I Had a Dream

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jonathan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.
I've taught music in Austin since 2011 or so.

I Had a Dream

Post by Jonathan »

Last night. I was playing a brand new full set by Master Wooff. Concert pitch. Narrow bore, I'd guess, by the colors of the notes. Ebony, brass, and ivory... Majestic. I don't remember the tune I was playing, but it was a reel; it was somber and joyous all at once. And my god, it was laid-back and swinging, but good. I was playing in a small room that felt like the place where I sleep, but there was wood and brass trim all over, as if I were in a pub, or surrounded by the makings of pipes. The music filled the room like an organ, bouncing off the walls--there wasn't a corner or crack it didn't reach. I was the only person in the room, yet I could feel the presence of others who were listening and enjoying the magic of this music with me. I played the tune again and again for hours, transforming it with each repetition, but maintaining its elegant form.

I woke up in the middle of the tune and slowly became aware of the fact that it was only a dream. I had a sense of longing and, perhaps, even a touch of anguish. However, the disappointment of this realization was far outweighed by the transcendence experienced within the dream itself-- an experience I can't imagine ever forgetting. Now I ponder the nature of reality as a few of my most powerfully moving experiences have occurred within the dream world. At least two of those have involved piping.

Pipes, you are such a harsh mistress, but I suspect that if it were any other way, you wouldn't be capable of such beauty.
glands
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: I Had a Dream

Post by glands »

You're an awesome flautist!!! Sorry to learn you're having nightmares of playing reeds....though I can understand the desire to play the set you mention!
Jonathan
Tell us something.: Have played Irish traditional music >15 yrs. Flute, pipes, guitar.

Post by Jonathan »

Thank you, sir. I have had nightmares of playing reeds, but this wasn't one of them. I was at a birthday party with a bunch of jazz musicians and Lindy hoppers last night. One of them, a class string bassist and great friend, is also a devoted piper. At one point we talked piping for all of a minute. A bunch of stuff happened after that, but I guess those few words brought on the dream. What a magnificent set that was. :cry:
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Nice dream and you are an excellent writer too. Wish I had a dream like that!
I'm on it...
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I wish I had a dream like that!

P.S. Were you playing a C set?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
john

Post by john »

I was staying on the west coast of Ireland once and had a dream where an air drifted up from the sea and into my sleeping consciousness. I was very frustrated not to have any recollection of it the next day because it sounded very simple and beautiful and I didn't know if it was an original tune or not. That's the closest I ever got to writing a melody I'm afraid.
chaos97

Post by chaos97 »

^could it have been Port na bPúcaí?

i've honestly had a few dreams like that myself. not just pipes but also song compositions and such. the most amazing things seem to come out in dreams. it kinda makes me wonder if its all traped down in the subconscious somewhere, but with intense searching, practice, and mastering it becomes more easily 'tapped into.' i sometimes feel like Beethoven's 9th might have came from a place like that.
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Yes. The real music comes out when one forgets where they are and even what they're doing, as if they are merely a conduit. That's when the subconscious mind gains more footing and the magic happens. I wish there were more time to think and talk about all this. Thanks for indulging me, pipers.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

I used to have dreams like that, but then I stopped eating cheese before bedtime. :sleep:
PJ
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Jonathan wrote:Yes. The real music comes out when one forgets where they are and even what they're doing, as if they are merely a conduit. That's when the subconscious mind gains more footing and the magic happens. I wish there were more time to think and talk about all this. Thanks for indulging me, pipers.

Hyup! :D

You're lucky to have a dream like that! Last night I experienced sleep paralysis! But then again it was kinda cool.......
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

:sleep: Evil chuckling..... bit of snoring... reading this.... little smile!! :)
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I had a dream where the pipes came alive and tried to strangle me. The drones wrapped around my neck and the regs sat up like snakes,the tuning pins flicking in and out like the snakes tongue ,spitting and hissing . Other times I have bad dreams.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Surely you are familiar with Tartini's Dream?
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Wonderful, Jonathan. Your description is moving and poetic and I can almost feel it myself.

I can't remember ever having a dream concerning music. I do have a strange recurring motif, discovering that something valuable to me is damaged. I might look in the mirror and see some cracked teeth, or look in the garage and see the tyres of my car slashed, or open up my pipecase and see the blackwood all termite-eaten, or open up my flute case and see the wood split.

I did have a dream recently where a younger version of myself and a young woman were sitting on the grass on the front lawn of some house chatting. It was just after sunset and the air had that wonderful feeling of warmth and coolness all at once. There was that pleasant smell of fresh-cut grass and the air was sweet. I had the most intense feeling of happiness and well-being. Then I awoke. Who was the woman? What were we talking about? Where were we? I have no clue. But the glowing happiness stayed with me long after.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

<<pinch!>>

:shock: :really:
sorry, just *had* to... :D