Burke AlPro D vs Al Narrow Bore D vs Brass Session D?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
DRC
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burke AlPro D vs Al Narrow Bore D vs Brass Session D?

Post by DRC »

I've done some searches, but can't find any direct comparisons between these whistles, so would like to get some input from those who have played all three. I know the new brass session with black tip is Burke's best seller, but unfortunately, no one in our local Celtic circle has one that I know of. Nor does anyone have the aluminum narrow bore D. I have an AlPro D, so I'd like to know how the new brass session and aluminum narrow bore compare to the AlPro in terms of tone, volume, and playability.

I welcome any input from anyone who owns either the new brass session or aluminum narrow bore D.

Thanks,
DC
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I have an AlPro D session and a Brass Pro narrow bore D.

Volume is about the same on both. The tone of both is very pure. The session has the stongest low octave and bell note, and the narrow bore has the smoothest and easiest 2nd and 3rd octave of any whistle I've played so far. The tone of the narrow bore is not weak, though, in fact it's got a really nice low end, which along with its volume, surprised me.

Here are the whistles side by side:

There are recordings available at

http://www.flutesite.com/burke.htm

--James
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I think a poster who seems to have disappeared, ridseard, has probably played all three. If you can find an old post of his then email him me may be able to help.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I haven't quite disappeared. :)

I have the brass pro session, brass nb, and al nb. Never played the al pro session, so I can't compare it to the al nb.
lyrick

Post by lyrick »

Ridseard, you said you own the brass pro session, brass nb, and al nb. I know it doesn't answer the original question, but can you compare the three of them (volume, tone, playable range, etc.)? I don't think I'm the only one that would be interested in hearing a comparison. Thanks.[/quote]
DRC

Post by DRC »

lyrick wrote:Ridseard, you said you own the brass pro session, brass nb, and al nb. I know it doesn't answer the original question, but can you compare the three of them (volume, tone, playable range, etc.)? I don't think I'm the only one that would be interested in hearing a comparison. Thanks.
Yea....Same here.
Thanks,
DC
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

While my distant compatriot, Ridseard, is formulating his usual fine response, I will jump in quickly. I own all three of the whistles. My Brass Pro Session is one of the older variety, sans black tip. I enjoy it because it has a relatively complex sound, yet is not airy. Its narrower brass brother, my black-tipped NB, is simply one of the most precise whistles I have ever played. Ornmentations simply pop out of it. It is never the 'reason' for an imprecision...If the player gets it 'right', the whistle will simply soar....... I don't feel Mike's narrow-bore whistles are significantly softer in volume than his standard or wide-bore models, as is the case with Hoover instruments. Mike's brass NB simply sounds more pointed in its sound - more focused - than the brass session. This is not a value judgement. I use both, and would not wish to be without either...

The AlPro black-tipped narrow bore is a different animal. While it retains the focused quality of the brass version, it is much more devoid of non-harmonic overtones. Its sound is very sweet and exceptionally pointed. I know of no instrument to liken it to. Our band's engineer says that when we play acoustically, the aluminum NB is incredibly sweet at a distance. And yet, through a mic, it is a very difficult sound for him to mix, successfully. It is that focused...Again, I would not wish to be without it...

Difficult to speak of such a subjective issue in words. Hope this helped a bit. Ridseard?
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

Well, I wrote something, but when I hit the submit button just now, C&F experienced a hiccup and the message could not be recovered. I really have nothing important to add to what Byll has written. Here are a few random thoughts.

The brass nb is really pleasant to play because of its unobtrusive, pleasant tone, its lightning fast response, and its efficiency at producing sound. You just never run out of gas playing it. It's really everything one would expect from a narrow bore version of the brass pro session.

My aluminum nb has a slightly stiffer response than either of my brass Burkes. Moreover, it takes well to a more aggressive playing style. It is enjoyable to play because you can really lean into it if that's what you feel like doing. I play mine a lot, probably more than either of the other two, but not because it is the better whistle. It just seems to fit my mood a lot.

The brass pro session is what I would recommend to anyone whose heart is not set on the al pro session. It's easy to play, is beautifully balanced across the octaves, and has a magnificent tone.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I will add that my Brass session pro is a dream to play. It's almost effortless. And it's not really all that loud.

