Peter Hunter

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Peter Hunter

Post by PJ »

I hear that pipe-maker Peter Hunter passed away earlier this week. Can anyone confirm this?
PJ
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Peter Hunter

Post by Lorenzo »

Brian Howard posted this on another forum:
  • I have just heard of the death of Peter Hunter, who passed away on Tuesday 20 January. Peter was a well known uilleann pipemaker from North Yorkshire. A friend, Chris Wilkes, informed me today saying "He passed on Tuesday. There were four of us up on Monday at the hospice so he knew he was cared for by folks." I knew Peter since 1976 when he had one of my sets. It is always sad to lose one of the piping community. He will be missed.

I have just received this from Chris. The funeral for Peter will be on Wednesday 4th February at 1.20 p.m. at the Nab Wood Crematorium, Keighley Road, Nab Wood, SHIPLEY. The Funeral Directors are H.H.Birch. There will be a dedication introduced by Valerie Jenkins.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

I am sorry to hear this, he was one fine Pipemaker.

Geoff.
Seanie

Post by Seanie »

Hi there

Sorry to hear about Peter. I visited him in his workshop near Bradford sometime in the late eighties.

He was quiet a character.

John
Patrick D'Arcy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Patrick D'Arcy »

Very sad news. His pipes are stellar. May he rest in peace.

Patrick
john

Post by john »

i was fortunate to get a concert chanter from peter in the 90s but still kick myself for not getting a full set - i emailed him in recent months and had no idea he was sick - i never met him, just speaking on the phone a few times and i still don't know what he looked like - he was very proud of his association with ronan browne (i think that ronan's concert pitch performances are on peter's sets) - and don't forget he was crazy enough to try to make a chanter pitched in g but still managed to make one that worked - it would be interesting to know how many instruments he made - it's good that he passed on his skills to sam and others
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Post by Hans-Joerg »

Very sad news indeed. Good journey, Peter!
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

A nice tribute from Sam L:

http://hunterpipes.co.uk/
PJ
mukade

Post by mukade »

Very sad news.

My first chanter was from Peter - back in 1991.
My neighbour was Bill Bohill, a Northumbrian pipe maker, and he knew Peter.
He contacted him and I got a lignum D stick for me.

I sold it to Makoto Nakatsui a few years back. He said he had taken measurements from it for his chanters. Although he has probably changed his bore a lot since then, Peter's influence still lives on in many ways.

RIP Peter. You were a legend among pipe makers.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon