a little OT ....Irish music and love

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
fun and flutie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

a little OT ....Irish music and love

Post by fun and flutie »

I was just curious, how many of you have met your boyfriend/girlfriend, husband/wife by your love of ITM?
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I got interested in the music from going to the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games, but couldn't find much Scottish music, but I found some Tanahill Weavers and Chieftains albums with a few others.

When camping there, I heard SSP and Nortumbrian pipes and thought I would like to play something like that because you could play inside, and was advised to start with whistle, but the tutors featured Irish music.

Even though I mostly played Irish music, one of the reasons my ex-wife gave for leaving me was that my playing made her homesick (she was from Kilmarnock Scotland).

Now, she has moved to Darwin, England (where her oldest sister lives) and homesick for the USA. :roll:
colomon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I met my wife standing in line for a Dervish concert....
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

I have no love life, I play Irish music! :lol:

But seriously, I met my girlfriend at a pub where local trad and neotrad bands perform just about every monday.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Perhaps you are just squeezing the wrong old bag???
Pat Cannady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Pat Cannady »

Don't insult my pipes like that!!! :wink:
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I have met my great ex girlfriend at Willie week, in Ireland. I would sit and watch her play fiddle, impressed and mouth wide open, a little bit like this dude: :o
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My wife stalked me for three weeks after she saw me play at an informal session after hours at the Minnesota Rennaissance Festival back in 1985/86. When we finally met (instead of swapping long and leering glances from a distance), I knew that she was going to be the one who I would spend the rest of my life with... well,actually, she really didn't give me any choice in the matter whatsoever. :lol:
djm

Post by djm »

She had lovers by the score, every Tom and Dick and Harry.
She was courted night and day, but still she wouldn't marry.
And then she fell in love with the fella with the stammer.
When he tried to run away, she hit him with a hammer.

Something like that, Joseph? :D

djm
Joseph E. Smith

Very much like that :lol: In fact, believe it or not, 'In the Town of Bally Bay' was one of the songs I sang that night...I guess she took the lyrics a little too seriously!!! :lol:
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

You know, in Newfoundland they've turned a fragment of that song into a very popular "single" (basically a fast polka) -- "She Said She Wouldn't Dance". It's pretty common to hear it played a few times through as a tune, and then the four lines of song are sung. Great stuff.
Crysania

Post by Crysania »

Quite the opposite actually...I got INTO the music because of my (now ex-) boyfriend. He's gone, but the music's still there. ;) I miss playing with him though!

~Crysania
<i>~`~"I have nothing to say and I'm saying it." <blockquote>-- John Cage~`~</blockquote></i>
djm

Post by djm »

I miss playing with him though!
No doubt, but is this what you want to share on C&F? :lol:

djm
Joseph E. Smith

...settle down, settle down. :D Perhaps more information than I require at this time.... :lol:
LadyDi

Post by LadyDi »

Sol,

It's Diana here. You met her standing in line for a Dervish concert?? Wow, I didn't know that!

And now for a more general reply: I personally have not met a significant other through ITM, but the phenomenon of session players dating each other, at least briefly, seems to be recurringly thematic.

I think it could be related to either the strong common interest and bond, OR just due to how much time people spend together (like here in DC, you could play four or five sessions a week, that's a lot of time to be staring at the player across from you and wondering, "What would it be like to date him/her?") I think the brevity of relationships that I've seen in sessions have been due to the latter. Kind of like, you just end up dating a person because you're hanging out together so much already. Proximity breeds attraction.

So anyway, my thoughts.
Diana
Es ist, daß eine Freude versteckt zu werden aber eine Katastrophe, nicht gefunden zu werden. - Donald Winnicott