Tune ID?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Tune ID?

Post by colomon »

Trying to ID a hornpipe from an old manuscript (circa 1870) from the Michigan/Ontario border. I'm not really sure what its provenance is. Does anyone recognize the tune?

X:1
M:4/4
L:1/8
R:Hornpipe
K:A
(3efg|aaec Acfe|dcBA GBEG|ABcd ecAc|Be^df eefg|
aaec ABfe|dcBA GBEG|Aaec gfdB|Aaec A2:|
|:dc|BcBG EGBG|Acec aecA|dcde fedc|Bced eefg|
aaec ffdB|eecA ddBG|Aaec fdBG|Aaec A2:|

Thanks!
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Tune ID?

Post by Teri-K »

colomon wrote:Trying to ID a hornpipe from an old manuscript (circa 1870) from the Michigan/Ontario border. I'm not really sure what its provenance is. Does anyone recognize the tune?

R:Hornpipe
K:A
(3efg|aaec Acfe|dcBA GBEG|ABcd ecAc|Be^df eefg|
aaec ABfe|dcBA GBEG|Aaec gfdB|Aaec A2:|
|:dc|BcBG EGBG|Acec aecA|dcde fedc|Bced eefg|
aaec ffdB|eecA ddBG|Aaec fdBG|Aaec A2:|

Thanks!
It looks quite similar to "Whitehaven Hornpipe". It's at the Wooden Flute Database http://tunedb.woodenflute.com/tune_sear ... logic.html
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Teri-K wrote:It looks quite similar to "Whitehaven Hornpipe".
Don't think that's it -- the contours are very similiar on the first part, but the notes aren't (except for the first phrase), and then the second part is completely different.

Thanks for trying, though! Did you learn the Whitehaven from the Wooden Flute database, or somewhere else?
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

colomon wrote:
Teri-K wrote:It looks quite similar to "Whitehaven Hornpipe".
Don't think that's it -- the contours are very similiar on the first part, but the notes aren't (except for the first phrase), and then the second part is completely different.

Thanks for trying, though! Did you learn the Whitehaven from the Wooden Flute database, or somewhere else?
I don't play the Whitehaven. The only other tune I can come up with is the Bristol Hornpipe (on Fiddler's Companion), but again the second part varies and has the feel of being written for Highland pipes.

Nigel Gatherer joined the board, maybe he has an idea.
colomon

Post by colomon »

Teri-K wrote:The only other tune I can come up with is the Bristol Hornpipe (on Fiddler's Companion), but again the second part varies and has the feel of being written for Highland pipes.
Actually, comparing the two, I'd say Whitehaven and Bristol are the same hornpipe. The A parts are identical (though the FC has written it as dotted eighth - sixteenth rather than straight eighths) and the B parts are close enough. Interesting! :)
nigelgatherer

Post by nigelgatherer »

You are kind to welcome me in this way, but perhaps you have too much faith in me. However, I happened to be looking at 'Allan's Irish Fiddler' and found this;

T:Sand's Hornpipe
S:Allan's Irish Fiddler
K:G
(3def | g>gd>B G>ce>d | c>BA>G F>AD>F |
G>AB>c d>^cd>B | A>d^c>e d>ef>g ~
g>gd>B G>ce>d | c>BA>G F>AD>F |
G>Bd>g e>cA>F | G>AG>F G2 :|
c>B | A>BA>G F>DE>F | G>AB>c d>^cdB |
A>B^c>d e>dc>B | A>d^c>e d2 e>f |
(3gag d>B (3efe c>e | (3ded B>d c>AF>A |
G>Bd>g e>cA>F | G>AG>F G2 :|]
Nigel Gatherer
Crieff, Scotland
colomon

Post by colomon »

That is indeed it! "Dick Sand's Hornpipe". Turns out it's in O'Neill's as well!

Thank you so much! Guess this firmly establishes that people were playing at least a couple of Irish tunes in my hometown in Michigan 125 years ago. :) (Right around the time Dick Sands' Irish Jig, Clog, and Dance Book was published, perhaps a copy made its way to St. Clair County....)
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

nigelgatherer wrote:
You are kind to welcome me in this way, but perhaps you have too much faith in me.
No, it was placed correctly :wink: