Nakatsui Pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
David Parkhurst
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Nakatsui Pipes

Post by David Parkhurst »

I'm starting to plan another foray into uilleann piping, and noticed some rather nice Youtube videos featuring a set of pipes by Makoto Nakatsui.... anybody have experience with these? The sound seems pretty solid.

Also, anybody have any experience with Bayley or Kennedy sets? I'm fascinated with the idea of Bayley's barrel drones... I have a set of Walsh Scottish smallpipes with them and love them. Feel free to PM me if you fear you might start a flame war, I just want to get some good guidance on sets, not anger anyone.

I have a Quinn practice set from the 80s at this point, but I need to stop living in a vacuum and get some advice/lessons from my betters.....

Also (since I'm playing million questions here) who's making pipes on the U.S. West Coast? Anyone?
mukade

Re: Nakatsui Pipes

Post by mukade »

David Parkhurst wrote:I'm starting to plan another foray into uilleann piping, and noticed some rather nice Youtube videos featuring a set of pipes by Makoto Nakatsui.... anybody have experience with these? The sound seems pretty solid.

Anyone?
Makoto was making me a B 3/4 set until I had to cancel it due to illness. So sad to have to do that.
He has made some reeds from me in the past. Great guy to deal with and becoming one of the best makers out there.
I have played one of his D chanters and his workmanship is top notch.

When I ordered a set last year his waiting list was starting to fill up.

He used to post here under the username innerhand.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I got my full set of Nakatsui concert-pitch pipes in late 2013, and I really couldn't be happier. They're a pleasure to look at as well as to play, and Makoto went above and beyond to make sure I was happy. He was an absolute delight to work with. I only wish I could do this set justice, but maybe one day ... I'm getting a lot of practice time in because I enjoy playing it so much!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

Nakatsui;
- top workmanship
- appearance of top materials
- tone, tuning, reedability, all spot on

Mines a concert D.
This is the only chanter apart from the Rowsome that I had that has that
resonance of the whole piece of wood when fitted with a good reed. Other
instrumentalists describe it as "feeling alive in the hands" and its a definite thing
with this chanter.

See also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cSwRc2PHB0 for another positive opinion.

M
john

Post by john »

if anyone has a rough idea how much a full-set of his have been going for could they PM me

thanks
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

john wrote:if anyone has a rough idea how much a full-set of his have been going for could they PM me
You can probably contact him directly via his C&F profile here:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1189
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mukade

Post by mukade »

You can also contact him through his website.

http://www.nakatsuipipes.com/Pages/default.aspx
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

Makoto's pipes are great. He owns a set by Michael Hubbert of Boonville, CA, who he thinks is a master maker he has gotten a lot from. Michael's pipes are top knotch and he lives near you. He has the beginning of a website up, but not much on it yet. Call me in Tomales for more info. (707) 878-9978.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Wow! I went to the link m4malious posted, which then led me to this little number ... kind of nice ... :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA-DcoYpxQ8

I am so happy for Makoto. He works his butt off, and he's a lovely person. It's thrilling to see him doing well.

P.S. Ditto about the "alive" quality m4malious talked about. The chanter just hums.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Working on Cathy's chanter right now to get it reeded up, and I gotta tell ya . . . nicest chanter that has crossed my desk yet (apart from my own Ray Sloan chanter). She's a beau!
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.