Reels? Or so I hope....

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Key_of_D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reels? Or so I hope....

Post by Key_of_D »

Is Drowsy Maggie a reel? If so, what kind? Single? or Double. I have no clue. All I know is, I've been playing the whistle now for about 21 months, and I just learned drowsy maggie last night in about 30 minutes. So, if it is one, then I can finally play a reel! I know, not that exciting for those who already can, but for me it is. I'm guessing if DM is a reel, then it's probably one of the more easier reels to play.

Eric
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

DROWSY/DROUSY/DROWSIE MAGGIE [1] (Mairgreadin Taimeac/Suantac). AKA and see "Sleepy Maggy/Maggie," "Sleeping Moggie," "Sleepy Moggie," "Pegg in the Settle." Irish, Reel. Ireland; Counties Donegal, Sligo. E Dorian or E Minor ('A' part) & D Major ('B' part). Standard. AB (Cranitch, Feldman & O’Doherty/Byrne, Flaherty, Martin & Hughes, Mulvihill, O’Malley, O'Neill/1850 & 1001, Spandaro, Tubridy): AAB (Kennedy, Roche & Raven): AA’B (Vallely): ABB' (Feldman & O’Doherty/Doherty, O'Neill/Krassen): AABB (Brody, Phillips): AABB' (Sweet): AA'BB' (Reiner): AA’BC (Songer): ABCE (Breathnach). A very common reel, the basic form of which is known to most Irish traditional musicians.

http://www.ibiblio.org/fiddlers/DRO_DRUM.htm

It sounds like a reel with a lot of variations. This is from the Fiddler's Companion. I don't understand some of what I'm reading above there. Someone else who knows more will be along I'm sure. But I'm glad you learned it. :)
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

The A's and B's in the Fiddler's Companion mean the number of times the 1st and 2nd parts are played. I checked the version at The Session and it has a four bar first part which is repeated and an 8 bar second part which is not repeated. Both parts end up with 8 bars. I think that makes it a single reel. There's a thread on single reels slightly down the page. You could read the discussion there.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

E Dorian or E Minor ('A' part) & D Major ('B' part). Standard. AB (Cranitch, Feldman & O’Doherty/Byrne, Flaherty, Martin & Hughes, Mulvihill, O’Malley, O'Neill/1850 & 1001, Spandaro, Tubridy):

So, Steve, the above part I copied. It looks like it is saying the A part and B part are in different keys. Is that right? Then what does the word "Standard" refer to? And the "AB" with all those names, I am thinking those are the recordings which are played AB (which seems like it would be no repeat either part) and since the majority of the names are there, it is telling us that this is the most common way to play it?

Since I don't know the tune, I don't think explaining would help. Don't try. :lol:
SteveK

Post by SteveK »

I'm not sure what standard means. Yes, the A part and B part are in different keys but the 2nd part doesn't really resolve. It has a phrase on a D chord which leads back to E dorian. To end the tune after the 2nd part, most people end it on E. At least most people I've hear play it. The AAB and AABB stuff is a little confusing because it's not clear whether the two parts turn out to be of equal length or not. It's just terminology anyway. The way to play it is the way your local session plays it. If you don't go to a session play a standard version or your own version.
djm

Post by djm »

its not easy being an idiot (me, that is)

djm
Last edited by djm on Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

djm wrote:There's also a version of Drowsie Maggie that is played as a polka.
That's "Maggie in the Woods" you're thinking of -- it's an entirely different tune, no relationship to "Drowsy Maggie" other than the common name.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

Post by Jonathan »

It's a single reel
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Cynth wrote:Then what does the word "Standard" refer to?
Just looked up this in the Forward -- "Standard" there refers how the strings on the fiddle are tuned, GDAE. As opposed to one of the non-standard fiddle tunings, like AEAE.

