Seth Gallagher's pipes?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Seth Gallagher's pipes?

Post by Steampacket »

What do you all think of Seth Gallagher's uilleann pipes? As far as I can see after doing a search on the net, Seth seems to have a reputation for making a good set of pipes. I've never played, or heard a Gallagher set live, only found a few video clips on his site. I'm primarily interested in a second hand set in D, and in how the drones and regulators sound, and how they are balanced. Has anyone here compared a Gallagher D-set to another D-set as regards sound, intonation, tuning etc.?
MarcusR
Location: I stay in a place called 'Rooms'... There's a whole chain of them.

Re: Seth Gallagher's pipes?

Post by MarcusR »

Hi Thomas!
Robert in Gothenburg has a full set by Seth if you want to have a closer look.

/M
There is no such thing as tailwind -- it's either against you or you're simply having great legs!
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Steampacket wrote: how the drones and regulators sound, and how they are balanced. Has anyone here compared a Gallagher D-set to another D-set as regards sound, intonation, tuning etc.?
I dont know much about Gallaghers pipes specifically ,but IMHO a good set of pipes should have the flexibility, that the balance and tone can be adjusted to the pipers liking and not predetermined by the pipemaker. His idea of balance and optimum tone may not be the same as the pipers.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Yes, thanks Marcus, forgot about Robert. We played at the Glenntown Irish Festival a few weeks ago with Siobhán Peoples & Murty Ryan on the bill, didn't see Robert though. I'm wondering what folks think about the sound of the drones and regs and if there any particular issues anyone has noticed. I've heard good things about Gallagher's instruments

Yes Rory, do you know the prices of Mark Donohoe's pipes?
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Steampacket wrote:Yes Rory, do you know the prices of Mark Donohoe's pipes?
They're cheap in price but expensive in quality,as for the euro value you'd have to contact him yourself.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

I've seen/heard/played a good few sets of Gallagher pipes over the years and he certainly makes a fine instrument.

Good octave tuning all over, hard and soft D's very close together, not too loud. Basically all the things you need for a good chanter. Drones and regulators are great too.
Seth has the added advantage of being a fine piper so he knows what a set of pipes should and can do.

The only negative comment I've heard about his pipes is that they all look the same. He's been called 'the general motors' of pipe makers. Which I think is a bit stupid. You'd never hear that about Froment's identical pipes for some reason.
But he is somewhat flexible with aesthetics. Just this week end I saw one of his sets in nickel silver with boxwood mounts. Lovely!
I played one of his C full sets a few years ago and I was very impressed.

Give Padraig McGovern a shout. He's one of the finest pipers living today and he makes a Gallagher set sing!

Tommy
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I had a Gallagher D chanter which was very nice. I currently have a Gallagher B chanter which is one of the nicest sounding chanters I've ever played. Can't help you on the drones/regs, but ask me again in a few years, because I'm hoping to add them to my B chanter.
PJ
john

Post by john »

i was impressed by his success in getting pipers of note to try out his chanters and give glowing reviews on his site - i think i saw paddy maloney, jimmy o'brien moran, gay mckeown and maybe others - it's a great idea i think to show good players go to town on a good instrument
Pekkos

Post by Pekkos »

I play with Robert in Gothenburg (previously mentioned) and his pipes are seems really steady regardless of season and weather, and I don't think he needs to make much adjustments of them at all. To me as a fiddle player i like the sound of them too!

/Anders in Gothenburg
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

Thanks, I'm not familiar with Padraig McGovern, but very impressed with his piping on his Gallagher set. Here he is playing the set, but with a chanter by another maker it looks like. The Gallagher drones and regs sound very nice here in this solo set of tunes starting at 7:35 minutes into the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aJXt2-Megw
The regs sound very good, in tune and not too loud by the way. Thanks Anders for your observation.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I think Seth makes synthetic regulator reeds.
PJ
Pekkos

Post by Pekkos »

The set I've heard had brass reg-reeds.

/Anders
Steampacket

Post by Steampacket »

"The set I've heard had brass reg-reeds." Pekkos

Yes. I'm thinking of pairing a late Dave Williams D chanter with a quality set of drones and regulators. Hence the inquiry about sound and tuning. Here Padraig playing his set with Gallagher chanter.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LevEZaHbMVI
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I'd say the chanter in the previous clip is by Benedict Koehler.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I had the pleasure of playing a Gallagher set with bronze reg reeds. Really nice instrument. The fellow who owned it said the regs are the most stable he's ever known. "Set them and forget them," basically.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.