Gregorian Chant and ITM

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
talasiga
antispam: No

Re: Gregorian Chant and ITM

Post by talasiga »

psmithltd @ p3 of short paper wrote:
Dr. Richard Henebry deals with the issue extensively: “Persons who are in the habit of referring Irish music to ‘composers’ insist very strongly on having what they call correct versions. They seem to think that there is an absolutely fixed setting which pre-eminently holds the palm beyond all others. … n playing dance music, [all] the good players introduc[e] changes every time the tune came round, and the musician who could not play in that style was not regarded as a master. And as to versions of tunes, whenever a musician heard a note or an accent change in a tune that he considered an improvement, he straightaway incorporated it into his own version.”

In Baroque music, composers expected the musician to bring an element of improvisation to the performance, in some cases significantly and in other cases at the level of ornamentation only.

Indic composition operates with similar expectations. Of course, unlike Baroque compositions, those of the Indic classical tradition are solfa notated for an oral tradition and are fairly skeletal simply recording an original theme within a modal scale marked by a certain distinctive phrase/s. Protocols within the tradition guide how the theme may be developed and presented in the various movements. (I compose in the latter vein).

PC Smith Esq., I am still going through your piece as light reading. Its fun.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
psmithltd
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by psmithltd »

Baroque music provides an interesting comparison with ITM is several ways as well, most notably in the absolute need for a proper playing style to interprete the written music at all, especially with the French music which seems to be interpreted quite differently than it is written.

On the other hand, the absolute dogmatism noticable in some baroque performers about the authors of the period texts (Quantz, etc.) on baroque style can be amusing. While the efforts of Messrs. Larsen, McCullough, and others of their ilk are certainly commendable, I would not hold their texts on Irish style as being authoritative in any way compared to the personal experience I have had with Strong Tradition Bearers that I have played and studied with. I wonder what would happen in five hundred years if somehow ITM had died out and the recordings that existed suddenly vanished, and all one had to go on trying to reconstruct the music was the 20th century books on ITM. It seems to me that you'd have quite a hard time going about it.
talasiga
antispam: No

Post by talasiga »

This topic isn't doing as well as I expected.
I guess we have a lot of ITM guitarists among us .....
:lol:
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit