the case for learning one instrument

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
tin tin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

the case for learning one instrument

Post by tin tin »

Jumping off from the thread about multi-instrumentalists in a session, I recently came across the website of West Virginia old-time player Dwight Diller. Here are a couple of things he writes on his FAQ page.

While I've dabbled with various instruments and styles over the years, over the past 6 or so years I've zeroed in on almost exclusively playing one style on one instrument, so I'm inclined to agree with Diller. But I'm curious to see what other perspectives people have.

From http://www.dwightdiller.com/faq.html
A student should pick the instrument that s/he feels COMPELLED to play and work on that to the exclusion of the others. ... It's hard enough trying to learn the instrument that is burning in your heart to play without wasting time on another instrument only to go to what you really want to play.
I continue to see students picking up a second instrument when they hardly have a clue how to play the first instrument. Yes, there are a handful of people in this world who can very quickly become proficient on any instrument, but they are probably not to be trusted if they are that good. HAHA. I remember the WVa fiddler, Wilson Douglas, saying to a person, whom he had helped on the fiddle, but had just arrived with a spanking new banjo, looking for affirmation: "Why don't you go give that thing to someone you hate?" Wilson had grown up in the tradition and understood what kind of sacrifice it takes to learn the music. How can someone who has not grown up in the tradition have any possibility of learning two instruments well? ... I am speaking from experience: choose your instrument carefully and then invest all of you, all of yourself in it. ... Forget shortcuts completely. This, then, will give you the greatest payback for your investment over the years. That doesn't mean that you can't plunk or saw around on the another instrument farther along, but it does point out that you won't become a master of two instruments on a given kind of music. No matter what kind of music. And reality is, you better stick with ONLY ONE kind of music; you cannot do it all. ... Question: which burns in your heart to play? which one do you feel compelled to play? Go with your heart, your spirit. It won't lie.
crookedtune

Re: the case for learning one instrument

Post by crookedtune »

Dwight Diller has very, very strong feelings on all subjects.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
dsmootz

Post by dsmootz »

To me, playing music is about fun. If I happen to gain fame and fortune as a side effect, that'd be just peachy, but I have a career, and music is not it. I like trying new instruments, and for that matter, genres and styles of music, so that's what I'm going to do. I think it's true that the best way to master an instrument is to focus on it, and while "mastery" is basically the implicit goal of playing any instrument, a lot of people will be generally happier going where their whims leads them.
Hotblack

Post by Hotblack »

I play my whistle most of the time. That's the one I want to become reasonably proficient at (whilst keeping it fun). I have a guitar and enjoy hacking a few chords out of it now and again. It makes a nice change when I've over-whistled the neighbours.
Cheers

David

I can resist everything except temptation - Oscar Wilde.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

So far as making progress on an instrument I fully agree with what he's saying. Arguing about whether it's more enjoyable to dabble with many or focus on one is pointless as everyone's opinions and goals will be different (though I don't see that as the subject of his point either).

If you want to be great or even good on your instrument you'll need to focus (and this comes from someone who currently has in his music room a set of pipes, whistles, guitar, bodhran, mandolin, accordion...). Of course, this especially applies to those of us who work for a living outside of the musician arena and only have so many hours a week to devote to playing.

I do enjoy dabbling with multiple instruments but each time I go to a tionol or workshop to work on the one I LOVE, I see a handful of younger ones playing circles around me and my head hangs low because I know it's due to lack of focus. Oh to be young and have no responsibilities to hold us back. The only answer as I see it (to being great on your instrument) in adulthood is to focus on one instrument. Of course, if your joy comes from being mediocre on many instruments then that's the path for you and there's likely no inner struggle on this topic for you.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

I don't think any "serious" musicians have a problem with people who aren't "serious"* at least until these other people start doing things like promoting themselves as the real tradition, playing gigs, teaching, hosting sessions and/or running websites devoted to them, or otherwise denying that what they are doing is following whims.

* Note, I use the word serious here to mean that one has focussed intensely on one instrument and style of music, devoted time and energy to it, has developed skill and musicianship and in short plays the style and instrument well. I don't mean it to be derogatory, as I agree, there is no problem in dabbling, or trying lots of things, if that makes you happy. But, you can't also claim to be an expert, then! As the saying goes, you can't have your cake and eat it too...
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Well put as usual, Nico.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

What if you feel COMPELLED to play five instruments? What if you didn't have access to a wide range of musical instruments in your youth, and now that you have lots of catching up to do? 'cause that's my dilemma.

I'm a professional artist and an amateur musician. I've been playing piano for 5 or 6 years, accordion for one and have recently acquired a bodhran, a fiddle and two whistles as well.

The different instruments have different functions: Piano for classical. Accordion for the love of its sound. Bodhran to find out if I've Got Rhythm. Fiddle... probably overambitious, but I love love love good fiddle. The whistle is recent but my comfort instrument, because I find it easy (years of recorder lessons as a child); it's my "playing with others" instrument, and particularly good for fast jigs & reels.

