hairy finger pads

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistlepeg
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlepeg »

Poor old Jim, 'e 'ad 'airy fingers,
When 'e played recorder, 'e 'it some zingers.
A whistler said, "Jim cover them 'oles,
Else the 'air leaks out, spoilin' your crans an' rolls".
"What's this" cries Jim as 'he takes a look
"Well I'll be darned, my recorder mistook,
"Thought a whistle I had, so was missing the thumb,
For a C & F whistler, I surely am dumb.."
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

By the way Jim, I too like to play recorder! We recorder players (who also like to whistle) have to stick together or else people may think that the recorder is the stuffy, old-fashioned aunt of the whistle family (heaven forbid)!!
What kind do you have/play? What kind of music do you like to play on it? Do you play the your whistle tunes on the recorder, or keep them separate?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

WOOF!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

OK, sorry to let a joke get in the
way of answering a question from
a chiffandfippler. I've played recorders
on and off since I was about 8, when
I learned to play them at summer camp.
I figured out how to get the high
register sometime in my 20s--but
my passion was the guitar. I don't
read music so, while I love classical
and renaissance, etc. I don't play that
on recorder--just whistle tunes or
whatever. I have a cheapy wooden
recorder; the best one I ever had
was a maple Moeck that I managed
to find in a shop in Katmandu. I lost
that some time ago in New Orleans,
much to my regret. I have an
old Adler alto, too. About 4 years ago
I took up whistles seriously.

I think it's really cool that you have
a BA in recorder! What kind of recorder
do you have? And what do you play?
And with whom? Best wishes...
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Jim,
Moecks are mighty fine. I used to have a grenadilla alto, and a maple tenor Moeck many years ago but they were stolen after a gig. Unfortunately, I didn't know that their value had increased during the time I had them and they were not insured separately from my house policy so the insurance company only gave me $1000Cdn for them ( I had originally paid $135Cdn for the alto and $60Cdn for the tenor and the replacement price was close to $900Cdn just for the Alto!) Think of all the whistles I could have bought if only I was into whistles at that time! Actually I was very into Medieval/Renaissance music so I spent the insurance money on Kublicek Renaissance replica soprano & tenor recorders which I still play regularly though not nearly as much as Irish whistle. I find that my fingers get confused if I play my Irish tunes on the recorders (I tend to play on auto-pilot) so I play Irish trad on whistles and everything else on recorders. I also play sopranino, alto, bass & garklein at various solo or ensemble gigs, and bodhran & anglo concertina (which is loads of fun!) I am very, very lucky to be married to a musician and the 2 of us are able to eke out a living doing what I love most - making & teaching music. So play lots and be happy,and best wishes to you!
Sue
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

That sounds grand. Please tell me
what your husband plays.
Whistlepeg

Post by Whistlepeg »

Guitar Mandolin and Tenor Banjo - We do have some great sessions here in Winnipeg, next time you are travelling through, look us up (yeah right you say,...500 miles north of Minneapolis).
Same goes for other C& F folks, really, we don't live in igloos (at least not year round) and we even have shopping malls....
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

yeah but the shopping malls melt in the summer... and have to put in tents...

It was so wierd last time I went to the states. When we got to the border, (to bord our sled dogs) people laughed when we had to ask what the 4-wheeled enclosed things were for...
peteinmn

Post by peteinmn »

500 miles north of Minneapolis

I live only 25 miles North of Minneapolis and am freezing my hiney off this winter. How the heck can you stand it?
Shut up and drink your gin! - Fagin
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

WOOF!
emmline

Post by emmline »

electrolysis
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

woof?
IDAwHOa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

No, Jim, not ELECTROCUTION :o , she said ELECTROLOSYS :lol: . 'cept Lazer hair removal is a lot less painful and is a lot more high tech and cool!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Actually, rec***er-induced lycanthropy is well-documented in Renaissance and Baroque literature. It was this phenomenon that encouraged the adoption of the traverso as the orchestral flute of choice. The stronger tones of the traverso also helped to drive off the Blockflötewerewolfen (as they were called on the continent). This "magical quality" of non-rec***er flutes helped inspire Mozart to write The Magic Flute, which was revived in the 20th Century, in the animated classic, La flûte à six schtroumpfs.

As late as the 19th Century, cases continued to be reported, especially with the development of the csakan, but, ultimately, the introduction of silver orchestral flutes, by St. Theoboehm the Bald, drove werewolves from the mainstream musical stage once and for all... but then...

best
Reasonable person
Walden
Lorenzo

Post by Lorenzo »

Woof! Woof! Hey, those growth hormones can really mess you up, man.