Ebay for really old generations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

Quote @ Parcour25
So, a tip o'the hat to Mr. Sponks... you only get one pass at the brass ring... and either seize the moment or live with yor regrets...
I doubt the seller even knew what s/he had. They were described as flutes, after all.
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

Parcour25 wrote:Did anyone notice.....?

$272.50 to Mr. Sponks,......

a first time bidder on ebay with one and only one transaction. Many people might ridicule this purchase as excessive, insane, foolish. I personally think it was brilliant, if as you say, these items were rare, and almost never seen in this kind of pristine condition...

So, a tip o'the hat to Mr. Sponks... you only get one pass at the brass ring... and either seize the moment or live with yor regrets...

CHEERS!!!!!!!

Parcour deChasse
My very thought, Parcour. :)
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

Absolutely true! Like found money.

It would have been nice if you had wandered into their garage sale last week and asked the owner what she would take for the 4 flutes and they might have said, .50 cents apiece. Instead, they didn't sell at the sale so they were uploaded to ebay for the hoped for price of $11.95... BINGO!!!

eBay is a cultural, sociological tectonic plate. The surface hasn't even been scratched yet as far as what it all means. If I knew how to do a poll, I'd like to ask the chiffilers on this board if they have 1. ever bought anything on the bay, 2. ever sold anything. 3. Neither, but often look, 4. Never even go there... (don't understand how it works).

Cranberry, can you do that for me?
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
Jack

Post by Jack »

Sure, I'll do it. :)

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?p=131969

P.S., I'd PM you telling you how to do a poll but I really suck at describing things.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

kevin m. wrote:
DaleWisely wrote:Hm. Eat lead. The Brain Damage Special.

Dale
You could play 'Heavy Metal' on them (ouch!). :lol:
Good idea....... think I'll go head bang through some Metallica. :party:
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

O.K. Folks,I'll come clean- I am 'Mr. Spokes' and I'm shortly to be the NEW owner of those LOVELY old Generations! :party: :party: :party:
I hope at least some people on this board 'got' my pseudonym- 'Mr.Spokes' Mashiyane was a popular 'Kwela' whistler in 50's S. Africa-I first used the name when I half heartedly bid on a Hohner whistle that was on E-Bay last year.
After a vintage Generation whistle (a 'C'? ) was sold on E-bay last year(for $100 I think),I vowed to myself that if one ever came up for sale again,then I would buy it! Then,amazingly of course,we get FOUR vintage whistles in the one package!
This is the first time that I'd 'seriously' bid on E-Bay(I had to hunt around for my pass word from last time)and thankfully,I was the lucky winner!
Some people would probably come to the conclusion that I was 'crackers' for paying so much for four old tinwhistles :boggle: -I would have agreed a couple of years ago, just goes to show what a chronic disease 'WHOA' can become!
I can't wait to get my mits on them and actually hear what they sound like!
I doubt that these will be regular 'playing' whistles- I'll probably display them in a case,and only play them on 'high days and holidays'.
I doubt that the lead fipples can cause anymore damage to a hopeless case like me! :lol:

P.S.- Many thanks to Brad, for alerting me to the sale in the first place-I formerly checked E-Bay very rarely!
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Some people would probably come to the conclusion that I was 'crackers' for paying so much for four old tinwhistles
'Crackers'. What a great phrase. We need to import some good English phrases into our vocabulary here in the States.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
brad maloney

Post by brad maloney »

Congrats, I would have liked to owned them, but my wife would have my head on a plate for such a transaction. I'm glad those whistles are going to someone who can appreciate them. :D :D
Paul

Post by Paul »

Brad, I understand. I don't think there is any way in the world that I could EVER make Cindy understand a purchase like that even though I KNOW that I would be right about it! :lol: :) :)

Congratulations, Kevin. You have to post a clip so we can all hear them. That's a real find.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Kevin,

I would be inclined to look for a reversable way to seal the lead fipples. Lead poisoning is real, and it is insidious.

I would use a clear automotive lacquer, possibly thinning it with some lacquer thinner. Then I would paint the lead with that either by dipping the whistlehead and cleaning the lacquer off the outsides or by finding a way to apply the lacquer inside the windway. I would use thin lacquer so it won't affect the dimensions of the windway. Lacquer is a "solvent release" finish, meaning it doesn't polymerize (change chemically into a plastic-like material), but remains soluble in lacquer thinner or other solvent (e.g. acetone) and so can be washed off.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Parcour25

Post by Parcour25 »

paraniod?

