ABC playing programs...?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Jack Macleod
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

ABC playing programs...?

Post by Jack Macleod »

Anything new come out that's good for coding and printing? I can't get ABC2WIN to print.

Anything old that I just don't know of?

Recommendations are appreciated...
mvhplank
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

Did you try paying for it? I think that one has the printing feature locked on the evaluation version.

Go ahead and pony up the $20 or whatever it is. I've used it for years and more than gotten my money's worth out of it.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
djm

Post by djm »

I could never get abc2win to work well for me. I have used abcmus for years, but it doesn't do notes transcription. I am trying out abcnavigator2, but this is a beta release and has no help menues, so some things don't seem to work, but it may be that I just don't know how to use it correctly. abcnavigator2 is currently free and has a good user interface. When all else fails, I use Tune-o-Tron on the Concertina.net website to turn abc transcripts into dots or to get a quick midi file just to listen.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Jack Macleod

Post by Jack Macleod »

mvhplank wrote:Did you try paying for it? I think that one has the printing feature locked on the evaluation version.

Go ahead and pony up the $20 or whatever it is. I've used it for years and more than gotten my money's worth out of it.

M
I paid for it. Even asked the guy from whom I downloaded it to help. Didn't work...just thought I would try something different.
emer

Post by emer »

I have ABC2WIN and am too mean and miserable a git to pay for it - to print tunes, having 'drawn' them, got to
copy / paste
copy bitmap to clipboard
then paste into Word doc or similar and print. Works for me.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I regularly use ABC Navigator, which prints like a dream. Prints on the Laser at work, too, so the ink doesn't smudge when it gets rained on or beer spilt on it. There is a help page for ABC, written by a public-spirited individual whose name I can't remember. You can find it on thesession.org 's LINKS pages. I pasted a copy into notepad, to have it handy, as sites do get moved or go under.
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Post by MarcusR »

The ABC Plus project!

/MarcusR

BTW, dont miss Guido's whistle making page :D
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
djm

Post by djm »

ABCPlus looks promising, but not ready for primetime yet. Still very much in the hacking ... er ... "beta" stages. :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
magroibin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by magroibin »

I use a combination of 2 programs:

1) ABCPlay

http://www.geocities.com/Nashville/8773/abcplay.htm

2) MidiNotate

http://www.notation.com/

I use ABCplay to convert abc to Midi files. Works great for listening to tunes from ABC format. Lets you adjust the tempo, instrument sound, etc...and its free!

If I need to see the dots I use MidiNotate to open the midi files which lets you both see, hear and print out the tune. It's a program written by a musician for the direct purpose of learning tunes. It has a free basic version but the "practise mode" feature is well worth the money. Having a lot of adjustable features makes it a a wonderful program for learning!!!