30th Dutch Tionól

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Evertjan 't Hart
antispam: No

30th Dutch Tionól

Post by Evertjan 't Hart »

It's almost that time of the year again....
30th Dutch Tionól Celebration!
This year from the 19th to the 21st of September the NVUP celebrates 30 years of uilleann piping in The Netherlands.
Over the years we've had many distinguished guests and we are lucky enough to be able to ask some of them back this year. Therefore we are very happy to announce that Kevin Rowsome and Tiarnán Ó Duinnchinn have graciously consented to spend this special weekend with us.
The 30th annual Dutch Tionól will take place on the weekend of the 19th-21th of September. See website for more details!
http://nvup.nl
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: 30th Dutch Tionól

Post by Mr.Gumby »

NVUP celebrates 30 years of uilleann piping in The Netherlands
Equating NVUP's anniversary to the anniversary of 'uilleann piping in the Netherlands' is a bit of a grand statement, isn't it? They hardly introduced it into the low countries.
My brain hurts

Evertjan 't Hart

Mr.Gumby wrote:
NVUP celebrates 30 years of uilleann piping in The Netherlands
Equating NVUP's anniversary to the anniversary of 'uilleann piping in the Netherlands' is a bit of a grand statement, isn't it? They hardly introduced it into the low countries.
You're absolutely right Mr.Gumby the NVUP didn't introduced it into the Netherlands.
I'll form a posse this weekend and hunt down the eejit responsible for this outrages mistake.
This despicable person will be sentenced to twenty lashes and his pipes wil be taken and burned in a bonfire outside.
Except if the pipes are made by Geoff Wooff of course, if so these will be sent to Peter Laban in Ireland.
He can take proper care of them and stroke them gently in the evening as he is the only one worthy of them.
The guilty one will be banned from the NVUP and this will teach him or her not to irritate Mr. Gumby with stupid statements.

And while we are at it HOW DARE the NVUP to celebrate Uilleann piping in the Netherlands.
I'll contact the Committee and tell them NO celebration this weekend, no fun, no drinks, no music.
This weekend we will ponder upon our sins in shame and as redemption members will be forced to read ALL the comments Mr Gumby wrote on this forum....
That will take their will to live, the b*******

Evertjan
Last edited by Evertjan 't Hart on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Evertjan 't Hart wrote: See above

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
john

Post by john »

i think i saw some beautiful piping by tommy mcarthy from one of the dutch tionols, pure clancy
john

Post by john »

i just realised that the word basmati changed to b******** after i logged in - weird, it must be something to do with masking suspicious looking words
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Equating NVUP's anniversary to the anniversary of 'uilleann piping in the Netherlands' is a bit of a grand statement, isn't it? They hardly introduced it into the low countries.
No, no. UP in NL goes back further, but they're only celebrating the last 30 years of it. If it's anything like other tionóls, that ought to be more than enough celebration. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

john wrote:i just realised that the word basmati changed to b******** after i logged in - weird, it must be something to do with masking suspicious looking words
Dale's vendetta against Indian rice strikes again!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I just don't get what is so illegitimate about Basmati Rice :wink:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

You're absolutely right Mr.Gumby the NVUP didn't introduced it into the Netherlands.
I'll form a posse this weekend and hunt down the eejit responsible for this outrages mistake.
Ah yes, aggressive ill-conceived sarcasm, more than a whiff of begrudgery and a drop of ad-hominem.
i think i saw some beautiful piping by tommy mcarthy from one of the dutch tionols, pure clancy
Tommy was on great story-telling form. Swier Oosterhuis, committee chairman at the time (maybe he still is) used to call over when he was in Ireland. He gave me a dvd of Tommy Mac's recital and I put some of that briefly on youtube.

Tommy Reck, Ronan Browne in Oss, Neilidh Mulligan's first visit, Brian Gallagher's trip to Texel, Mick O Brien in Enschede, some of the tionols left good, positive memories of Dutch club events. Mitchell was interesting too, but that was a sort of mid-term event and I suffered a bit of boat-lag after driving up from Ireland and arriving at the venue straight of the night ferry so my recollections of that day are a bit hazy.

But I think it's fair to people like Doede Veenman, Frans Hattink, Geert Oude Weernink, Peter van Liempt, Rens van der Zalm, Pier Kuipers and especially Rob van Dijk (and some others whose names escape me for now ) who played during the late seventies and early eighties, to recognise they helped create an atmosphere of piping and an enthusiasm that eventually led to a gathering to coincide with a tour by Eugene Lambe. That meeting and the good feeling it generated led in turn, after, I seem to remember, a lot of to-ing and fro-ing by some who didn't want to formalise things, to the formation of NVUP.
My brain hurts

Evertjan 't Hart

Ah yes, aggressive ill-conceived sarcasm, more than a whiff of begrudgery and a drop of ad-hominem.
Wow 'begrudgery' had to look that one up... and some latin, 'ad-hominem' on top of that, impressive.
Why do you think you achieved success or wealth and why do you think I care?

But I'll stop with the sarcasm now Peter. You just pissed me off because of your nitpicking.
You was probably one of founding pipers of the NVUP but instead of 'well done guys to kept it going all those years' or 'congrats with the 30th' you had to point out a mistake.
It was written by someone who is not a native English speaker so that little mistake slipped in, well who cares.

EJ
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Well EvertJan, who cares? I do, apparently. Not for myself, it's all bygones to me, I attended a few NVUP tionols, that's it. I but I do care on behalf of a few good people who did put in the work at the start without having their efforts acknowledged.

I suppose you have no knowledge or insight in the first decade of the whole thing. Just as I am oblivious of the following twenty years. But I don't think you even half begin to realise how true to form, to my ears, both your original posting and especially your responses are.
My brain hurts

Evertjan 't Hart

But I don't think you even half realise how true to form, to my ears, both your original posting and on top of that your responses are. And that's exactly what, against my better judgement, prompted the response. You don't care about the nuance of it. My point exactly.
The sentence that triggered your response "the NVUP celebrates 30 years of uilleann piping in The Netherlands."
is in no way saying that the NVUP introduced Uilleann Piping in the Netherlands.
It's your interpretation.

Well I'm done for now, take care anyway Peter
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The sentence that triggered your response "the NVUP celebrates 30 years of uilleann piping in The Netherlands."
is in no way saying that the NVUP introduced Uilleann Piping in the Netherlands.
It's your interpretation.
Yes, well, fair enough. MTGuru made the point earlier too. And wouldn't this thread have come out so much more palatable if you taken that line yesterday, instead of coming out spewing venom like you did?
My brain hurts

john

Post by john »

evertjan, what tv show was the following from? did the gigs flood in after your spot?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRURptYhDWI

i've been filmed countless times when busking but never find any of it online, although i am going to post myself on youtube soon but anonymously