Any serious bodhran players?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
straycat82
antispam: No

Any serious bodhran players?

Post by straycat82 »

I have been playing on a basic non-tuneable Waltons 18" bodhran for about two years now and have decided I am definitely going to stick with it and continue learning. The Waltons was a good inexpensive instrument to learn on but I live in Arizona where it is very hot and dry so I am constantly dampening the skin between every tune to keep it from being too taut and sounding tinny.
I would like to get a tuneable bodhran with a richer tone. I like the characteristics of thicker walls (at least 5"-6") and a slightly smaller diameter. I've heard (but haven't experience yet) that a thicker skin or a double head can enrich the sound as well.
I tried looking up makers online and came up with so many possibilities that I don't know where to begin. I'd rather hear testimonials from experienced players anyways. Does anyone have experience with any particular bodhran maker that they would be happy to recommend to me (one that would display the characteristics as mentioned above)? I'm expecting to pay anywhere from about $250 to $500; from what I've seen that should get me a quality instrument.

thanks,
Johnny
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi straycat82

Good luck with your quest. If you were this side of the pond I would point you to Belgarth in Orkney. http://www.belgarth.com/

Of the US makers the only one whose drum I have played is Albert Alfonso
http://www.celticmusic.com/alfonso_bodhrans/drums.html
The drum was responsive, had a nice top end and was well made.

In view of the atmospheric problems you are encountering, perhaps you should consider a drum with a Remo artificial head which would cut out the drying out problems.

Enjoy your playing.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Tristan

Post by Tristan »

What are the odds of my only two posts in about three weeks both being in reply to the same poster, and on two different boards, about two different instruments? Hmmm. But, I digress...

Check out Mike Quinlan from Chicago:

http://www.qdrums.com/

Many, if not most, of the serious players around here play his drums. Great tone, similar in appearance and quality to an O'Kane or Brendan White. They're right about in the middle of the price range you mentioned.

I've messed around a bit with a double skin, and I'm not sure it really makes that big of a difference, personally.

His newer ones (which don't seem to be pictured in his gallery yet) have a rather unique tuning system where the tuning ring is basically set directly into the laminates of the frame itself, so there is no visible tuning ring or hardware inside the drum. Very slick! Also, it uses a regular phillips head screwdriver rather than an allan wrench, which can be a bit more convenient if you happen to lose the one allan wrench you have that is the right size. (not that I know anything about that or anything. :))
thirdfipple

you will get...

Post by thirdfipple »

more input if you go to:

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/Bodhrandojo/

obviously it is a group dedicated to bodhran...it is pretty active

FWIW i am a newbie at bodhran and i purchased a Metloef a pretty good instrument
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Thanks to all who responded (and those who sent me those helpful PM's). I think I've decided to get a Brendan White bodhran. I've emailed him asking him a few questions and pending those I'll probably go with that decision (unless anyone has anything reasonably negative to say about them).
Last edited by straycat82 on Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Re: Any serious bodhran players?

Post by flanum »

straycat82 wrote:Any serious bodhran players?

no!

:lol:
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

What about a double head? Any experience, pros, cons? Does it make enough of a good difference to warrant spending the extra cash on the second skin? I've only heard on thing about them: it makes it easier to get subtle tones out of the drum with the slightest touch to the back skin. Thoughts or suggestions?
dirtyheel

Post by dirtyheel »

straycat82 wrote:What about a double head? Any experience, pros, cons? Does it make enough of a good difference to warrant spending the extra cash on the second skin? I've only heard on thing about them: it makes it easier to get subtle tones out of the drum with the slightest touch to the back skin. Thoughts or suggestions?
I have a double headed skin White. It took forever to break in, and the "subtle tones" isn't true in my experience. I have to struggle like hell to get the tones I want, but they tone is good when they're there.

If it's in your price range, you should check out Metloef drums. Rob Forkner makes the best bodhrans I've ever played (I suspect only Seamus O'Kane's drums are in the same league, but I'm never played one). I don't own one, but I've played one and they're great.

Albert's drums are great too, so are Brendan's. I own one of each. They'll all survive in Phoenix, just keep them in their case. I've been playing and teaching bodhran in the Phoenix heat for 6 years, and never had a problem with any drum because of the weather (except gigging outside, your drum loses moisture fast!).

Anyway, I sent you a PM too, feel free to contact me for any advice.
Cheers,
Kevin
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

EDIT: Brendan was on holiday all last week, he was a pleasure to do business with once I found him :)
Last edited by straycat82 on Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
strangre

Bodhran makers

Post by strangre »

Straycat,
Too bad you can't get through to Brendan White. The drums are excellent as Kevin attests to; I've played both of Kevin's drums and prefer his Albert Alfonso.

I recently had my new custom-made Christian Hedwitshak drum delivered from Germany that's awesome! He calls it a "Dragon Skin" head which is made in a similar fashion to some lambeg skins. It's tunable and has a unique mechanism that doesn't require a wrench. Christian has turned over his U.S. distribution now to the Whistle and Drum (www.whistleanddrum.com). My drum is 37cm with no crossbar. The Dragon Skin drums that Whistle and Drum has of Christian's are 40cm, but I'm sure they sound just as great. They're beautiful to look at too.
Good luck,
Rebecca
LeeMarsh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by LeeMarsh »

John,
I just spent a week at Swannanoa Gathering outside Asheville, NC. I took a class from Jesse Winch for Bodhran and he had a number of Alfonso drums. I also played a couple of Metleof drums. But the drum I fell in love with was a Brendan White that Julee Glaub had in her Irish Singing class. It had a deep rich sound that I prefer that also could easily produce the higher tones I need.

My finances are stretched because a bought a Copley D/C flute there from David Copley, but I plan to be contacting Brendan in a month or two to order one of his bodhrans. I am not sure single or double skin, 4.5 or 5 inch depth, and 18.5 or 20 inch diameter. But I like the deeper tones and find them more appealing to play in sessions, so I'll be emailing him soon to get more information on his drums.

Let me know which you get and how it works out. You can reach me on my e-mail address.

Enjoy your new drum as you
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I decided on a 14" diameter 5.5" rim double skinned from Brendan. I ordered it a few days ago and just heard back from him this morning. He's gonna be at a festival all next week so I don't know yet how long it will take to get it made and shipped but it seems like I've got at least a few weeks to wait. I did have the pleasure to play that exact drum already and the double skin was amazing. I found it much easier to get subtle differences in tones than I have on any bodhran I've ever played. I'm sure it will be a while to break in the two skins though. I'll let you know more when I receive the new instrument.

regards,
Johnny