Snare drum in ceili bands

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Snare drum in ceili bands

Post by Ro3b »

talasiga wrote:For some inexplicable reason I associate
snare drums with INVASION
and
bodhran with the down trodden.
So you just have to ask yourself which side you'd rather be on.
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

It's good to read that I am not the only one who doesn't care for ceili bands: I don't like playing in them, I really don't like listening to them. And I'm no purist either.

Oh god! I've been holding that in for so long!

Tommykleen
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Ro3b wrote:
talasiga wrote:For some inexplicable reason I associate
snare drums with INVASION
and
bodhran with the down trodden.
So you just have to ask yourself which side you'd rather be on.
the nub is that one must not play bodhran with an invasion sensibility ......

:P
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
cw67q

Post by cw67q »

You have to remember that ceili bands have a social function. It isn't like a night out with your mates at a session. Like all bands you have to learn tunes you may not particularly like, and play them in a pre-arranged order. Even worse, whilst a snare drum might sound like hell, and certainly doesat a session, druming is pretty much essential for a ceili band to fulfil its role.

If you play mostly for charity fundraisers or free for social events it can still be quite enjoyable and relaxed. If you want to play for weddings etc for cash, then you have to take it a bit more seriously (yawn). It is never as cramping as playing in a straight folk/trad band though (shudder : practice, arrangements etc. all that stuff that leeches the fun and spontaneity out of music)

IMHO the drummer is the most important member of a ceili band. The drummer sets the pace of the set, calls everyone to order, makes sure they all start together, sends out little hints when the tune is due to change or the set to end. Sometimes lets the dancers know when to move onto the next part of a tune (e.g. when to stop the waves in the waves of torey).

If something goes wrong through band organisation between the melody players e.g. a scratch, emergency band forgets the the tune order or someone changes too early, the drummer can keep things going for a bar or two before while the melody guys get their act together.

I can't listen to ceili bands for pleasure for any length of time because the drumming will drive me nuts. But in order to fullfill its social role a ceili band needs a strong drummer who knows what s/he is doing at its core.

The other main needs for a ceili band are: someone happy (and competent) to call the dances and ideally a strong box player to provide body. Some of these roles can be combined. Everyone else is an aslo-ran in the ceili band pecking order of importance. For those of you who play fiddle, pipes, flute, etc. Welcome to the world of the banjo player :-)

All of the above holds true except on those occasions when, as is the case with everything, when it doesn't.

- chris
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

These guys managed fine though. In fairness, in their regular line-up they had what was probably the most exuberant of ceili drummers.
cw67q

Post by cw67q »

This would be one of those occasions I mentioned.
You'd never have heard a mere snare & bass drum half set over all them fiddles anyway, Peter :-)

best wishes - chris
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

cw67q, your observations are spot on :thumbsup:

t
cw67q wrote:You have to remember that ceili bands have a social function. It isn't like a night out with your mates at a session. Like all bands you have to learn tunes you may not particularly like, and play them in a pre-arranged order. Even worse, whilst a snare drum might sound like hell, and certainly doesat a session, druming is pretty much essential for a ceili band to fulfil its role.

If you play mostly for charity fundraisers or free for social events it can still be quite enjoyable and relaxed. If you want to play for weddings etc for cash, then you have to take it a bit more seriously (yawn). It is never as cramping as playing in a straight folk/trad band though (shudder : practice, arrangements etc. all that stuff that leeches the fun and spontaneity out of music)

IMHO the drummer is the most important member of a ceili band. The drummer sets the pace of the set, calls everyone to order, makes sure they all start together, sends out little hints when the tune is due to change or the set to end. Sometimes lets the dancers know when to move onto the next part of a tune (e.g. when to stop the waves in the waves of torey).

If something goes wrong through band organisation between the melody players e.g. a scratch, emergency band forgets the the tune order or someone changes too early, the drummer can keep things going for a bar or two before while the melody guys get their act together.

I can't listen to ceili bands for pleasure for any length of time because the drumming will drive me nuts. But in order to fullfill its social role a ceili band needs a strong drummer who knows what s/he is doing at its core.

The other main needs for a ceili band are: someone happy (and competent) to call the dances and ideally a strong box player to provide body. Some of these roles can be combined. Everyone else is an aslo-ran in the ceili band pecking order of importance. For those of you who play fiddle, pipes, flute, etc. Welcome to the world of the banjo player :-)

All of the above holds true except on those occasions when, as is the case with everything, when it doesn't.

- chris
cw67q

Post by cw67q »

Why thank you Tommy. The cheque will be in the post shortly :wink:

- chris
joshD

Post by joshD »

Here are some sound clips of us getting ready for the Fleadh in Tullamore last year. We had a great time!!! I never was into Ceili music until we decided to do this. Bill McComiskey and Donna Long helped us out allot. :thumbsup: The line up looked like this:

Jim Eagan -- fiddle
Danny Noveck -- fiddle
Katie Linnane -- fiddle
Laura Byrne Egan -- flute
Brendan Bell -- flute
Sean McComiskey -- button accordion
Peter Brice -- button accordion
Bob Smith -- banjo
Matt Mulqueen -- piano
Josh Dukes -- percussion

March http://files.me.com/joshuadukes/v1saw9.mp3
Hornpipe http://files.me.com/joshuadukes/oew9om.mp3
Jigs http://files.me.com/joshuadukes/269dfj.mp3
Reels http://files.me.com/joshuadukes/7ro22z.mp3

Let me know what you think.
lesl
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

oo Josh the Leagrave! :thumbsup: loved it! 8) you know I'm very partial to that march that was grand.

I think I may be in the audience this time at the Midatlantic for the ceili bands. See ya then or at the sess the night before eh!
ancientfifer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ancientfifer »

joshD wrote:Here are some sound clips of us getting ready for the Fleadh in Tullamore last year.
March http://files.me.com/joshuadukes/v1saw9.mp3
Hornpipe http://files.me.com/joshuadukes/oew9om.mp3
Jigs http://files.me.com/joshuadukes/269dfj.mp3
Reels http://files.me.com/joshuadukes/7ro22z.mp3
Let me know what you think.
Thanks for posting that. Great sound, very tight band! And the wood block ROCKS OUT, the highlight of a ceili band IMHO :D
ancientfifer is the chiffer formerly known as fifenwhistle (Dec. 2008-January 2014)
Avatar Photo: Colonial Williamsburg Fifes and Drums, July 4th Parade 1976, broadcasted live nationally on CBS.
joshD

Post by joshD »

Will be looking for you Lesl :D

The woodblock is my favorite part of playing the drums. It just has a great ear catching sound that you cant deny. :o

Glad you liked it. :D