Jig time.

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
dubhlinn
antispam: No

Post by dubhlinn »

At the end of the day,or the start..

It's something that you FEEL

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Reel Rhythms

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Cathy

Hope that you can add to the metronome programming (not reprogramming it). I made the suggestion that you use 3 and 7 as this is the most common ground rhythm for reels in the the subsections of ITM that I am most familiar with - the Ulster styles.

TonyHiggens is right in saying that you should be able to mix the two at will, but this will usually be in a set of reels, individual tunes will normally be one or the other. For example St Annes reel would suit 1 and 5 whereas Toss the Feathers suits 3 and 7.

Please note that this is a gross generalisation of the the actual rhythm of both these tunes. Dubhlinn is quite correct in that the tune should tell you its rhythm naturally.

If you have access to a reasonably accomplished percussionist try working on a few sets of tunes with him/her, this will help you with your metronome.

Enjoy your playing.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Guitar Kat =^..^=
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Guitar Kat =^..^= »

dubhlinn wrote:At the end of the day,or the start..

Slan,
:lol: :)

I don't know. I just play what I feel would be right... sometimes I imagine a beat in my head, etc. I don't really know. Of course, like most musicians, I started on a non-traditional instrument like a normal flute with common time, etc... so it's a little challenging to me to get the "feel" ;)
~~~~
Kat =^..^=
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Guitar Kat =^..^= wrote:
dubhlinn wrote:At the end of the day,or the start..

Slan,
:lol: :)

I don't know. I just play what I feel would be right... sometimes I imagine a beat in my head, etc. I don't really know. Of course, like most musicians, I started on a non-traditional instrument like a normal flute with common time, etc... so it's a little challenging to me to get the "feel" ;)
Yeah, unfortunately when I try to play what I seem to "feel" it all too often translates into something that SOUNDS .... mildly schizophrenic? Manic depressive? :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll keep chugging. :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.