Snare drum in ceili bands

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Snare drum in ceili bands

Post by FJohnSharp »

Watching the Comhaltas videos, all the ceili bands have a snare drum/woodblock. Does anyone here play snare drum for one? It sounds like the main thing is to pretty much match the rhythm of the melody while throwing in a few rolls here and there, and switching to woodblock for some sections. My main instrument is drums and I offered to play snare for our ceili band if they wanted. I wouldn't want to do it forever but it may be fun once or twice.

Anyway, does anyone have any tips?
MTGuru

Re: Snare drum in ceili bands

Post by MTGuru »

I'm interested in responses to this, too. A few months ago I bought myself a nice practice pad and sticks, and have been teaching myself the rudiments, with an eye to ceili band playing. My impression is the same as yours - basically following the melody, with a tasteful application of rolls, flams, etc.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Flam accents for jigs. Flam taps for polkas. Flam-a-diddles for reels. :D

Hey MT, if you're serious about developing chops, George Stone's "Stick Control' is the bible for it. You probably cannot find a great drummer who did not wear out his copy.

I think the great advantage you and I will have in this is that we already know the tunes from being whistle players. You cannot overstate the importance of knowing the tunes (bohdran players, are you listening?)
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

FJohnSharp wrote:
I think the great advantage you and I will have in this is that we already know the tunes from being whistle players. You cannot overstate the importance of knowing the tunes (bohdran players, are you listening?)
:lol:

I have always believed that the greatest crime ever inflicted on ITM, was firstly The Ceili Bands.
Second was the snare drum.

The horrendous sound of the snare was there to keep the boys, and girls..not to mention the dancers, in time.

There was no amplification around in those days.

Everybody danced to the rhythm of the snare....knowledge of the tune had very little to do with anything..if your're dancing.

Been to many Ceilis then.. :lol: you boys???

Slan,
D. :lol: :lol:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

No in fact I have not. My only exposure is watching the Comhaltas videos of All Ireland competiton winners, which have no dancers and (I presume) place a premium on knowing the music, being a competition and all.

I confess I do not like the sound of a snare drum in ITM. And I wish just one of them would use a piper or a whistler. But, if our group ever decides to branch out and need a snare, I'd like to know how.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

FJohnSharp wrote:No in fact I have not. My only exposure is watching the Comhaltas videos of All Ireland competiton winners, which have no dancers and (I presume) place a premium on knowing the music, being a competition and all.

I confess I do not like the sound of a snare drum in ITM. And I wish just one of them would use a piper or a whistler. But, if our group ever decides to branch out and need a snare, I'd like to know how.

I have often wondered if Comhaltas as done more good than harm to the cause..the ITM one.

OK..for many years they have preserved the music against all odds. I have a lot of respect for them.

The world, and the music, has moved on a bit. Being a living, breathing tradition it must move forward and I cannot see Comhaltas respecting that.

Meself and a now famous guitarist were having a drink in Dublin one night and went down to a basement room where the fiddles and flutes were swinging.
We were asked to leave because the guitar was not fashionable at the time and my ponytail was halfway down my back.

Kevin Glackin..a mighty player now, was half asleep on his mammys knee...before meself and "Django" left we saw him getting slapped up out of his dreams and ordered to play...

There has always been a very closed shop in Comhaltas.

Snare drums belong to Jazz....and Vice versa...

Slan,
D. :D

W.B.Yeats
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

FJohnSharp wrote:No in fact I have not. My only exposure is watching the Comhaltas videos of All Ireland competiton winners, which have no dancers and (I presume) place a premium on knowing the music, being a competition and all.

Hi FJohnSharp

If you are competing in ceili band drumming you are better playing with a box or banjo player or a small group of players. A piper or a whistle player would be drowned out by the drums. If you are competing on bodhran, then flute, whistle or pipes are ideal.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

dubhlinn wrote:
I would like to believe you are laughing with me and not at me, if only I were laughing.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

FJohnSharp wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:
I would like to believe you are laughing with me and not at me, if only I were laughing.

A true story Bro..every word.

Slan,

W.B.Yeats
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

If you're going to take it up, be very attentive to dynamics. I've played in ceili bands on numerous occasions, and you don't have to worry about being too quiet. Play no louder than a restrained mezzopiano or mezzoforte, that is all that's required.

You also have to communicate with the rest of the band about tune starts, tune changes, and the end of a medley. You start together, you change together, and you end together. Drummers use rim shots or the wood block to signal to the other players. There's a fair amount thinking you have to do, you have to be on the ball.
joshD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by joshD »

Hey all,

I play in the Old Bay Ceili Band that competed last year in the Fleadh. I think that the Drums get a bad wrap due to it's so easy to make fun of them. Hell, I make fun of them and I am first and foremost a drummer by trade. I try and keep the swing in the music and follow the melody line as close as possible. To much drums can be disturbing to the overall sound of the band and should be monitored closely. I love the drums in a ceili band :thumbsup: I wish I had some time to put some of the recordings of the band up now but I don't. You can search us on Youtube or the Comhaltas site. Will see in a day or two putting some audio up. Just my two cents. Everyone is intitled to there opinion which I respect. :)

Josh
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Pat Cannady wrote:If you're going to take it up, be very attentive to dynamics. I've played in ceili bands on numerous occasions, and you don't have to worry about being too quiet. Play no louder than a restrained mezzopiano or mezzoforte, that is all that's required.

You also have to communicate with the rest of the band about tune starts, tune changes, and the end of a medley. You start together, you change together, and you end together. Drummers use rim shots or the wood block to signal to the other players. There's a fair amount thinking you have to do, you have to be on the ball.

I would have thought that the musicians kinda know when the tune changes....

They probably figured out that when it gets loud and furious, it' coming up to the change.Third time round at a Dance...

Then it's time for the mighty lash on the blocks..

Slan,

W.B.Yeats
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Yeah, you would think so, but when you're playing for sets (and having a beer or two) it's sometimes hard to keep track of how many repeats since the number of tunes and tune iterations can vary from set to set, and from figure to figure. There's a bit of effort involved in remembering the nth figure of y set has z bars and is danced to jigs...and so what do you do? If you don't have an arrangement to fit it right away you have to make it up on the spot. If you've the good fortune to play for experienced, adventurous, and generous set dancers on a regular basis and have arrangements for most of the sets, that's great, but sometimes you're gonna get caught if you don't play for sets a lot. A solid drummer who knows the sets, knows the figures, the numbers of bars in each figure and the tune genres required, who doesn't play too loud and communicates changes is a big help. I've played with drummers who play too loud, play too fast (even for the dancers), who ignored the tunes, and didn't communicate with the melody players and I know what I prefer. Yeah we melody people need to have our heads screwed on tight while playing, too. A good ceili band performance is a real team effort, everyone working together to lift the dancers right up off the ground. Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes, not so much.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

BigDavy wrote: .....If you are competing in ceili band drumming you are better playing with a box or banjo player or a small group of players. A piper or a whistle player would be drowned out by the drums. If you are competing on bodhran, then flute, whistle or pipes are ideal.

For some inexplicable reason I associate
snare drums with INVASION
and
bodhran with the down trodden.

The historical filters down into the musical too.
Whistle or flute and bodhran stirs a cross cultural ethos in me
whereas box and snare
makes me run like a hare .....
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

talasiga wrote:For some inexplicable reason I associate...bodhran with the down trodden.
Well, they really have only themselves to blame. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician