Quinn set in C for sale

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Quinn set in C for sale

Post by glands »

Contact me for specifics and price.
Serious inquiries only.

Lewis Blevins
paintcali@comcast.net
maze

Re: Quinn set in C for sale

Post by maze »

check pm
Maze
glands

Post by glands »

To those who have the courage to slag me on Facebook and not this forum or directly... the Uilleann piping community is characterized by a lot of lovely people..... and I've met many of my lifetime friends thru pipering. And, I've met some disgusting low lifes who are a waste of time. But, maybe, those of you unkind folks and I will have a few "choice words" when we meet.

The the fifteen of you who have made serious inquiries via email....I've been busy and I will get back to all of you when I write up a summary. The pipes can be heard on my FB page. That was with an iPhone. Not a the best quality. But gives you an idea.

Lewis Blevins
tommykleen
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Wow...that set is to you as Lucille was to BB King.

Stunned,
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

I believe that once you put a financial value on a personal possession, whatever it is, the sentimental value no longer exists. I just hope the you, Lewis, aren't putting too much sentimental value on the sound you are desiring from the C# set that you are looking for.
The sound of any set of pipes comes from you. Your playing will dictate the sound of the pipes. So the sound that Gabe gets from his pipes won't be the sound that you can attain. It's nothing to do with standards of musicianship, you're just different people with different styles of playing. So I just hope you won't be disappointed, that's all. We have all heard Liam O'Flynn, Mick O'Brien or Gay McKeon playing sets from various makers and they just sound, albeit distinctively, like Liam or Mick or Gay playing different pipes.

A fine set of pipes is fine quality timber with holes drilled in the right places. The pipers efforts and skills turns it into a great set.

If it were me I'd have to be very confident that the pipes I want are accessible before I part with a set that I'm happy with now.

Tommy
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

The original Lucille was burnt in a fire. Apparently, these pipes are getting burnt in a fire of a different kind...
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
glands

Post by glands »

Great advice Tommy and I agree with you.

I can get an awesome sound out of any reasonable set. I'm confident about that. I'll not part with this set until I can be certain of obtaining a set that meets my requirements and expectations. The set is priceless...to me. But, everything has a price. Right? So far, 15 inquiries...not a single offer. I wanna know what people will pay for the privilege of owning the set. I'd prefer to trade for a C# set as that is the pitch in which my ear simply wants to hear ITM. I can't help that. It's the way it is.

Davy Spillane posted on a site about 15 years ago that he wouldn't sell his set of pipes for $100,000. I think the message was he'd probably take it. Nobody slagged him over it.

If Wooff or Quinn said they didn't wanna make many sets and wanted to charge $25,000 to $37,500 for a set of pipes to make a reasonable living making 6-10 sets per year nobody would slag them, either. I'd bet people would pay. It would be a select group. But people would pay. If they wanna sell at a lower price so people can afford them that is fine. But they have no business saying anything about the resale value of a set. Market forces determine the resale. If they made 100 sets a year people would be selling their sets for less than they paid. No doubt about that. But, their list is "closed" wink wink. And, I know that some are never going to get on that list when it is not "closed." They make pipes for people they want to make pipes for...and that is fine!!! People will pay a premium to get a set they otherwise cannot obtain. So the pipemaker himself is creating the high dollar value secondary market by the manner in which he accepts orders, schedules his work, etc.

This set is the "Strad" of C sets as far as I'm concerned. People who cannot afford a Strad do not slag those who can, or talk ill of the transaction, or write on FB..."well F*** me sideways.." How rude! Those people are not "gentleman pipers." Those looking into Strads form the gallery of "can't afford its for someone else" are usually, but not always, classy people. ITM is a folk music of the peoples. And whenever one has "the peoples" of all walks of life there will be arses and eejits who do not get it and come out of the woodwork to comment negatively and assault character and abilities. Much of it is wealth envy. Those who say wealthy people have no time to do a great set justice are purely spouting nonsense. More assumptions. Wrong ones. I know plenty of wealthy pipers who have more free time than the rest of us.

Plenty of people have $30,000 to $50,000 worth of pipes laying around that they don't play or can't manage. Some of them don't even work! They have spent that amount of money maybe to get the one set they play 80% of the time. I've seen the collections. So what's wrong with having one set that costs the same as all the others but that does indeed work? And creates a magical one of a kind nothing like it sound. For a C set that is bright. While I am enamored with the set and its tone..... I want the same quality of pipes in C #.

The sentimentality regarding Quinn sets, however, disappeared when........
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Enough. Thread locked - Mod
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Lewis, if you want to offer your set for sale, then offer it. If instead you want to pontificate about it, then this thread is just an attempted continuation of your last locked thread, and you are in violation of our board policies. Consider this your final warning.

This thread is locked.

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.