OT: LOTR - I get it now

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rebl_rn
antispam: No

OT: LOTR - I get it now

Post by rebl_rn »

A while ago there was a thread about LOTR and not "getting it". I said that while I had read and enjoyed the books and seen the first movie, I didn't totally "get it" either. After finally renting Two Towers a few days ago and going to see ROTK today (the first movie I've seen in a theatre in at least 3 years), I think I finally understand the appeal. I was incredibly moved by the final two movies, especially ROTK. I don't have any plans to learn Elvish or throw hobbit birthday parties or anything yet, but I am eager to re-read the books and see the movies again (extended versions) and learn some more about Middle Earth.

So there's really no point to this thread other than to say to all the people who don't get it, give it a chance, maybe it'll make some more sense to you too. I never thought it would've happened to me.

Beth
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
Jerry Freeman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Why am I getting a vague mental image of R. Crumb and something about meatballs?

Best wishes,
Jerry
elendil

Post by elendil »

Yesterday we went to ROTK and then on to an incredible Nepalese restaurant (hottest vindaloo I've ever had--just kept building!). I've read the books several times and seen the two previous movies twice. ROTK really measured up to expectations, IMO. Even when they departed from the book I thought the departures were probably necessary to transition from written word to the big screen. I was mildly surprised, but intensely pleased, that there did not appear to be any concessions to PC-ness.
elendil
Lark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: OT: LOTR - I get it now

Post by Lark »

rebl_rn wrote:I don't have any plans to learn Elvish or throw hobbit birthday parties or anything yet, but I am eager to re-read the books and see the movies again (extended versions) and learn some more about Middle Earth.
http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/default.htm

Ron rangwa amin?

http://www.grey-company.org/Circle/language/phrase.htm
elendil

Post by elendil »

Here's a lazy question: what are some good Tolkein related links? I know there's gotta be a million of 'em, but what would be some good ones? Maybe some all purpose type page that lists good sites?
elendil
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Dan loved ROTK (and the previous ones), as he had read the books as a teenager. I never read the books. I enjoyed about 45 seconds of the nine+ hours of LOTR movie material. I suffered through it for him.
~JessieD
FireFighterLT

Post by FireFighterLT »

hobbit birthday parties
Is that similer to midget tossing?
Culture Shock: I once told my wife she was a shopaholic and I was going to clean out her closet. So she goes to the mall and buys a $45,000 home security system and a pair of pumps
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

The second movie is wort it for the performance by Gollum alone.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

to all the people who don't get it, give it a chance, maybe it'll make some more sense to you too.
I feel fortunate in having received the gift of 'getting it' back when I was 3 or 4yrs old. My dad read us Jack in the Beanstalk and all those H C Anderson and Brothers Grimm fairy tales before we went to sleep. I've been mesmerized by stories ever since. I read slowly and savor the narrative. I churn the elements over in my mind between picking up a good book and fill in details the author didn't include. It's the sense of wonder and awe. It's placing yourself in extraordinary situations and asking yourself what would you do? And then asking what are you doing with the life you have. It's the suspicion and hope that life is more magical and significant than it seems on the surface. It's feeling connected with the hearts and minds that created those stories going back into the past. It's a reminder of what's good and right and worth fighting for. In this life, everything's ambiguous. Right and wrong are questionable and open to debate. This story was about people who, with little hope of success, knew what they had to do and went for it expecting to be wiped out. That's what blew me away. My favorite scene was when the giant elephants showed up sweeping everything before them and the Rohirrim king called his horsemen to form a line to attack them head-on. And they did. It gave me shivers. I put myself on a horse and imagined myself charging to destruction. I mean I climbed the bean stalk with Jack back when I was 3 or 4.

Now, the books had a bigger impact on me than the movies had. If you haven't read them and a good story is appealing, well...

If you are looking for another good story, I'd recommend Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. Tolkien got the ball rolling. There are a number of authors who picked up the notion and carried it forward.

(I'd add that Irish music has a similar impact on me. There's magic there.)
Happy New Year.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

"If you are looking for another good story, I'd recommend Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. "

There are six of them--two trilogies. They're worth it for the world building and character development.
John-N

Post by John-N »

elendil wrote:Here's a lazy question: what are some good Tolkein related links? I know there's gotta be a million of 'em, but what would be some good ones? Maybe some all purpose type page that lists good sites?
Here are two to start with:

http://www.theonering.net
http://www.lordoftherings.net

-John
Cori

Other Tolkien links

Post by Cori »

elendil wrote:Here's a lazy question: what are some good Tolkein related links? I know there's gotta be a million of 'em, but what would be some good ones? Maybe some all purpose type page that lists good sites?
Seconding John-N's recommendation of tORN - it's pretty much the classic, to my mind, and has an excellent "reading room" section where people have been discussing the book lovingly.

Some slightly more unusual, but equally fabulous places are:

LotR Maps - carefully drawn and annotated maps - serious stuff.
The Encyclopedia of Arda - for all those nagging queries that you just don't have time to reread the History of Middle Earth to answer.
If LotR had been written by someone else - I thought this was the funniest thing I'd seen in ages ... if you want to know how the "Fight Club" version of LotR might read, it's here. Cat in the Hat..? Little Prince..? Frodo Irwin's Dangerous Creatures of Middle Earth..? Geeky, but fantastic.

People who happen to want to learn Elvish (Quenya or Sindarin ... or actually, most ANY Tolkien-created language) are recommended to start at Ardalambion. Lark's link above to the Grey Company is fun, but not Tolkien-accurate (their version is often known as Grelvish .. nasty!)

PS. I love Tolkien, hate Donaldson. Sample from the library before spending out on it, IMHO.

PPS. My first post here in ages, and it's way OT. Bah!
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

FJohnSharp wrote:The second movie is wort it for the performance by Gollum alone.
I'll second that! Gollum is an astounding creation. This totally digital creature can stand the scrutiny of the closest closeups without looking fake, and the interactions with the real actors are flawless. His body really seems to obey the laws of physics-- he gives the feeling of having mass ( albeit small) and inertia. He casts shadows appropriately and his body surfaces have totally genuine looking textures. I totally believed him.
On top of that, he is a fully developed character who is compellingly schizo. You both loathe and empathize with him. His voice acting is fantastic. I loved the whole series, but whenever I think of these movies, Gollum pops up first in my mind.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I loved the LOTR when I read it. I do not watch movies but I did watch the FoTR and I just got the Two Towers for Christmas but haven't watched it yet. I do have a Tolkien book that I did not get too enthusiastic about. I bought a first edition first printing copy of The Silmarillion when it first came out. This printing had a mistake in the credits and was pulled from the shelves shortly after I got mine. I felt that this was a collection of unconnected, rambling, and unfinished material. I do think the movies give a decent feel for the books unlike Dune which I wondered where they lost touch with the original.

Keep whistling
Ron
mcfeeley

Post by mcfeeley »

Jerry Freeman wrote:Why am I getting a vague mental image of R. Crumb and something about meatballs?

Best wishes,
Jerry

I don't get it. :D

-- Dan M.