Pipe Bag Recommendations

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CaperMike
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Pipe Bag Recommendations

Post by CaperMike »

It's time for a new bag. It's now a good workout to play and while my arms are stronger the pleasure of playing has diminished.

Any recommendations as to the best, or at least solidly reliable pipe bag sources? L and M are close by....

Also, comments on experiences with different shapes of bag, preferences for bag shape, etc.?

Thanks,

Mike
learnthegrip

Re: Pipe Bag Recommendations

Post by learnthegrip »

Very happy with my Jackie Boyce bag.
Was that a groan or did I hear the Dingle bagpipes Wasting war and?
Finnegans Wake
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Ardernhb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ardernhb »

Definitely Kelleher traditional!

The bag and bellows I got with my set quickly became very leaky (deflated in <10 seconds from leaks), so I replaced them with a Kelleher traditional standard bag and bellows and they are amazing! The bag and bellows I bought from them are still completely solid after over a year, nothing leaks. Also, just as an aside, the elbow and side padding on the bellows is very resilient to compression over time, it's very comfortable and as good as new.

They're great people to deal with and very helpful too (and make very comfortable shoes!).
maze
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by maze »

Great experience with L&M bags
Maze
mke_mick

Post by mke_mick »

I don't think there are many bad options out there, between the reputable dealers. I have two large-ish L & M bags that are both great, and one by MacHarg that's smaller but equally airtight and dependable.

As for recommendations for size & shape, this depends on your personal playing-position and your body-type. A larger bag might be more versatile: you can let it rest on your lap, which is what I do nowadays (it helps me minimize tension in my left arm & hand; or you can hold it further up into your armpit (which I used to prefer); or you can hold it at some midpoint. With a smaller bag, the low/lap position is probably less viable, depending on your torso height.

If at all possible, try a couple different sizes & shapes out, and see which you like best. I'm sure L & M has different models you can try.

By the way, have you tried re-seasoning the bag? It isn't difficult at all. People have strong opinions on the correct formula, but I've had excellent results with plain old Hardie's Airtight (available wherever fine Highland piping products are sold). It offgasses a little naturally-catalyzed formaldehyde after heating, but the smell goes away after a day or two if you play regularly.

Bags certainly don't last forever, regardless.

Cheers,
Mick
CaperMike

Post by CaperMike »

It's already been re-seasoned once. Perhaps a better formula, can't remember what I used. I'll check on that.

Any simple home made, low odour formulas for re-seasoning?

Mike
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

I use Beeswax and Olive oïl.... mixed together in an old saucepan.... about 40%Beeswax/ 60%Olive oïl warm up to mix. The resulting melange wants to be like soft Grease when cool... not too hard as it will crack off the surface of the bag and spit bits of wax into your reeds.

Pour into your bag when the mixture is quite warm... having blocked off the stocks... inflate the bag quickly after adding the stuff and shake the bag to spread the warm mixture over the internal surfaces and then... Sit on the inflated bag to press the greasy stuff into any pores or gaps.
Then pour out the, still liquid, remainder and squeeze out any excess and clean the stocks....

Check for air tightness when the cleaning up job is done... if the bag still leaks buy a new one!
CaperMike

Post by CaperMike »

Thanks Geoff!

How much of the mixture should you pour into the bag? I would guess 1/2 cup?

Mike
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Yes Mike,
about half a cup.... dépends what size cup though... half an Expresso cup would hardly do. Lets say a quarter of a pint , if it is too much it will be poured back out .

Hot enough to stay fluid during the process, but not hot enough to burn the leather... though it could burn your skin so be carefull.

I use a small plastic funnel to aid pouring the mixture through the neck stock. Work quickly once you get to the pouring stage.

To get any excess out of the bag again I place it on a flat surface and use a small Rolling Pin ( a round sanding block for reedmaking) to squeeze the greasy goop towards the exits.

Good luck,
Geoff.
Calum

Post by Calum »

I'll stick my long neck in here and say I suspect that while GHB seasoning mixtures are excellent for GHB bags, they are probably less so for ambient-wind pipes. Stuff like Hardies is designed for wet air which keeps the whole system in some kind of balance; without, it will dry out pretty quickly and not do its job properly. Certainly you don't leave GHB bags sitting for a week without putting some air through them.
m4malious

Post by m4malious »

...good advice above - avoid Hardies, at least.

I had the exact experience described - used Hardies, per instruction, on a nice kangaroo skin bag
I have. All was wonderful the first few years (yes, years) - very staunch - then I started to notice small, skin-like, flakes
appearing - these grew larger over time, till it looked like a bad case of sunburn peeling off everywhere....
The effort required to finally wash, scrub, rinse this completely off the inside of the bag made me swear never again.
M
Calum

Post by Calum »

Yes, I should perhaps have mentioned I had the exact same experience with my smallpipes. Dried out glycerine, I presume.

I kept quiet because the formula for Hardies, at least, has changed twice since my experiment back in 1999.
mke_mick

Post by mke_mick »

I'm a little embarrassed, but glad to have been set straight. (The story of my life.) Thanks, guys!

Maybe proactively re-seasoning my Hardie's-seasoned bag with Geoff's beeswax/oil mixture could prevent flaking, by sealing the Hardie's in, and/or keeping it from drying out.

--Mick
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

mke_mick wrote:I'm a little embarrassed, but glad to have been set straight. (The story of my life.) Thanks, guys!

Maybe proactively re-seasoning my Hardie's-seasoned bag with Geoff's beeswax/oil mixture could prevent flaking, by sealing the Hardie's in, and/or keeping it from drying out.

--Mick
Ooooh ?....... I don't know about that, espescially if the 'Hardies' contains glycerine.... I have seen some horrible messes oozing out of French bagpipes that had glycerine in the seasoning.... and I can imagine my 'hot wax' treatment stripping the Hardies from the inside surfaces of your bag and.......*ù§¤°!!

If it ain't broke I'd leave it be Mick,

Geoff.