How I learn tunes by ear...

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

I'm with Caj.....

try it with a 1960's record player

gives ya reason to figure it out :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I'm of the recent opinion that you can't best learn a tune if you're playing along, not really. It's not undivided attention. You may have sounds going into your head but I think few if any can be really listening, therefore retaining, while dividing their attention with fidgeting around on an instrument. You can learn while playing along, but it seems to me it's usually not retained quite as well and needs to be revisited more to sink in.

If you ear-learn a tune independent of playing along, it doesn't matter what key it's in. You have the tune, right there inside of you, and no one can take it away. All you need to do is take the tune and play it according to your instrument's compass.

Just my devalued $0.02 USD.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Denny

Post by Denny »

:D yeah, that works well, after you learn how to play by ear.
buddhu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by buddhu »

All learning tools are good. Different people are wired to learn in different ways.

There is no substitute for learning tunes by listening to them being played well. Michael's recommended software is an aid, not a substitute.

In the old days people learned perfectly well without the technical aids. That's because they didn't have them. If they had, and they wanted to learn they would have used them.

I see little difference between asking a teacher to play something again, and again, and again... and to play it more slowly, and slowing down a recording. Well actually, I do see a difference. The gadget isn't going to get bored, and you're not going to feel guilty that you might be trying its patience.

Yup, the good old days produced great players and great tunes. But a lot of those guys would have used DVDs, PCs whatever if they had been available.

My 0.02. YMMV etc etc etc.

I used to use ASD - the paid version. It was great, but it didn't work on Vista on my new craptop. These days I use BestPractice, which is freeware. It's very much like ASD. Google will show you the BestPractice download site if you ask it.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
Caj

Post by Caj »

buddhu wrote:Well actually, I do see a difference. The gadget isn't going to get bored, and you're not going to feel guilty that you might be trying its patience.
Exactly. This severely reduces the difficulty of the exercise: instead of having to learn a tune on the spot with few attempts---a challenge that builds ear skills---you can now use technology to slow that lesson down, pause and repeat it indefinitely, get back to it in your own time, basically removing all the time constraints that made it difficult.

I'm not saying technology is inherently bad. I'm just saying that it's counterproductive to remove the exertion from an exercise.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Caj wrote:I'm just saying that it's counterproductive to remove the exertion from an exercise.
I disagree. As with building any skill, it's sensible to progress from easy to hard. When learning to play a fast tune, no one would suggest practicing only at breakneck speed to avoid "removing the exertion". You start slower, then increase speed as your mastery and understanding increases.

Listening is no different. When learning directly from another player, you ask them to play more slowly so you can catch the tune. That's perfectly normal. You pause and ask for repeats as needed. Even the best musicians do this. Simulating this time-honored traditional process with software and recordings is less organic but roughly parallel, and changes little. For people without regular access to a live teacher or player, technical aids to assist learning by ear can be a real boon. You push your personal envelope by increasing listening speed as your skill increases.

Sure, once you've already developed good ear skills, learning tunes at up to full speed becomes easier, even second nature. It's an important sub-skill. Meanwhile, learning is not an endurance contest with something to prove. The result - well-played music - is the main goal.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

You know how I learn tunes by ear... Get ready for it, it's a doozey...

the best I can
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.