The times they are a changin

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

The times they are a changin

Post by rorybbellows »

There is no doubt that the sound of pipes and ITM in general is changing as time goes by. For want of a better explanation its like the music is getting cleaned up in regards to intonation and tone and maybe style , to me it sound s as if its heading away from tradition and more “modern “ influenced . First of all do you agree, and if so whats driving the change?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
PhilD
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: The times they are a changin

Post by PhilD »

I was mulling this one over the other day myself, definitely feels like there is are two groups to me, New Trad and Trad Trad. Or maybe it could just be defined as a Studio Trad and Kitchen Trad?!
Phil Dale
soundcloud.com/philleann
"Those in power write the history, those who suffer write the songs"
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Kitchen trad. :thumbsup:
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
m muir

Post by m muir »

Who would you say are at the forefront of the changing style? Pipers like John McSherry and Jarlath Henderson?
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

My own theory which of course is open to dispute is that ITM is getting more influenced by modern non-tradition music such as rock and pop music and a more non –traditionally educated audience.
Fifty or sixty years ago when ITM was nearly exclusively played in Ireland and when there was not as much recorded music around, the only outside influences were travelling musicians with different regional styles of ITM, but still ITM. Nowadays young trad musicians are bombarded with music from everywhere and this ever so slightly infiltrates their playing ,hardly perceivable but cumulative.
Audiences that are brought up on a diet of pop and rock or whatever ,who ears are used to equal temperament scales and rhythms outside ITM want a music that they still call ITM but has influences that they recognise that maybe a ITM musician from sixty years might not.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Very good topic Rory.

It's changing alright. Piping styles are becoming more polished and even sanitized maybe?

I think a lot of is due to the amount of influences pipers are exposed to nowadays. For example, a piper in 1900 would have had some regular lessons and not much exposure to other piping styles during their development. By the time they got to hear other players their style of playing would have been well established and not prone change much.
So pipers of that era that we have recordings of, P Touhey, James Ennis, B Delaney, D Delaney, Mici Cumbaw, etc all had very distinctive personal styles largely due to limited exposure to other players.

Nowadays we can listen to hundreds of pipers at will and most pipers today have had lessons with several pipers and picked various elements of technique form all those players. Not to mention flute, fiddle, concertina, etc. players influences too.

Even if you listen to early recordings of tenor sax or electric guitar you can hear distinctive styles that you don't hear that much nowadays too.
Who would you say are at the forefront of the changing style? Pipers like John McSherry and Jarlath Henderson?
I'd say that goes back to Leo Rowsome from his vast influences as a teacher and his recordings.

Also access to better pipes and reeds today mean that pipers can actually do some practice without hardship so they can work on polishing these stylistic influences.

My 2c

Tommy
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Audiences that are brought up on a diet of pop and rock or whatever ,who ears are used to equal temperament scales and rhythms outside ITM want a music that they still call ITM but has influences that they recognise that maybe a ITM musician from sixty years might not.
Very true.
PhilD

Post by PhilD »

rorybbellows wrote: Nowadays young trad musicians are bombarded with music from everywhere and this ever so slightly infiltrates their playing ,hardly perceivable but cumulative.
I would agree its a cumulative effect rather than one or two individuals. And as Tommy said, it is all about influence, the range of influences we are exposed to, even just within the tradition, is massive now. That might lead to more people wanting to play like modern pipers I suppose, but is that a bad thing really? I don't think so.

Some of the pipers we look back at, and hold up as examples of the tradition, where just as influenced by their times and surroundings. Doran was a working musician who adapted/developed his style playing for people in the street. He performed in a way that entertained and earned him money. Touhey had a style that endured him to music hall crowds, the pop entrainment of his day! Both were masters of the instrument, but probably slightly different sounding to the master pipers before them.