The names following the structure indicators (AB, AA'B, whatever) are the sources that use that structure -- either recording or printed.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I've just learned Drowsy Maggie (a Basic Version) and it didn't take too long to learn. I got the dots off http://www.thesession.org which has seven variants of the same tune. Some are clearly for fiddle. (Or at least, as far as I'm concerned - it looks that way from the ornamentation. Whistle ornamentation looks a wee bit different.)
Now my colleagues on the site are harrassing me to learn the Scottish tune "Sleepy Maggie" which apparently is something else again - but not too different. But I haven't even heard that one (to my knowledge) let alone seen the dots for it.

Yes! You have a single reel! Congratulations!

Now get cracking on "Toss the Feathers"!

Actually, "The Morning Star" is a nice easy reel too...

Post by Guest »

Innocent Bystander wrote:I've just learned Drowsy Maggie (a Basic Version) and it didn't take too long to learn. I got the dots off http://www.thesession.org which has seven variants of the same tune. Some are clearly for fiddle. (Or at least, as far as I'm concerned - it looks that way from the ornamentation. Whistle ornamentation looks a wee bit different.)
Now my colleagues on the site are harrassing me to learn the Scottish tune "Sleepy Maggie" which apparently is something else again - but not too different. But I haven't even heard that one (to my knowledge) let alone seen the dots for it.

Yes! You have a single reel! Congratulations!

Now get cracking on "Toss the Feathers"!

Actually, "The Morning Star" is a nice easy reel too...
But rarely if ever played right, and like the Little Stack Of Barley, too many versions and most of them wrong!
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Well Thanks. I figured if I practiced enough, I'd get profficient enough to where I can start playing faster.. Now I know I need more practice on the whistle, but now also what I need to work on is putting ornamentation into my reels, or reel.... Haha.

I also need to learn more ornamentation. My ornamentation consists of, cuts, taps, vibrato (sometimes) tonging, sliding into a note, and tapping a note real fast, I don't know the name for that. I'm self taught, and with not a lot of learning recources, so I do what I can.

I was thinking about getting a whistle tutor that could teach me more ornamentation, containing also anything else to better my playing, but there's so many of them. I've heard the Tin Whistle Tool Box is good, and also I believe it's called The Complete Guide to the Tin Whistle by L.E. McCullough. I don't know which tutor to buy.

Anyways, I actually started on toss the feathers a little while back, but never stuck to learning it. I didn't know that was a reel either. These "simple" reels almost sound like jigs. But then again, I'm no expert on classifying tunes.

Thanks again!
Eric
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

colomon wrote:Just looked up this in the Forward
When will I ever learn?

Key_of_D, I found the Tin Whistle Tool Box to be very helpful for ornamentation. If you are not around someone who plays the whistle, you can see pictures and very clear explanations of what is physically done to get a certain type of sound. But I think you'd better take a look at it before buying it, in case you already know how to do most of the things covered. The larger book, about whistle and flute written by Grey Larsen, has more advanced ornamentation in it I believe. I think that you would want to get something that has a basic discussion of the different tune forms and their rhythms---that will actually help your playing, I think, because you will become more aware of what is really going on in the tune.

http://www.irishtune.info/rhythm/This webpage might help you with definitions and rhythms.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

Key_of_D wrote:Well Thanks. I figured if I practiced enough, I'd get profficient enough to where I can start playing faster.. Now I know I need more practice on the whistle, but now also what I need to work on is putting ornamentation into my reels, or reel.... Haha.

Don't worry about playing faster. While it can be fun from time to time, it isn't what the music's all about. Work on your rhythm and phrasing first.
I also need to learn more ornamentation. My ornamentation consists of, cuts, taps, vibrato (sometimes) tonging, sliding into a note, and tapping a note real fast, I don't know the name for that. I'm self taught, and with not a lot of learning recources, so I do what I can.

Have a look at Brother Steve's page: http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/brosteve/ It's a great resource for learning. Also take a look at the "Further Study" link on the main page. One of the best learning resources is listening. If there isn't a session in your area, you always have CD's.

If you have specific questions about how to play whistle, the Whistle Forum may be a better place to post your question. It will get more views there and more answers.
BigDavy

Sleepy Maggie

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Innocent Bystander

Sleepy Maggie is also known as Jenny's Chickens in ITM. Try looking for that.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps