D CHANTER WANTED

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ashley3
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

D CHANTER WANTED

Post by ashley3 »

Hello,

I am in the market for a D chanter. I would prefer a Cillian If anyone has one for sale and also fully keyed would be nice. But I will look at anything.

Please email me pictures of what you have for sale or of anyone has a good maker they can recommend who doesn't have a long waiting list that would great.

Thanks very much

Ashley
tompipes

Re: D CHANTER WANTED

Post by tompipes »

There's a few makers on the board here, myself included, that might be able to help.
But tell us where you live. There may be a pipes maker a lot closer to you too.

Best of luck!

Tommy
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I have a Robbie Hughes with three keys (f nat, g#, and c nat). Reeded and playing well. Email if you are interested.
Arbo
john

Post by john »

i heard a gordon galloway chanter recently - it was very bright sounding and loud and i could see that it wasn't hard to get up to the high b - i'd say his chanters would give cillian's a run for their money
anima
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by anima »

assuming you have a bag and bellows to go with it?
ashley3

Post by ashley3 »

Cheers everyone.

I have a Rogge C set coming with drones that slide up to D so I only need a chanter.

I'm living down in Clare.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

You're spoiled for choice there.
Give Jim Wenham a shout. He makes a cracking chanter similar to Cillians design.

Tommy
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I have a Rogge C set coming with drones that slide up
When you get them tune the drones to D and with the C chanter you can play tunes like Toss the Feathers and The Pipers Despair, Tom Busbys jig etc. which are in E minor but they'll be in D minor with the C chanter and they go lovely with the D drones.

Tommy
uilleannfinlander
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by uilleannfinlander »

try Mickey Dunne or Andy Faden made chanters , both make O'Briains like chanters (If remember rigth both been C O'Briain's apprentises also)
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Cillian was Brian Howard's apprentice, so Brian is also very good and sometimes overlooked.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

buskerSean wrote:Cillian was Brian Howard's apprentice, so Brian is also very good and sometimes overlooked.
I thought Cillian was taught by Matt Kiernan?
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Well, they are not mutually exclusive. He worked for Brian Howard in Waterford for a while as the hired hand/apprentice.
My brain hurts

Peter Likestone
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Peter Likestone »

Ashley,
They are now lots of good makers all over the world. I play on a Brian Howard set and it's great.
But when you buy a set of pipes, it's better to buy it from a maker near you for further maintenance, reeds etc.
So, you live in the best area. There are good makers there : For example, Mickey Dunne makes great pipes and is not far from you (Limerick). His pipes are on Cillan's design. They often meet and work together.
Mickey is not on the of NPU's pipemakers list since they changed their website. People have to ask to be on the list. If you want his adress just send me a PM.
Regards
Pierre
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Cool! That sounds like lots of fun. As for the D chanter, Jim Wenham's in Tipperary and his chanters are terrific -- I've played one for about six years, and people who have O'Briain chanters have played mine and liked it just fine. And Jim's reeds are pretty much bombproof, too -- basically, you put gas in them and they go wherever and however you want with no fuss. If you want his email address, just PM me. Good luck, and enjoy the magical land of C :-)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
buskerSean
Tell us something.: I am a walrus, I am a tea pot. John Lennon said that but people see him as a guru. Well,tell,you what he also almost became a piper asking Paddy Keenan to teach him. (bleep) got bored & went on the sitar and the rest is history.

Post by buskerSean »

Good advice about using a local(ish) maker! On the subject of quality makers though I was amazed by a FB conversation today with a D chanter FS by a highly regarded maker, which used a tuning rush and taped holes. Holes taped buy the maker too. Now, would any orchestral instrument maker do this, never mind a market leader? So why should us pipers put up with it?

As chanters exist without rushes or tape, is it fair to say some makers just do not have the knowledge of acoustics needed to produce a quality instrument? Let's not descend into a bun fight here, genuine question.