In my art, I would never consider confining myself to one technique only. The whole point of it is to explore, learn, find out what textures I can make etc. There are things you can do in collage that don't work in oils, and vice versa. Sometimes I need to make a sculpture from burnt typewriters, sometimes I need to draw in charcoal. It's the same with music, isn't it? Jigs & reels don't work on piano, and Bach doesn't sound so good on the whistle.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I perceived the point of the original post as: you won't become the master of one instrument and/or musical style by playing multiple instruments/styles. Mastering an instrument or artistic genre doesn't seem to be what's compelling you so it's not really the same topic.

The OP applies to art as well I believe. You will likely take longer or fail to become a master impressionist painter if you divide your time between that and several other styles. As an artist myself, I have also explored a vast variance of medium but I do recognize that to become "masterful" with any style requires an intense focus, an obsession if you will. You will know you are on the way to mastering an isntrument when you stop putting it down because another one is "better suited" to something else (just my opinion).
AlBrown

Post by AlBrown »

I wish I could focus my attention on just one instrument, but I find myself called in different directions. So I compromise by settling for a few select instruments. But I know I would be better if I narrowed it down to one.
On the other hand, I have been married for 33 years, so I guess I focused my attention properly in that important aspect of my life!
Gordon

Post by Gordon »

Once you are well advanced on an instrument, other instruments come easier, and you'll most likely excel on that second or third instrument as well -- in time. It's really the discipline of musical chops in general and the understanding of the music being played in particular that differentiates the skilled player from the dabbler, and not the sole focus of one specific instrument. A classically trained violinist will (probably, depending on the individual) have less trouble switching to classical piano than to Irish fiddle.

Trying to take on multiple instruments when not advanced on a single instrument is unlikely to result in virtuosity on any. But I think the focus should be on the specific music and interpretation, not merely on whether you should or shouldn't enjoy applying your talents to multiple instruments. I played lead guitar for many years, then added flute, then switched to Irish flute. My ability to play mandolin improves proportionately with my immersion in Irish flute playing, and not hours spent on mandolin, as my fingering and picking abilities were honed on the electric guitar.

Of course, mileage will vary, too, as talents and skills vary. In other words, this entire thread topic really doesn't work as general advice, one way or the other.
Anyanka

Post by Anyanka »

straycat82 wrote:I perceived the point of the original post as: you won't become the master of one instrument and/or musical style by playing multiple instruments/styles. Mastering an instrument or artistic genre doesn't seem to be what's compelling you so it's not really the same topic.

The OP applies to art as well I believe. You will likely take longer or fail to become a master impressionist painter if you divide your time between that and several other styles. As an artist myself, I have also explored a vast variance of medium but I do recognize that to become "masterful" with any style requires an intense focus, an obsession if you will. You will know you are on the way to mastering an isntrument when you stop putting it down because another one is "better suited" to something else (just my opinion).
You are probably right about the point of the original post, but I wanted to take it elsewhere!

Basically, the choice you make - in music or art - is whether to try to become technically excellent or whether to explore, learn & find means of expressing yourself. Another way of looking at it: are you playing (painting) for yourself or just for an audience? Both are valid choices (and they are not completely mutually exclusive); however, I personally get more enjoyment from those musicians, writers, artists etc who are obviously in it for the love of the thing, not just in order to impress/excel/become famous.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Another way of looking at it: are you playing (painting) for yourself or just for an audience?
Ah yes, poor old Henry Bohannon never worked that one out satisfactory, did he?

My brain hurts

buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

Common sense suggests that if one concentrates on one instrument then one will make better progress toward mastery.

The following is general, not strictly relating to ITM...

I play a heap of instruments: mandolin, tin whistle, fiddle, bodhran*, guitar, tenor banjo, bouzouki, harmonica etc etc etc. I'm not very good at any of them, but I'm just good enough to have fun with all of them. I can't help it. They are all irresistible. Many, many times I have heard a song or tune that featured a certain instrument and been so impressed that I just had to have a go.

I try to resist (I resisted for a year or more after I first felt the urge to try playing fiddle), but it always lurks at the back of my mind until I succumb.

I'm the first to admit that I'm not good, and that I'm certainly no expert. However, I do gig, and I get away with it. People seem to have fun along with me, and they also seem to accept my enthusiasm in lieu of ability or talent. So long as they are entertained, my particular audience doesn't seem to care that the entertainment doesn't come from virtuosity!

I am well known for closing gigs/sessions by apologising for the noise. It has accidentally become a catch phrase that people yell back at me... along with other things.

One instrument may be better. Lots is possibly more fun.

* Yeah, I know...
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
highland-piper

Post by highland-piper »

buddhu wrote:Common sense suggests that if one concentrates on one instrument then one will make better progress toward mastery.

Yes exactly. There are plenty of examples of people who play more than one instrument at the master level, especially in ITM, but in other genres as well.

When champion fiddler Mark O'Connor was a young man he went on tour with jazz violinist Stephane Grapellie, playing guitar. To me it's hard to imagine someone keeping up both contest fiddle chops and jazz guitar chops, but if you're compelled to do so...

I have a friend with a masters degree in classical guitar performance who has been playing Irish and Scottish harp -- one instrument, two genres (closely related though).

Gráinne Hambly won the All Ireland contest in harp and in concertina. In the same year! They changed the rules as a result...

But even for beginners, and especially if they're young, a lot of musical teachers say it's good for a student to study piano concurrently with their main instrument.