Its probably something that happens in cycles, and repeats through history. The changing of the guard! Maybe we are just at that moment again now.
Ceann Cromtha
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I think that one reason I like Éanna Ó Cróinín's album Ceol Ársa na bPiob and Joey Abarta's album Swimming Against the Falls so much is that both convey more of that "kitchen sound" or whatever you want to call it ("the groan and grunts of steel, wood and leather"). In the notes of the first CD Mikie Smyth wrote:

"There are two main issues at play with this album. Firstly the music and the arrangements are superbly delivered. However the second component is the fresh rawness of the recording. Smyth comments on "the groan and grunts of steel, wood and leather impeccably controlled by a young master" On this point his well chosen words hit the mark. Recording solo albums can be a risky business indeed and the decision to leave in the "grunt and groan" described above, lifts the recording onto another plain. Other squeaks and imperfections exist and they likewise have not been digitally cleaned up. Separate tracks have not been used for the drones, regulators or chanter and the sound of the bellows and foot tapping have been likewise retained bringing us back very much to the old recordings of Ennis and Clancy. The resultant recording captures the true essence and spirit of the instrument and the art. The tracks are well chosen with a mix of well known and lesser known tunes. Even though you may not be the type that sits around listening to solo piping albums too often, for this you may make an exception. Put on your headphones and use it as a moment to savour the sheer beauty of uilleann pipes as they should be heard. Listen to The Lady's Cup of Tea set for example. A degree in music is not required - just an ear and a smile."

Great stuff.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

I've listened to Joey Abarta playing some tunes on his Kennedy B Set. Some squeaks here and there, but very lovely, graceful playing. I try to play the old fashioned way with a very tight style. I would say I get inspiration from pipers like Ennis, Tommy Reck, and Paddy Maloney. (But I'm nowhere near as good as them, obviously!!) :)

Very seldom do I listen to modern players....

Would you-guys say that the old traditional way of playing is staying preserved?
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Kevin L. Rietmann
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

An awful lot of musicians anymore sound like they're playing in a session or a group, even on their own. Ensemble playing swamps any kind of other influence I think. We strive to blend into what the group as a whole are playing, lowering ourselves to the common denominator of lesser instruments, ahem. :moreevil: Scratchy fiddles, squeaky whistles, all to the beat set down by drums and guitars. In an environment like that you won't see too many Tommy Recks develop an instantly recognizable style, unless they're very definite personalities like Joey or Mikie, who I can recognize after the first bar.
tompipes

Post by tompipes »

Would you-guys say that the old traditional way of playing is staying preserved?
Yes. There are lots of great pipers scattered all over the world that hold on to a great style of playing. People like Joey, as already mentioned, Dickie Deegan, Donncha Dwyer, Seamus O'Rochain to name a few. There's a skip load of young Mulligans, Dorans, Rowsomes, playing quality traditional piping not to mention the dozens of NPU students.

No danger of anything being lost at all.

Tommy
JR

Post by JR »

I find it's a case of being adaptable.

When playing solo I like it to sound 'like pipes' with nice tight playing, conservative ornamentation, bounce in rhythm. Drones & regs.

In ensemble playing this style can clash. Id go for a more contemporary approach, fit more of the rhythm of the group/backing, leave space for other musicians to occupy, use more open and complementary ornamentation such as big legato runs, counter melodies, octave playing, multiple rolls.

It's worth changing your style of playing based on circumstance.

A good example of a modern piper who does this would be Ronan Browne, with his solo/duet work compared with group stuff like Cran.

Or even listen to Paddy Keenans stark first solo record in comparison to the Bothy Band.
Brazenkane
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Brazenkane »

ennischanter wrote:I've listened to Joey Abarta playing some tunes on his Kennedy B Set. Some squeaks here and there, but very lovely, graceful playing.

It's these kind of observations that have pushed piping into the near sanitized direction. I've never heard that observation bestowed on Ennis or Clancy, and yet there are more than a few places where those things happen. This is not a comment on Joey's playing, but an overall observation on the observation itself!!! Grit is where it's at for me…. honest playing.
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Brazenkane wrote:
ennischanter wrote:I've listened to Joey Abarta playing some tunes on his Kennedy B Set. Some squeaks here and there, but very lovely, graceful playing.

It's these kind of observations that have pushed piping into the near sanitized direction. I've never heard that observation bestowed on Ennis or Clancy, and yet there are more than a few places where those things happen. This is not a comment on Joey's playing, but an overall observation on the observation itself!!! Grit is where it's at for me…. honest playing.

I wasn't 'dissing' his playing. I guess I should have said that's part of why I liked it. Besides I wasn't listening for any squeaks or squeals, but the over all playing!

You know, I try to be nice here, and all you ever do is respond to me back in a rather harsh manner ... Why is it that you always single me out? What did I ever do to you!? Almost every response in the past that you have said to me, it's always abrasive and/or cheeky. I'm only a beginner here, of course I will make mistakes! Sheesh...
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.