US Government Announces Ban on Elephant Ivory

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Pipey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

US Government Announces Ban on Elephant Ivory

Post by Pipey »

For Your Information:

Today the United States announced a National Strategy for Combating Wildlife Trafficking. The Strategy will strengthen U.S. leadership on addressing the serious and urgent conservation and global security threat posed by illegal trade in wildlife.

In addition to the strategy, we are also announcing a ban on commercial trade of elephant ivory, which will enhance our efforts to protect iconic species like elephants and rhinos by prohibiting the import, export, or resale within the United States of elephant ivory except in a very limited number of circumstances.

Full text here:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-off ... mmercial-b

Best Regards to All.

Pipey
"So many tunes, so little time"

Member - www.hudsonriverpipersclub.com
Hans-Joerg
Location: Germany, half an hour west of "Old Brunswick" (Braunschweig < Brunswieck)

Re: US Government Announces Ban on Elephant Ivory

Post by Hans-Joerg »

No problem: Gen-manipulated pigs instead!
megapop
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by megapop »

Hans-Joerg wrote:No problem: Gen-manipulated pigs instead!
No "problem" from the first.
return null;
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

For fecksake:
We will limit the number of African elephant sport-hunted trophies that an individual can import to two per hunter per year.
My brain hurts

PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

The good news is that road-kill ivory will be permitted. :wink:
PJ
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

PJ wrote:The good news is that road-kill ivory will be permitted. :wink:

If the importer was the driver of the vehicle that is! :o

I once saw the state of a Datsun which had colided with a Camel, the car was less than half its original length (I also saw the Camel and it was not a very large one).... So, if you've crashed into an Elephant and survived, perhaps you deserve to take some of the poor beast home as a souvenir ?
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

So, what's different here is the sale within the US of ivory? I have assumed import/export has been a no-no for some time.

This could complicate inter-US pipes sale considerably. I foresee:

For sale: full set of uilleann pipes
Brass, ebony, and contrasting trim :wink: :wink:nudge, nudge.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
Calum

Post by Calum »

Given the penalties likely to be on offer, I would suggest doing so is a bad idea. This is not like violating eBay's rules.

This has been the obvious direction of travel in US policy especially for a while.
patsky

Post by patsky »

This law does not go far enough. Here is how to address the real problem.

1- Poachers should captured, hunted down and shot on the spot. Poachers are now using machine guns and helicopters to kill entire herds of these innocent animals. I think a good ratio is to shoot 5 poachers for every elephant poached.

2) All elephant and Rhino horn and ivory from all sources should be banned, ceased and heavily fined , including artworks and antiques, and yes!...pipes.

3) We should apply trade restrictions to other countries that allow Ivory, especially China and their lame folk medicine that says ivory and horns have curative powers. We are suppose to allow the slaughter of rhinos so some idiot can improve his/her sex life.
Pipes, Reeds and free information on my website: http://www.patricksky.com
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

I thought it was already banned? I don't get it.
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

patsky wrote:This law does not go far enough. Here is how to address the real problem.

1- Poachers should captured, hunted down and shot on the spot. Poachers are now using machine guns and helicopters to kill entire herds of these innocent animals. I think a good ratio is to shoot 5 poachers for every elephant poached.

2) All elephant and Rhino horn and ivory from all sources should be banned, ceased and heavily fined , including artworks and antiques, and yes!...pipes.

3) We should apply trade restrictions to other countries that allow Ivory, especially China and their lame folk medicine that says ivory and horns have curative powers. We are suppose to allow the slaughter of rhinos so some idiot can improve his/her sex life.
The South African military is supporting the rangers in Kruger Park and still they are losing 50 rhino per year. It's simple economics: $80,000 for a rhino horn when the average wage in Mozambique wouldn't put tires on my car.

And China is the market. Good luck lobbying for trade restrictions against China. Most western countries are climbing over eachother to trade with China.
PJ
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Hans-Joerg wrote:No problem: Gen-manipulated pigs instead!

Or vegetable ivory.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
bensdad

Post by bensdad »

Freeze-dried extra-firm tofu.
BzzzzT
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by BzzzzT »

patsky wrote:This law does not go far enough. Here is how to address the real problem.

AND.... Let pipemakers know in writing and in person who currently utilize elephant ivory (Not Mammoth), about the UNETHICAL use of ivory (EVEN IF PROCURED LEGALLY OR FROM CURRENT STOCK). Put pressure on those who use ivory, on sets currently being produced. Don't support those with your dollar vote who use ivory, legal or otherwise, even if it is not on your personal set and even if it is from current stock in the workshop. Don't give your money to those who use ivory.

Our dollars fuel the elephants problems. Even if our use of ivory pales in comparison. Irish music and the pipes are a precious thing, just like elephants.

I stand by this 100%, even if those who make pipes consider ivory a superior material to modern synthetics!

- Jason
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

Mr.Gumby wrote:For fecksake:
We will limit the number of African elephant sport-hunted trophies that an individual can import to two per hunter per year.
Is Mr. Gumby really the only one who finds it disturbing that all ivory is banned, except if the elephant has been killed for FUN? :really: