ITM question. Same instrument?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

ITM question. Same instrument?

Post by I.D.10-t »

First of all I do not play ITM. I have found that a lot of the music I play over laps though.

Went to a session last night and saw there were about five people and probably as many violins. Some had other instruments, a bodhran , a concertina, and a mandolin were there, and maybe some other instruments. One thing that I noticed was even though the violinists were playing well, they were playing the exact same notes. So I was wondering if people practice harmonies for common songs (more like a string quartet), or if that is not part of the style of ITM.

I would like to add that I have seen three whistlers show up to a session and not play a note because, they said, “no one wants to listen to just whistles.”

(I really should know the answer to this by now, but honestly this is the first time I thought about it)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: ITM question. Same instrument?

Post by Teri-K »

I.D.10-t wrote: So I was wondering if people practice harmonies for common songs (more like a string quartet), or if that is not part of the style of ITM.
The music is played in unison, not with harmony as you describe. When people ask about the characteristics of ITM, I usually point them here:
http://www.itma.ie/home/leaf1a.htm It's a good description and fairly comprehensive. Plus it saves a lot of typing.
djm

Post by djm »

It is the ITM style to play melody only, and all instruments play the melody line. This is because there was often only one instrument available, so it ended up playing solo. The idea of harmony is relatively new to ITM (200 years ago). Some fiddlers will add a drone note to copy bagpipes. Uilleann pipes are only a bit more than 200 years old. There were other pipes before then, so drones are not new, but uilleann pipes added regulators to play in simple harmony in union with the chanter. Still, not all instruments were of the same pitch standard, and musicians continued to largely play solo. It wasn't until the early 20th century that céilí bands began to form. Still, most of the groups played the melody line together, with only simple one or two note harmonies occasionally. It wasn't until fusion of ITM with the modern folk-rolk bands of the 1970s and later that guitars, bouzoukis, etc. were added and more complex harmonies. Today you can choose to play modern, but won't get along with traditionalists, and vice versa.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Teri-K, that is a good website. I went to bookmark it and it was already bookmarked :lol: my "system" is hopeless. So thanks for the reminder.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Glad I wasn’t just imagining things.
Thanks all for the information and link.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

djm wrote:It is the ITM style to play melody only, and all instruments play the melody line. This is because there was often only one instrument available, so it ended up playing solo. The idea of harmony is relatively new to ITM (200 years ago). Some fiddlers will add a drone note to copy bagpipes. Uilleann pipes are only a bit more than 200 years old. There were other pipes before then, so drones are not new, but uilleann pipes added regulators to play in simple harmony in union with the chanter. Still, not all instruments were of the same pitch standard, and musicians continued to largely play solo. It wasn't until the early 20th century that céilí bands began to form. Still, most of the groups played the melody line together, with only simple one or two note harmonies occasionally. It wasn't until fusion of ITM with the modern folk-rolk bands of the 1970s and later that guitars, bouzoukis, etc. were added and more complex harmonies. Today you can choose to play modern, but won't get along with traditionalists, and vice versa.

djm
Very nicely put.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

You can play harmonies if you want. You may not be the best judge of what is good taste though. As someone pointed out you can hear harmonising on lots of modern band recordings (Planxty for example) and it sounds great to my ear. So does playing without harmonising. Some harmonising can be used to add spice, like variation and varied ornamentation. You wouldn't want it all the way through a set. I think it's all valid. Don't let the ITM police put you off! :wink:

Steve
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

Just doing a quick mental check of the local sessions:

---melody line (in octaves, of course)

---chord accompaniment

---drone if pipes present

The only "harmony" I can remember is the guy with a couple too many obliviously playing the wrong tune....happens all too often...

Tried 2-part at our slow session, but it just didn't sound "right"....
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:the guy with a couple too many obliviously playing the wrong tune.
Wow! I don't even remember being there.
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

Jack Bradshaw wrote:The only "harmony" I can remember is the guy with a couple too many obliviously playing the wrong tune....happens all too often...
Counterpoint! :lol:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Jack Bradshaw

Post by Jack Bradshaw »

jbarter wrote:Jack Bradshaw wrote:
the guy with a couple too many obliviously playing the wrong tune.

Wow! I don't even remember being there.
:party: Well, at least we know you had a good time ! :party:

:lol:
603/329-7322
"I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ... "