Yet another pipe case question

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Paul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Yet another pipe case question

Post by Paul »

I need to make or get a set for my pipes. In deciding on the size I am curious as to what the consensus is on what parts if any you guys break down on your sets in order to fit your pipes into cases.

The idea of repetedly removing and replacing, say, the bass drone return over a long period of time makes me a little nervous. Am I making too big a deal?

Also, how important is it that they fit snugly in the case? Is just a padded box okay? I would be nervous about them clanking around. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Hey, a late congrats on the new pipes, Paul. Hope they are working good by now.

There's been a lot of threads on pipe cases (use "search" to look them up) but since you have a D set, the case probably only needs to be 32" x 12" x 5½" O.D. That's what I use. I only have to remove the bass reg reed cap. I roll the reed up in tissue and place it inside the reed cap. The set sets diagonally in the case.

The 5½" depth is important so the bellows fit in sideways...so you don't have to take the tube on and off all the time. All you have to do is detach the bellows from the bag. For local travel in car, I don't need inside padding. The interior is lined. The only thing that might roll around is the bass reg reed cap, but I put that in a corner under the bag. The set is still together, ready to attach the bellows and bass reg reed cap, ready to play. Nothing will really roll around this way, but padding is a good thing.
djm

Post by djm »

Paul, you don't say if you have a full or half-set. If you're planning on getting a full set, you will also have to consider whether or not you want to break down the bass reg. How far do you carry your pipes? Are you flying?

If its just local travel, you can get away with a double shotgun case, which is inexpensive, and big enough that you won't have to break down a full set. The caveat is that gun cases are usually only 4 - 4.5" deep, and could put pressure on your set. You will want to replace any foam padding that comes in the gun case.

If you plan to be flying, you will need to break down your set. Please do a search and see the many threads on cases for air travel.

If you are concerned with breaking down the bass drone just by removing the foot, don't be. The worst that can happen is that you have to rewrap the thread. When you get to removing entire drones or regs from the stock, you have to be much more careful. Depending on how your bass reg is mounted, there could be an issue with wear over time.

djm
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

djm, check out his avatar, silly. Also note the recent photos he posted a week ago on the "Pictures of Your Pipes" thread. He also posted a nice "preview" of the Rogge full D set dissasembled, a month or two ago, to keep us informed. :wink:

Paul, are those made of cocobolo wood?
tompipes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Does anyone have a pic of Geoff Wooff cases out there. They're great!
I takes a bit of dismantling to get the pipes in the box but well worth it. Super cases!
You'd have never thought that a great pipe maker would come up with great cases too...but there you are.
Tommy
Paul

Post by Paul »

thanks guys! djm, you put my mind at ease. I will plan on something to accomodate them with the bass drone foot off. The idea of making my own case is really appealing. Thanks for the measurements, Lorenzo.
Lorenzo wrote:Paul, are those made of cocobolo wood?
Yes, and the wood is all different grains and hues and shades of orange and red. I asked them to mis-match the wood as much as possible. It looks really cool.
djm

Post by djm »

Lorenzo, sorry, but I don't give any credence to avatars. I don't look anymore like my avatar than you do yours. :D

Also, I don't keep track of who owns what set. Pictures of pipes are of little meaning to me. That's not to say others don't or shouldn't enjoy them - just that I personally don't follow this stuff.

djm
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Paul, the 32" length may be a little short for taking the bass reg foot off. 34" might be better. If I remove the foot on mine, I lack about an inch or so of the set fitting in the case diagonally. The main reason I leave mine on, and take the cap off instead, is so I don't have to retune the drones. I seldom ever need to adjust them (cane reeds).
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

djm wrote:Also, I don't keep track of who owns what set. Pictures of pipes are of little meaning to me. That's not to say others don't or shouldn't enjoy them - just that I personally don't follow this stuff.
These are pictures of your pipes you posted djm, and with much gloating! :lol: Now try not to forget which ones are yours! :wink:
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

In addition to the bass drone slide, the baritone drone slide might be good to take off, too (depending on your set's design)

For a light, not-rockhard case - $35,
http://www.exploreproducts.com/breakdownguncasesh3.htm

More sturdy - I have one, it's great - $70.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 62980&rd=1

Cases can rage up to $350 in this size. Bellows size seems to be most people's size contraint. I have bellows that both fit in easily to the 2nd case.
djm

Post by djm »

Sure they're mine, but I only made the pics available at the specific request of those who like such things. As I said, I have nothing against people who like to see pictures of pipes, but I don't try to keep track of who has what. I put this up next to golf and billiards as far as spectator sports go.
:sleep:

djm
orbis

=Popular Cases for '04=

Post by orbis »

This case is an absolute MUST HAVE this season! It made its debut at last year's "East Coast Tionol" to rave reviews, and is certain to be at the top of every piper's "cases to buy" list this year.... It has been referred to as the "Irish Giant", but is more popularly known as "THE BLUE COFFIN". After making the guest list of this year's Gainesville Tionol, it can be seen here, taking it's place between the illustrious piper, John Maze and the noted bodhran player, Michael O'Malley for the group photo. (Obviously it travels in only the best of circles).
So, weather it's mingling with high society, or just mucking about with some of the other cases, you can rest assure that when you need it to, it's going to stop traffic! Be sure that you get your order with DuPont in early, as only a limited amount of blue Kevlar will be produced this year....... If you buy only one case this year, this is sure to be it!
Last edited by orbis on Sat May 29, 2004 11:00 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Hey orbis, nice to see you since Gainesville. I remember that case, and it IS roughly the size of a coffin. I used to swear by ANVIL cases for my guitars and electronic gear for its design and strength, this blue monster has everything that my old ANVIL cases did in that regard but it is sized for a full set of concert Ds.
Jim McGuire

Post by Jim McGuire »

There's a contest question! How many sets and whistles could you get in to that case?
tommykleen
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

why not try one of Rogge's flight cases? I use one and everything fits, albeit snuggly. True, I do have to remove the bass drone return. The bass reg. extension I hardly ever put on (in Rogge's design it is really cosmetic anyway). I only put this reg extension on for gigs or as a back up during winter looseness. I can post a picture of how my set fits in my case if it would help.

t