Probabaly 90% of the homes out there that are over 40 years old have lead water pipes. The galvanized iron came after.... So, every day, you are drinking and showering in water that has been served up to you in a lead condiut. That would seem to me to have more potential for assimilation than an occasional incidental handling. There is lead based paint all over the world, and even lead based silverware.

I would advise the owner NOT to tamper with the originality of the instruments. For historical and collectible integrity. You are not going to have any effect from placing a lead fipple on your lip. Sorry Jerry. I disagree.
Tryst me. I am, yours truly......

Parcour v. D'Chasse, Esq.

Save the trees,..... not the Bush....
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

kevin m.,

Please check your PMs.

-Jonathan-
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Parcour25 wrote:paraniod?

Probabaly 90% of the homes out there that are over 40 years old have lead water pipes. The galvanized iron came after.... So, every day, you are drinking and showering in water that has been served up to you in a lead condiut. That would seem to me to have more potential for assimilation than an occasional incidental handling. There is lead based paint all over the world, and even lead based silverware.

I would advise the owner NOT to tamper with the originality of the instruments. For historical and collectible integrity. You are not going to have any effect from placing a lead fipple on your lip. Sorry Jerry. I disagree.
Please don't gloss this over.

The lead toxicity danger is real. The courts are full of lawsuits for parents of children who have been permanently harmed by lead contamination from paint in poorly maintained rented housing. Beethoven's many complaints, including his depression and rages have now been explained by poisoning revealed by the high levels of lead found in his hair. My wife, who is a family practice physician, is required to test children for lead levels to help protect them from permanent brain damage. Yes, there may be some lead from the solder in older copper pipes. It's worthwhile to check in older homes to see if there is significant contamination and if so, use a drinking water filter that removes the lead. The fact that there is already some lead in our environment doesn't give a rationalization for ignoring additional lead sources that can be easily mitigated. Heavy metals bioaccumulate over a lifetime and are very difficult to get rid of once they're in the body.

I became seriously ill about ten years ago from long term exposure to toxic chemicals from my work. I have never fully recovered, and will have the rest of my life to wish I had taken the hazards more seriously.

Believe me, you don't want to be responsible for advising someone not to worry about putting lead in their mouth. If someone wants to do that after considering ways to avoid exposure, that's their personal choice, but I would never take it upon myself to suggest that they not take the risk seriously.

Best wishes,
Jerry
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

I'll add another comment here.

What I've suggested, I would not consider "tampering" with the instrument because what I'm suggesting is fully reversible. It is similar to what is done with oil paintings, including priceless antique oil paintings when they are "varnished" using a fully removeable, solvent release coating made of white shellac, gum copal, etc.

I think these instruments should be played. It would be a shame if they lay forever silent, and it would also be a shame if someone were harmed by not taking care to seal the lead in them.

Best wishes,
Jerry
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Thanks for your concern Jerry,and I'm very sorry to hear about your medical problems due to exposure to toxic substances at work (something that I can empathise with,as the town I live in had an asbestos works for many years.There actually used to be 'white mountains' of asbestos waste-older folks-the ones that are still alive- can remember playing on them as kids.I would reckon that everyone here probably knew someone,or knows a family who lost someone as a result this industrial timebomb :o ).
I also know that the Roman Empire had lead piping- and look what happened to them*.
I can also see Parcour's point about maintaining the historical 'authenticity' of these instruments.
I certainly know that you can't take exposure to Heavy metals lightly(no pun intended-honest),but I don't think that I would be playing them every day.A thought just struck me (these things happen occassionally!)-I have had dental fillings made from amalgam which contain MERCURY, for around thirty years (quick joke-Definition of an Englishman ; someone with crap teeth who collects something :lol: ).So where do you draw the line,if indeed there is a line to be drawn?
Hmm..I'm all confused now! :-?
* Oh yes-I have NO intention of entering my very own personal 'Dark Ages' due to lead poisoning!
P.S.- just read your further comment Jerry-good point.
"I blame it on those Lead Fipples y'know."