Suburban Symphony
DRC

Thanks for the responses

Post by DRC »

Appreciate all the input. I've listened to several audio clips, read what you've all had to say, and have ordered both the brass and aluminum narrow bores from Mike.

DRC
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

Love to hear your evaluation after yo've gotten them.

Suburban Symphony
DRC

Post by DRC »

FJohnSharp wrote:Love to hear your evaluation after yo've gotten them.
Will do. I'm looking forward to seeing how they do in our weekly gigs/sessions, as well as upcoming studio work.

DRC
DRC

Post by DRC »

FJohnSharp wrote:Love to hear your evaluation after yo've gotten them.
Well, I received the whistles a couple days ago and have been putting them through their paces. All I can say is, what wonderful instruments. I was surprised at the volume of both, the aluminum narrow bore in particular. It's actually a bit louder than my AlPro session.

The aluminum narrow bore is like a feather in your hand, perfectly balanced. It weighs next to nothing, but produces a wonderfully bright, but full sound and is simply pristine in the high end. The fisrt octave is very solid with an unbelievably solid bell note. Both octaves are very well balanced, and as with all of Mike's whistles, intonation is right on the money in both octaves. This whistle can take some very aggressive playing, which will be great for live gigs and sessions. You can really belt out some tunes on this whistle without sounding like it's being overblown if the mood moves you, or produce the delicate tones for airs. Whatever your mood or tune, this whistle can handle it. Love it! I can understand why Joanie Madden and Mary Rafferty highly recommend it.

The brass narrow bore is just slightly softer in volume and tone, a bit sweeter, deeper tone, but still plenty loud when needed, and crystal clear on the high end. Again, excellent balance in both octaves with a very solid fist octave and bell note....and very accurate intonation in both octaves. Love it as well.

I also like the new delrin tip Mike has begun using. So far, unlike my AlPro that clogs easily, neither of these are presenting clogging problems.

I'd be difficult to pick a favorite at this point. It depends on the tune and the mood. Both have their own character and personality. I CAN say that I like both better than my AlPro session. I still like the AlPro, but not as much as the tone I'm hearing from either of these narrow bores. One of the whistle players in our session group has a new Burke brass session pro, and I prefer my narrow bores. Naturally, this is all personal. To me, a high D whistle should sound like, well.....a whistle....like someone whistling. There's a certain quality to it. That's one thing I admire about Paddy Maloney's style. He likes small bore pure-tone high D whistles, and when listening to him play, you can easily imagine someone walking along an Irish dirt road, whistling away. That's what these narrow bores remind me of, and are exactly what I want a high D whistle to sound like. My Sindt D fits this quality as well, but don't play it much anymore because of the sharp C-nat that seems to be inherent in John's D whistles. I prefer the sound and volume of these Burke narrow bores anyway.

These are top notch instruments and I'm glad I decided to get both. Excuse me, gotta go....too many tunes, so little time!

DRC
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Strange...

Byll, Ridseard, I know the question was about brass vs alloy, but how come you don't comment--like btw--on the composites?
DRC

Post by DRC »

Zubivka wrote:Strange...

Byll, Ridseard, I know the question was about brass vs alloy, but how come you don't comment--like btw--on the composites?
I'm obviously not Byll or Ridseard, but have a Burke composite C that's very special in tone and playability. One of my very favorite whistles. As expected, a completely different sound than metal. It's warm, full bodied and flute-like with a very sweet high end and good volume. Does very well in sessions, although I use it mostly for moody, 'dark' airs in Dm. It sounds incredible in the studio, and I always get comments on it at gigs. As a result of this, I recently ordered a composite session D from Mike but didn't really like it. Not the tone I was looking for in a D, and it was a bit difficult to play in the high end, not nearly as well balanced overall as his metal whistles. I may have just gotten a rare one that slipped by his final inspection. I returned it, and the brass/aluminum narrow bores are what I replaced it with. I'll never regret that decision! Thom Larson (The Whislte Shop) and I have had many conversations about Burke composites and I know he plays Burke narrow bore composite Ds and loves them. Personally, I've never played a narrow bore composite D.

DRC