Why are Irish sessions so fraught?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Re: Why are Irish sessions so fraught?

Post by tommykleen »

Perhaps this has been covered in this sprawling thread already...
[pet peeve] it bothers me when a veteran session player brings a special friend-non player (SFNP) with them, and plops them down in a chair in the circle.[/pet peeve] Especially when it is a session that is a tight fit as is. I went to the Friday session here in town (a rare, special treat...for me any way) and no one seemed interested in getting the SFNP to give it up for a player. I eventually went home, feeling taken down a peg. I am not the kind to say "You...out!" Whose responsibility is this?

t
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

tommykleen wrote:[pet peeve] it bothers me when a veteran session player brings a special friend-non player (SFNP) with them, and plops them down in a chair in the circle.[/pet peeve]
Ooh. Good one. I've noticed, too, that SFNP usually has the same patrician, pleased-as-punch expression and poise as your cat when it's discovered you scribbling away and has claimed some of the paperwork you need to get to for That Special Place To Sit. Which is somewhat less bothersome than the fact that the session player brought him/her, but it's part of the package.

I never really mind, though, if SFNP is ahead of the game and not only knows that there's a time when a graceful vacating is called for, s/he also does it when it comes.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

Good one, Tommy. That drives me nuts. It's fine when they graciously move, but I've been to a good few sessions where I had to forlornly sit in a second row or not bother playing at all while an SFNP sat there in the middle of the circle, delighted that their Significant Other is such a talented musician and that they are part of all this great fun and great music.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

:lol: :cry: :lol: :cry:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

I love that clip! It's been making the rounds on Facebook among my ITM-playing friends for the last couple of days.
I keep picturing John Joe from The Boys and Girl from County Clare: "I'll bet ye know ALL the tunes!"