just in case some of you may not know flook yet

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
amar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

just in case some of you may not know flook yet

Post by amar »

here's a good link where you can listen to many of their tracks, aditionally there's one more cd, flook live!, not listed here, a great album too, if you like that kind of music. :wink:

http://efolkmusic.org/artmusic/viewdown ... tist=Flook

best, amar.
SirNick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Oh ya, Flook of Seagulls. I used to listen to them in the 80's! :lol:
"You have my undivided attention"
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:)
Amar me boy this is a great link. I've been listening to great sounds all day and I really needed a lift today.
Flook are awesome and do all my favourite things with whistles. Play them high, fast and furious with plenty of choppy variations in the rhythm.
The CD collection expanded a bit today I can tell ye.
Many thanks,
Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
moxy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by moxy »

Oh sweet, nice sound and blending too, I like it. Thanks Amar.
amar

Post by amar »

dubhlinn wrote::)
Amar me boy this is a great link. I've been listening to great sounds all day and I really needed a lift today.
Flook are awesome and do all my favourite things with whistles. Play them high, fast and furious with plenty of choppy variations in the rhythm.
The CD collection expanded a bit today I can tell ye.
Many thanks,
Slan,
D.
you are very very welcome. i absolutely love flook. and i like to share what i love. most things. :D
you must get the albums, and their first one, flook live!, too.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

I wasn't going to comment on this site cause I hate JAZZ and thats all this stuff is....BUT, when it left all sorts of pop-ups on my screen that I
couldn't get rid of without shutting everything off (and I have a pop-up-stopper too), well I thought I should warn people what they were getting into:( :( :(
lolly
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Strange affair Lolly,
I had no problems at all with this site and found it a wonderful place with a tremendous variety of great music.

Slan,
D.

W.B.Yeats
amar

Post by amar »

that really is strange, i had no pop-ups whatsoever...
And sure, Flook doesn't play pure-drop irtrad...but jazz? no way.
Amar.
Q

flooklike

Post by Q »

Big fan of Flook myself, keenly anticipating delivery of the re-released Live album from 96 (I think).

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's been posted on this site, but there's a new band from the states, very flook-like, called Millish.

http://www.millish.com

They've got tracks to download on their site - unfortunately they're uncompressed .WAV files - about 50mb per file :-( - but if you've got a good connection or the patience to download 'em, I tell you it's totally worth it. The dude's whistle-playing is AMAZING. And the guitar's really good as well. They use a full drumkit, not a bodhran, but the drummer is fantastic too.

Someone else to check out for interesting take on trad is the Canadian fluter Nicholas Williams

http://www.48media.com/gowilliams/

Flute's my main instrument, and this dude's ma main man :-)
Last edited by Q on Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
amar

Re: flooklike

Post by amar »

Q wrote:Big fan of Flook myself, keenly anticipating delivery of the re-released Live album from 96 (I think).

Anyway, I'm not sure if it's been posted on this site, but there's a new band from the states, very flook-like, called Millish.

http://www.millish.com

They've got tracks to download on their site - unfortunately they're uncompressed .WAV files - about 50mb per file :-( - but if you've got a good connection or the patience to download 'em, I tell you it's totally worth it. The dude's whistle-playing is AMAZING. And the guitar's really good as well. They use a full drumkit, not a bodhran, but the drummer is fantastic too.

Someone else to check out for interesting take on trad is the Canadian fluter Nicholas Williams

http://www.48media.com/gowilliams/

Flute's my main instrument, and this dude's ma main man :-)
WOW, thanks for those links, Q, I ordered the crooked river right away, and am downloading all the Millish tracks. Great stuff!! :o
Q

Post by Q »

Here's a link to a much smaller .wma file of Millish that Paul posted at TheSession:

http://www.millish.com/Images/02%20Asanul.wma

gotta love it

:wink:
SirNick
Tell us something.: I love Irish music! I am mostly a whistle player but would like to learn more about flutes. I also have a couple older whistles I'd like to sell and maybe pick up a bamboo flute to practice with.

Post by SirNick »

Q thank you very much! Millish is fantastic! Does anyone know of anyone else similar to Flook?

Hey, Did you guys notice that the first downloadable track from Millish is a song called Asanul. Lunasa backwards!!!
"You have my undivided attention"
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

:party:
A Squillion thanks for the link to Millish Q.
One of the best bands I have ever heard.I'm having a ball here just spotting the influences /references in these tracks.Every one of my favourite genres is in the mix.Fantastic.These guys are bound for glory.The most creative and imaginative outfit out there today.If this band dont rock your soul get someone to check your pulse.
And to think that I heard them first here,on the Chiffboard....!
Q, if you ever get anywhere near the misty swamplands of the Humber Delta then the Guinness is on me - all night long.
Slan,
D.
:D :D :D

W.B.Yeats
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

I must say, quite incredible....
amar

Post by amar »

SirNick wrote:Q thank you very much! Millish is fantastic! Does anyone know of anyone else similar to Flook?

Hey, Did you guys notice that the first downloadable track from Millish is a song called Asanul. Lunasa backwards!!!

HEY!!!! right, lunasa backwards!!! i didn't realize that! :o