School recommendations please help!!

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
caddguy

School recommendations please help!!

Post by caddguy »

Hi,
Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum...Not sure where best to post this really.
My son is grduating from high school this year. He is a very accomplished Trad Irish musician (you may know of his postings here as "Miniwhistler" I believe). We are trying to figure out what is the best direction for his continued studies in music in college and carrer choices. He is fluid in Flute, whistle, guitar and trumpet. He is a very gifted "learn by ear" musician and can sight-read music now better than most college musicians I know. He is currently learn his way around mixing and recording on a 16 channel board with Fruitty loops and Pro-tools software. We don't know what is the best college or area of studies for him and we don't want him to be a starving musician either. Berkley and Julliard are probably out as the requirements for auditions are way off from Trad irish know-how!

Please help us if you can or put us in contact with someone that can give us some direction!

Best regards from Iowa,
Dave
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: School recommendations please help!!

Post by MTGuru »

caddguy wrote:Berkley and Julliard are probably out
You mean Berklee? I've heard of trad players coming out of Berklee, but they're definitely more jazz/rock/tech oriented.

Have you considered the University of Limerick? I know several people who have come through the program, with good things to say about it.

http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Mark ... nd%20Dance
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
awildman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by awildman »

Ditto MTGuru about U Limerick. I've heard good things also. As for other recommendations, I've heard of another school in Ireland (Dublin, perhaps, or maybe Belfast?) but can't recall the name. Limerick is fairly close to Clare, Galway, and Cork/Kerry, some other great musical areas.

FWIW, where better to study Irish music than Ireland?
flutey1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by flutey1 »

University College Cork or University of Limerick (both in Ireland, obviously) are the only real options if he wants a degree in trad music performance. If he'd be more flexible in degree choice, then there are other options where he'd still be able to do trad music while getting a standard music degree or a degree in something else altogether. Staying in the US, NYU and Boston College have the best Irish Studies programs that include music and both New York City and Boston have fabulous session scenes. A number of trad players have come out of Berklee, but my impression is that you also have to be able to play other genres to study there (but I'm not really sure).

I could answer questions about Boston College or University College Cork if you're looking for more info about either of those.

best wishes,
Sara
caddguy

Post by caddguy »

Thanks for all of your suggestions!
Sara,
We want him to study for undergrad here state side if possible then go on to get his masters or doctrine abroad if need be. His Passport is still valid as he has previously competed in the All-Ireland Fleadh before.
Boston sounds interesting as does NY.....Tell us more please!!

Dave
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

I can't really provide any first hand information but Milwaukee has a very active celtic scene and many well known performers frequent the area. A lot of young people in local bands come from the local universities. Two very active local organizations also support the ITM and popular celtic interests. Might be worth checking out and would be close to home. Dr. Funkenstein could fill you in.

Mike
flutey1

Post by flutey1 »

Boston College Irish Studies Program: http://www.bc.edu/centers/irish/studies/
Fiddler Seamus Connolly is currently in charge of the music performance aspect of the program and he's fantastic. There are performance classes in flute/whistle (taught by Jimmy Noonan) and fiddle (taught by Tina Lech and Seamus Connolly) and a few classes on the academic side of the music taught by ethnomusicologist Dr. Ann Spinney. There is a concert series every year called Gaelic Roots that brings in musicians from all over to play (concerts are free and have included the likes of Paddy Keenan, Kevin Crawford, Brendan Begley, etc...). Also, the Irish Music Archive on campus has a fantastic collection of material. Boston's a great city and there are lots of accessible sessions.

NYU Irish Studies Program (Glucksman Ireland House): http://irelandhouse.fas.nyu.edu/page/home
I don't know as much about this program because I never really considered it (I'm not really a fan of New York City). But... ethnomusicologist and banjo player Mick Moloney runs the music side of things there and he's fantastic. Overall I think it's supposed to be a good program.

Both of these programs offer an undergraduate minor in Irish Studies. It is an interdisciplinary course of study.

In case it's not obvious, I'm connected to BC, so not trying to propagandize (it does have it's downsides), but feel free to be in touch if you have more questions. Always happy to have musicians interested in the program :) I went through this whole process a few years ago and it can be stressful. PM or have your son get in touch if you'd like more specifics.

best wishes,
Sara
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

Having a moment here, and I can't remember her name....but one of our good young Cape Breton fiddle players is at Berklee right now, and I don't think she's the first. Maybe don't rule it out.
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia