Kitty Hayes [RIP]

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
lesl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hello, I'm Lesl, I teach and play Irish flute. Just updating my web address. Thank you for reading this!

Post by lesl »

My condolences Peter, and to her family. I was just watching the you tube videos last week thinking how wonderful that you had helped to bring her to the fore first with the album for us all to hear her and now videos as well. In a way that makes her live forever. You were a great team. May she rest in peace.
flutey1
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by flutey1 »

Very sorry to hear that. She was a wonderful musician and, it sounds like, a lovely person as well. My condolences.

Sara
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

Just saw that Peter, sorry to hear this.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

So sorry to hear that Peter. May her soul rejoice in its new flight, and may she long be remembered as her great tunes continue to delight people here in this life.

Thank you for introducing me to her music, and for being a good friend to her. I was thinking of you both just a few days ago as we passed through Miltown Malbay.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I'm sorry to hear it.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

I am grateful that you have brought her into our lives here so often through music and stories (especially for those of us unlikely to ever visit there). You have honored her so very well. Condolences to all.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Kitty was laid to rest with her husband Josie and son Joe outside Coore church yesterday. The church was packed with friends and neighbours, so packed I couldn't get back in after I stepped out for a few minutes to get a few things organised. Inside Dympna O Sullivan played lovely sweet music during the mass, Tim Dennehy sang and Noel Hill played Caoineadh na tri Mhuire, I played A Stor mo Chroi at the graveside, the air Junior Crehan played for Josie and Kitty herself played for Joe there and was joined by Josephine Marsh, Mick Kinsella and Brid O Donohue for Hughie Traver's jig and reel, which Kitty learned from Joe, I never saw her play them without a tear coming to her eye.

After a meal in the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point we had some more music: Jackie Daly, Claire Keville, Susie Cox, Lorraine O'Brien, Eoin O'Neil, Quentin Cooper, John Joe Tuttle, Kitty's son in law Chris, Christy McNamara and myself played for a few hours. We had t ogive out a bit to Jacqui McCarthy for not bringing the concertina, but that's the way.

I like to think Kitty would have approved of the send off.

Thanks to everybody for condolences, e-mails and messages of sympathy. We have our memories and a bit of Kitty's music to hold on to.
brotherwind

Post by brotherwind »

So sad to hear this. My sincerest condolences to you Peter and also to her family,

Moritz
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Another of the generation that knew what the music was really all about has moved on.

Give our condolences to the family for us. Her music touched more of us than she ever knew.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

very sad to read of her passing. thanks for sharing so much of your relationship with her and her music with us. you must be have been a good friend, as she was to you, lovely music bridging generations.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Peter my commiserations.

I think Kitty found a great allie in you and you in her, im sure she is playing lovely tunes now away from the restraints of thislife.

ill look out for ya on the street this year at the willie clancy week and give ya an auld handshake (even though you dont know me).
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
boomerang

Post by boomerang »

Hey Pete,
Your friend is not dead, she lives on in you and all those whose lives she touched,
through her music and your efforts she is immortal,
I am sad for your loss,
but in my opinion, she has left a lasting legacy, for which i am sure she would be proud, not only as a musician but as a giving and sharing person,

You certainly do her justice as a friend, and though she has passed on to the session in the sky, in the ears, hearts and minds of those around the world who have heard her passion in music, she live on,
If only we could all leave such a legacy for generations to follow, :sniffle:
Again my sincere condolences
David
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience!!
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Oh, Peter that was lovely. The two of you have brought me ever so much joy and inspiration over the last few years and have kept me company for many hours in the car, in the kitchen, and on the tractor.

Thank you for being such a true friend and champion for her, and for sharing both of your music with us so it can live on.

Blessings to you all and I'm sorry for your loss.

cat.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I just received the following (I asked) from the producer of the Lyric FM 'Gracenotes' program, about the Bantry Masters of Tradition concerts:
Eoin Brady, in an e-mail wrote:Just to let you know that the recording of Kitty Hayes from the Masters of Tradition Festival 2007 will be broadcast next Sunday at 6pm on Grace Notes on RTE lyric fm as part of our second programme of highlights from the festival.
the broadcast can be heard on Lyric FM or through the website at:

http://www.rte.ie/lyricfm/trad/

where the shows are also stored for a week
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

I tried to listen, but to do so had to install Real Player. However, the present version of RP is extraordinarily obnoxious--it's crammed with junkware, crapware & spyware, and kept insisting on doing tons of things I neither asked nor wanted it to do, and refused to do the one thing I wanted. To add insult to injury, my firewall shows that it's trying to phone home--again unasked--every minute or so.

And I am damned if I'm going to tolerate all that just. I have uninstalled it forthwith.

~~

So does anyone know of a non-abusive alternative for this, which will still play the above?
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis