Comparing Chieftans' Albums

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Big Time
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Big Time »

Everyone's referring to them as albums 1 - 11. Which number was The Celtic Harp album? It won a grammy. I'm on there as a 10 year old member of the Belfast Harp Orchestra. Good times.
Big Time
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

Huh. I'm always slagging the Chieftains, because I've only heard their
modern stuff (I almost screamed when they had Keith Richards
playing Stones licks during "Rocky Road to Dublin"). People looked at
me strangely, and asked "Are we talking about the same Chieftains?"
Maybe I should go find the older albums.

I will guiltily admit to enjoying "Down the Old Plank Road", though its
popularity caused them to record a second Nashville collaboration that
is awful...
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

I've alays liked Van Morrison, so I liked Irish Heartbeat just fine. On the other hand, Tears of Stone may be the only cd/album I ever returned to the store because I just couldn't stand it
Jay-eye
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Jay-eye »

dwinterfield wrote:I've alays liked Van Morrison, so I liked Irish Heartbeat just fine. On the other hand, Tears of Stone may be the only cd/album I ever returned to the store because I just couldn't stand it
Each to his own, eh? I thought Tears of Stone was so magic when I first got it - not ITM but a great listen. I guess they don't claim it's the 'real thing', that's entertainment, folks. Or Coca-Cola.

I'm into Martin Hayes right now, which is him and A. N Other. Too much guitar for the purists probably but to me: Tasty - check out 'Crooked Road/Foxhunters' from the album Under the Moon.

I'd say more but my breath has been taken!
Tóg go bog é, dude.....

j.i.
JPcares

Rodger Daltry singing Behind Blue Eyes

Post by JPcares »

with the Chieftons is one of the funniest things I've ever heard when they go into the middle electric section as a jig :lol:
Dee Whistler

Post by Dee Whistler »

I think also the older ones are the worth listening stuff and actually relly great records. By the way, does anyone know what happened to Sean Potts and Michael Tubridy? I really liked the Chieftains when they got these guys and before Molloy/Coneff joined in. Sean Potts is IMHO one of the greatest whistlers and made me start to play whistle in the first place.

So do you know have these guys (Potts, Tubridy) done any music after 70's?
It's not that hard to play it right. It's hard to play it wrong in the right place.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I've heard Potts and Turbridy just went on do do other stuff in life. I think one of them went into engineering or something. Not sure. Something of the sort.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

The only Chieftain album I have, and I got it almost 10years ago (so, one of my first trad-albums) is Chieftain9-boil the breakfast early. I don't listen to it too often anymore, but I still find it very good.
amar

Post by amar »

Big Time wrote:Everyone's referring to them as albums 1 - 11. Which number was The Celtic Harp album? It won a grammy. I'm on there as a 10 year old member of the Belfast Harp Orchestra. Good times.
http://members.shaw.ca/chieftains/disc.html

Hmmm....there seem to be a lot of slow airs on Chieftain2. Is it a good buy? I love slow airs.
amar

Post by amar »

Big Time wrote:Everyone's referring to them as albums 1 - 11. Which number was The Celtic Harp album? It won a grammy. I'm on there as a 10 year old member of the Belfast Harp Orchestra. Good times.
wow, you must have started playing when you were 2!!
:D
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

started playing music when i was 3, started the harp when i was 7. the link to the celtic harp cd has a link in it of the Chieftains playing with the Belfast Harp Orchestra - i think that's carnegie concert. i'm the tiny little dude hunched over the harp in the front right!!!!

i was just very lucky to be in the group and the chieftains wanted us to do a few concerts with them.

ps. i'd no idea there where so many chieftains albums. sorry for my ignorance.
Big Time
amar

Post by amar »

Big Time wrote:started playing music when i was 3, started the harp when i was 7. the link to the celtic harp cd has a link in it of the Chieftains playing with the Belfast Harp Orchestra - i think that's carnegie concert. i'm the tiny little dude hunched over the harp in the front right!!!!

i was just very lucky to be in the group and the chieftains wanted us to do a few concerts with them.

ps. i'd no idea there where so many chieftains albums. sorry for my ignorance.

:)
Big Time

Post by Big Time »

ah amar, there was no need for that!!! i think i probably should've had a smaller harp and stool or something, the harp's bloody bigger than me!!
Big Time