Planxty 2004 Live album

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
fel bautista
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Planxty 2004 Live album

Post by fel bautista »

Just got my copy in the mail!! Putting it on my iPod as I type
gregorygraham
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Planxty recording nua

Post by gregorygraham »

What's the verdict? Any new material? [New in the sense of not re-hashed stuff from previous recordings].
Gregory Graham
Toronto
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

No, its all the old stuff, but then they were one of the bands that got me into Irish music so I am very fond of their material. New lyrics ( or maybe lyrics that weren't allowed back in the 70s) on parts of Arthur McBride, a wonderful version of the "the Dark Slender Boy". The bonus track is Sean O'Dwyer of the Glens (on whistle) as part of the west coast of clare track.

I also bought the DVD. Just watching the group interact was amazing. The DVD as three tracks more than the CD, so you may want get the DVD and extract the music from it.

The documentary that started Planxty thinking about playing again is included as well.

The great part is that I can take this DVD to work and show people what the music is all about.
toddyboy50

Post by toddyboy50 »

How's the performance overall, compared to their older recordings? Is it worth getting this live version for the music itself? Thanks = Tod
"Now your dancing child with his Chinese suit, he spoke to me, I took his flute. No, I wasn’t very cute to him, was I..." - Bob Dylan
John Mulhern

Post by John Mulhern »

Hiya,
Fel...where'd ya get your copy? I've only seen it advertised on Christy Moore's website. Is it available for a wider distribution yet?
djm

Post by djm »

I just received both the CD and the DVD of the performance. There's three extra tracks on the DVD. Its pretty much same old same old, but I have been listening to the LPs for 30 years, and this is the closest I'm ever going to get to seeing them in concert, so the DVD is for home and the CD is for the truck.

If you already like Planxty, its all great stuff, and the pipes are really well recorded to stand out in the mix. Everytime O'Flynn joins in a tune on the pipes the audience goes nuts - good thing he has no ego problems. :wink:

They are both available on the net from www.irishmusicmail.com.

I also got "Give up Yer Aul Sins", which I had heard a lot about. If you ever got a kick out of Art Linkletter you'll probably enjoy this as well.

djm
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

I found it funny what O'Flynn says about the Virginia Reel... no opinions there :o :o :o He's right.. but I thought it was funny that it was left in... like he was scolding someone somewhere.... there was great craic on the stage though.. I got the DVD... and love it.. .although I love Planxty anyway.

PD.
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

OOOh! What did he say?! That's a great tune BTW, one of my favorites, especially the way he plays it.
Patrick D'Arcy

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

HAHA! You'll have to buy the DVD ;)

Patrick.
Douglas

Post by Douglas »

I used to listen to the Planxty albums a lot in the 70's and 80's. I should get the DVD. I also need to get my turn table working again.
fel bautista

Post by fel bautista »

I got it as djm observed at Irishmusicmail.com. I shall bring it to the next club meeting (July???). I just watched the DVD and I think any fan should buy it.
carel

Planxty 2004 Live album

Post by carel »

Got the DVD today.
Now I remember again why I always wanted to play the uilleann pipes.
(1977 in my case)... waited 25 years to get one.
Interviews are interesting too.
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Got the DVD myself last monday and I haven't really left the house since...........
It's fuggen deadly. Absatively brilliant!!!!!!!!!
I made the consious decision to move countries around this time last year and then I found out that THE BEST BAND IN WORLD, EVER was getting back together for a few gigs. I would have sold my left nut for a flight and a ticket for any of those gigs. But I don't feel that bad. I did get to see the Paul Brady gigs when he put together the "LIberty Belles" group back together for the first time since 1978.
Mr. Brady himself, Donal Lunny, Andy Irvine, Paddy Glackin, Noel Hill and Liam O'Flynn. It was almost Planxty, without Christy Moore of course.
A few of the hits were played that night!!!
But what I was getting at was that Mr. O'Flynn told a joke.....................
Did you hear about the whistle player that fell into a big pile of manure..............? he picked up his whistle and blew the sh*t out of it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tommy
djm

Post by djm »

You can list your left nut on eBay here: http://motors.listings.ebay.com/ATV_Bod ... mnlayoutZ3

:D

djm
Paul

Post by Paul »

I've been a Planxty fan for years. I just ordered the DVD. I can't wait to get it. djm, I used your link to Irish Music Mail. How long did it take to get yours? -Thanks