Finger Bounce

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
CaperMike
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Finger Bounce

Post by CaperMike »

I recently heard Mikie Smith describe a 'finger bounce' as an UP ornament.

He claimed it was 'indescribable'. Fair enough. But I failed to pick it up from watching and listening to his playing.

Perhaps someone who's mastered it, can give a go at describing how to perform the 'finger bounce.'

Mike
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Finger Bounce

Post by An Draighean »

Would that be the same thing that Seamus Ennis called a "shiver"? You flex your hand at the wrist and let the finger for the desired note vibrate over the tone hole, is the best way I can describe that.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
KJM

Post by KJM »

CaperMike wrote:I recently heard Mikie Smith describe a 'finger bounce' as an UP ornament.

He claimed it was 'indescribable'. Fair enough. But I failed to pick it up from watching and listening to his playing.

Perhaps someone who's mastered it, can give a go at describing how to perform the 'finger bounce.'

Mike
I learned how to do it while attempting to do trills. I also thought the "bounce" name was confusing, but then I noticed that if I only "trilled" once it was a bounce.
ausdag
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ausdag »

Here is Sean Potts doing lots of finger bouncing, something his style of piping is known for:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFsx39t0EeU

The name is as it suggests...you bounce your finger upon playing the note; not quite the same as playing a trill where your focus is on lifting the finger. Bouncing seems to just happen when you focus on bouncing the finger down as if it is a rubber ball. Obviously it involves lifting the finger, but for some reason if you think of it as a lift, it won't work, at least not for me. It's more of a slam down and let the finger lift and slam down again. In this sense it only works when stepping down the scale (A to G for example) rather than going up.
David (ausdag) Goldsworthy
http://ozuilleann.weebly.com/
mukade

Post by mukade »

I always found it easier to get the bounce by bringing the joint of the finger down on the hole rather than the pad.

You can hear Mikey doing it a lot in this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8uHVu4Res

Personally I like to hear more notes played straight.
Mikey and Sean obviously don't.
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

mukade wrote:I always found it easier to get the bounce by bringing the joint of the finger down on the hole rather than the pad.

You can hear Mikey doing it a lot in this vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF8uHVu4Res

Personally I like to hear more notes played straight.
Mikey and Sean obviously don't.
You'll hate me then! :lol:

I may be wrong, but It seems it's more common to do on flat pipes, it it because of tonal flexibility? Or the traditional playing style?

I think I mentioned this kind of stuff in my chanter reed thread, very cool stuff.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.