I'm having problems with my Burke. udate 6/9/3

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

I'm having problems with my Burke. udate 6/9/3

Post by Jack »

--updated part at the bottom--

For a long time I saved up for a Burke and I finally got enough to get one a few weeks ago, I now have a NB Al Pro D, I got it because the upper notes were supposed to be easy to hit, and I like playing up there, but this whistle has a hard time getting to high A (I need that not to play Happy Birthday), and the high B is almost impossible, forget anything above high B. It's ear shattering. The bottom part is just wonderful, though.

And the tube is straight all the way through. There are no perturbations that I can see. Is this normal? I was under the impression that inside the tube had bumps, but this one is just straight, like a Generation.

I should send it back, shouldn't I?
Last edited by Jack on Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

send it back cran, mike gives 30 days money back guaranty. but even after them 30 days, he'll fix it. he's a man with a very big reputation, he'll set it right. you 'll not have any regrets! i can't see any perturbation in my high D brass ps either.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Ok, I'll do that. I was planning on mabey sending it back within the 30 days anyway because I shouldn't have bought it in the first place but I love the tone and the look and the feel, it's mahvelousse.

I'll just send it back with a note about why it doesn't work right, and see what happens. Waiting is just what kills me, because now I'm not getting my mail but once or twice a week, too. I bought this whistle like a long time ago (a few weeks, I can't remember. I should find the money order reciept and see when it says) and just got it but I can tell some things aren't right. I thought the high A would be relatively easy, and when it wasn't, that really surprised me. :sniffle:

Wrapped up in the mail, here you go...
lixnaw

Post by lixnaw »

ye... nobody's perfect. even mike burke makes mistakes, but he'll fix it, you 'll not have any regrets, it's worth the wait
glauber

Re: I'm having problems with my Burke.

Post by glauber »

Cranberry wrote:And the tube is straight all the way through. There are no perturbations that I can see. Is this normal? I was under the impression that inside the tube had bumps, but this one is just straight, like a Generation.
The "perturbation" in my Burke (brass sessionpro (wide bore)) consists of a plastic ring that doesn't go all the way through. It's located near the tuning slide area (inside the whistle). There are no other bumps, and the tube is straight (like a Generation).

By all means, send it back. The Burke should be the easiest whistle to play. Mike's a very nice guy, he'll help you.

g
On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog!
--Wellsprings--
Michael Burke

Post by Michael Burke »

Hi everyone,
Just saw this post and couldn't see an email for Cranberry. Sorry, I don't know which forum handles go with the names we get on whistle orders.
In any case, I am surprised that Cranberry is having a problem hitting any of the high notes on the D Aluminum Narrow bore. Joanie Madden uses this model to play airs on stage and to record with because the upper register is easy to get, has a lot of dynamic and is not harsh or out of balance with the rest of the scale. I want to see what is wrong with that instrument that makes it not jump properly.
As to Perturbations, the narrow bore whistles have three of them in the bore.
One at the very top, one mid upper bore and one at the tuning slide. Some of my low whistles have as many as 6 perturbations in the bore, but I don't put anything in the bore that is not needed to make it play in tune, so different models have differing arrangements. A perturbation is either a constriction or an expansion of the bore at a strategic place to make the octaves match, make the upper octave note easier to hit, or to strengthen a note. It is my goal that nobody even be aware they are there, so they may not be seen or noticed. What should be noticed is the rich tone, perfect tuning and dynamic one gets from their proper placement and polarity.
So, Cranberry, please contact me if you have not. I want to see why you are having problems with that whistle and get you a proper one that jumps easily and is not shrill in the upper octave. Can't imagine what might have caused it, but we are not perfect and must have missed something.
All the best
Mike
Jerry Freeman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Hi, Michael.

Since you're paying attention to this thread, I'll chime in to tell you that a generous soul recently gifted me a WBB soprano D you made in 2/2000.

It's a wonderful whistle, an absolute joy to play, and I'm delighted to have this opportunity to thank you personally for it.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Yes, let me jump on here and thank you another time for the great whistles! If it ain't wood, it's Burke!!!!

Mary
JayMitch

Post by JayMitch »

Cranberry, what type of whistle(s) were you playing before you got the Burke?

Some whistles, like Sweetones, require minimal breath support. Others, like Susatos, require very solid breath support to get the high notes. Burke's are somewhere in the middle.

So if you have moved from something like a Sweetone or a Clark original to a Burke, the high notes might seem a bit more difficult at first. You will make the adjustment if you give yourself a little time, and will be rewarded for the effort.

If you know a more experienced player have him/her try it out before you send it back. If there really is a problem with the whistle I'm sure Michael will take care of it. But in my experience, the quality of Burke whistles is very consistent. (I just received a Burke low G that is just a delight. Thanks, Michael!)

--Jay
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

I second what Jay wrote. It requires some concentration at first to play the higher notes, but this quickly becomes automatic. Keep this in mind in case Mike doesn't find anything wrong with the whistle.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I agree with the above. My Brass Pro Sessions is my favorite whistle. It does take a bit of a change in breath to hit the high notes.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Just love my Brass Session Pro.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Michael Burke wrote:Hi everyone,
. Joanie Madden uses this model to play airs on stage and to record with because the upper register is easy to get, has a lot of dynamic and is not harsh or out of balance with the rest of the scale. Mike
Joanie was gracious enough to spend about 45 minutes playing my whistles after a concert about a year ago. She blows the HECK out of a whistle-- a very strong, well supported breath probably developed by playing her Boehm flute. My own wooden whistles don't take a lot of air, and it took Joanie a minute or two to restrain herself enough to not overblow them ( but boy, did it sound great when she did!).
Although I haven't played this particular model Burke, I'd suspect that Cran's whistle playing just needs a bit more oomph to get those notes. Warming the whistle head before playing may be a factor too. Cranberry-- if you DO decide to keep the whistle when you get it back, work on adding just a bit of a "huff" to your breath when you play the higher notes. With practice it will become second nature.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Ridseard

Post by Ridseard »

brewerpaul wrote:Although I haven't played this particular model Burke, I'd suspect that Cran's whistle playing just needs a bit more oomph to get those notes.
Indeed, my Al Pro NB thrives on aggressive playing, even more so than the Pro Session. It loves tunes which jump around a lot in the upper octave and can easily cruise right on up to third octave D. Also, it has plenty of volume for small sessions. The Pro Session has a richer tone, and the Brass Pro NB is quieter and takes less breath pressure, but the Al Pro NB is the whistle which goes with me everywhere because of its versatility.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I planned on updating this after I got back and I just forgot, so I'm updating it now, for the good name of Mr. Burke and his whistles, etc.

The whistle in question just wasn't what I'd expected, the higher notes were different than I was used to (every one of the cheapy brands, whitecap, hoover SB, plus Elfsong, and a couple I'd borrowed), I'm not sure if that's how they were supposed to be or not, but the whistle got mixed up in the mail and then Mr. Burke was out of town and then had health problems, so that a month passed without exchange about the whistle, he offered to just send my money back and I accepted because I need it now anyway.

I personally didn't see any perturbations at all, it looked like a perfectly straight tube to me, but I very well could be blind. :P