down a the weekend,see ya then.
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

Using a gun drill for pilot holes is an essential activity for a pipemaker. A pilot hole can be drilled *perfectly* in about 10 seconds.
billh

Post by billh »

Jim McGuire wrote:Using a gun drill for pilot holes is an essential activity for a pipemaker. A pilot hole can be drilled *perfectly* in about 10 seconds.
Even slower is better IMO, say 1 mm/sec or less. You can get drift down to under 0.5mm in 50 cm, and for finish bores in cylindrical drone sections the slower speed makes for a glassy finish.

YMMV
stew

Post by stew »

Nice site billh, :o I've seen gundrills working, I can do just as good of job with with a 16"x13/64th HSS drill bit, I can drill a chanter blank on a old Record lathe in 20-30minutes and the bore is pretty straight, the lathe centres must be cock on, and you must use the right speed and with a little patients you can get a pretty straight bore through the chanter blank, I've seen a gun drills come through a chanter blank wall, dangereous things if used incorrectly or put in the wrong hands, I'll stick to the more saver way I know. all the best Stew.

Got the PM reedman.
cameron

Post by cameron »

Hi Stew,

Is Reedman supplying you with reeds for your chanters or are you making them yourself? He must be good if his reeds are better than the one you gave me!
billh

Post by billh »

stew wrote:Nice site billh, :o I've seen gundrills working, I can do just as good of job with with a 16"x13/64th HSS drill bit, I can drill a chanter blank on a old Record lathe in 20-30minutes and the bore is pretty straight, the lathe centres must be cock on, and you must use the right speed and with a little patients you can get a pretty straight bore through the chanter blank, I've seen a gun drills come through a chanter blank wall, dangereous things if used incorrectly or put in the wrong hands, I'll stick to the more saver way I know. all the best Stew.

Got the PM reedman.
Well, this is first time I've heard this opinion from someone who's used both (gun drills and HSS long bits). If you can do as good a job with a HSS drill bit you are surely in the minority.

I can't imagine how horribly someone would have to abuse a gun drill to get it to go through a chanter wall - those things are self-centering! Frankly I think gun drills are a lot safer than HSS twist drills if used with a modicum of sense.

- Bill
Last edited by billh on Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
stew

Post by stew »

Ha,Ha, he's thinks he can make better reeds than me, :roll: Hmmm, Well maybe as good on a good day. :wink:
stew

Post by stew »

Watch it you "Two" :P :D
reedman

Post by reedman »

Sorry Stew We'll have to stop teaseing you, behave Cameron. :P :D
There's those who know,
and there's those who think they know,
and there's those who just have'nt got a fecking Clue.
stew

Post by stew »

Yes billh, well there you go, wether the lathe was off center or the wrong
speed or pushing the gun drill to hard, or the wood its self,but something coursed the gun drill to run out of centre, its a case of what tools you prefer and are happy with when doing any work, Hi tech tools don't necessarily mean a better product or job :-? , it might be quicker, there is a lot of skill needed to make a great set of pipes, but there again Peter Hunter can also do a pretty good job with a HSS drill bit also. :o . all the best Stew.

Still waiting for any idea's or who's drills these might have belonged too.