Questions about Chieftains. Help please =)

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Drunken piper

Questions about Chieftains. Help please =)

Post by Drunken piper »

Hello to all. My name is Aleaxandr. I live in Moscow,Russia. I have some questions. I think a full answer i can get only here.
1) What situation with Chieftains now? They still play a full their group(Paddy,Matt)?

2) How i can reserve the ticket in advance(phones, e-mail)? What price of the ticket?

3) Maybe some one was on their concert and can say me: How much really to communicate to them personally after performance? To take the autograph or to be photographed together?

I play Uilleann pipes, and Chiftains for me one of the "Gods" of traditional irish music. I think that on all Russia maybe only 10-12 peoples play uilleann. How you can see situation is no good =( So if you can give some advises.

With best regards.Alexandr.

P.S. Excuse my horroble English language =))))
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

When I last saw the Chieftains (a year and a half ago) they had four members in the group and they also travelled with some other guest musicians and dancers. The group members were Paddy Moloney, Matt Molloy, Kevin Conneff and Sean Keane.
I don't remember them being available after the show to talk to in person but I also didn't hang out very long since the folks I was with were in a bit of a hurry to beat the traffic out of there.
As for the other question, you can check their online working calendar:
http://thechieftains.com/news/tour_2007.asp
Drunken piper

Post by Drunken piper »

Thanks for you answer!
Certainly i know their page =) . For me now important details: vere better to listen them, problem with ticket(other country)....
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

The Chieftains are well known here to join local musicians at a session after their concerts if time permits.

You should be aware that not everyone thinks the Chieftains music is very traditional. However, they are very popular and well known. The Chieftains are often people's first introduction to Irish Traditional Music. Hopefully you will learn to look beyond the Chieftains to learn more about uilleann piping traditions in Ireland. NPU would be a good place to start.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

For the price of the tickets, I think that generally depends on how much that particular concert hall they're playing wants to charge and the seats you get.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Welcome, Aleksandr. Only 10 to 12 uilleann pipers in all of Russia? Seriously, what's wrong with you people???

Just joking. :wink:

Anyway, good luck and good skill to you in your pipering.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I just bought tickets to the Chieftains show that'll be here in January and the prices ranged from $38 to $54 US dollars depending on the seats you want. I'd say that's pretty average for most established performers that come through here (for that venue anyways).
DIAGONALINE

Post by DIAGONALINE »

Hi Alexandr
When the Chieftains played here in Liverpool England, there was an open invitation to bring your instrument to the afternoon sound check.
The invite was posted on the theatre website so i don't know if the offer is always available.
Anyway at the concert they introduced a local Bohdran player and he went on stage and played a tune with them. He was either the only one who attended the sound check or the only one who was good enough.
He played with the Chieftains live for 2000 Liverpool Irish enthusiasts.
Some memory for him.
I could not get the time off to attend the sound check but I regret not going to this day.

Regards

Les Hanrahan
koktach

Post by koktach »

Nanohedron wrote:Welcome, Aleksandr. Only 10 to 12 uilleann pipers in all of Russia? Seriously, what's wrong with you people???

I know it was a joke, but nothing's wrong with them, they also have quite a fascinating trad music as well. So I think it's understandable that most of them play their own music.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

koktach wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Welcome, Aleksandr. Only 10 to 12 uilleann pipers in all of Russia? Seriously, what's wrong with you people???

I know it was a joke, but nothing's wrong with them, they also have quite a fascinating trad music as well. So I think it's understandable that most of them play their own music.
Yes, Russian music is beautiful indeed. Hence the joke. I could roll my eyes, here.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Volynka, anyone?

Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Does anyone know what happened to Martin Fay, the fiddler who played with the Chieftans for years? Did he pass on or did he simply retire?
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

If memory serves, he left the Chieftains around 2001 mainly because he was tired of the constant touring. I've not heard of any projects involving him since but I believe he still performs with the Chieftains when they're in Ireland.