Pipe conservators?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
dean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pipe conservators?

Post by dean »

Hi,

I have just been made aware that a music related organization has obtained a set of pipes. The org has a member who is a piper and knows that the instrument is actually a set of Uilleann pipes. I have never seen the set and likely never will unless I am sent photos. The org and the associated piper do not currently know the age or original maker of the instrument. I was approached to recommend a "conservator" who can evaluate the instrument, make needed repairs or stabilize it and, if possible, make it playable.

So, if we assume for the moment that it is actually an old set, who would you recommend to do the work?

I've only interacted with makers for the purpose of making/maintaining new sets.

All the best,
Dean...K...
Dean Karres
Piper's Hut Concert Series
http://www.pipers-hut.com/concerts
bensdad

Re: Pipe conservators?

Post by bensdad »

K&Q, singly or together.
allan moller

Post by allan moller »

hi,i think you would be hard pushed to find a competent pipe maker who has the time to devote to restoring an old set above filling their own orders.good luck with that.allan.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

allan moller wrote:hi,i think you would be hard pushed to find a competent pipe maker who has the time to devote to restoring an old set above filling their own orders.
Agreed. There isn't much profit in making a new set of pipes and even less in restoring an old set. It's a labour of love.
PJ
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

PJ wrote:
allan moller wrote:hi,i think you would be hard pushed to find a competent pipe maker who has the time to devote to restoring an old set above filling their own orders.
Agreed. There isn't much profit in making a new set of pipes and even less in restoring an old set. It's a labour of love.

I'd love to make or restore a set of Uilleann pipes someday..
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

I think i'd ask Martin Gallen / Banba. I think he restored a Rowsome set for Paddy Keenan not long ago. (i am aware of the fact that just because he did this one set doesn't mean he's up to more :) )
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

ennischanter wrote:
PJ wrote:

I'd love to make or restore a set of Uilleann pipes someday..

My voice of experience would counsel anyone contemplating a carear as a Pipemaker to only do so if you can afford to. After 35 years at it I am still living hand to mouth and facing the bleak prospect of reaching retirement age with no Pension... so no chance of stopping to enjoy those last few years in peace...!! :cry:
Pipewort

Post by Pipewort »

Agreed. There isn't much profit in making a new set of pipes and even less in restoring an old set. It's a labour of love.[/quote]

I'd love to make or restore a set of Uilleann pipes someday..[/quote]

My voice of experience would counsel anyone contemplating a carear as a Pipemaker to only do so if you can afford to. After 35 years at it I am still living hand to mouth and facing the bleak prospect of reaching retirement age with no Pension... so no chance of stopping to enjoy those last few years in peace...!! :cry:[/quote]

Though only a few benefit directly, we bless you for your sacrifice.
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

Pipewort wrote:Agreed. There isn't much profit in making a new set of pipes and even less in restoring an old set. It's a labour of love.

Though only a few benefit directly, we bless you for your sacrifice.[/quote]

Thanks for your blessing Pipewort!

Geoff :)
banbaireland
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by banbaireland »

I'd be up for the job no problem :)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

From everything I hear, Martin did a grand job on Paddy's pipes!

However, if for any reason they/you want to keep the set in the States, Nick Whitmer has been working on restoring a hydra of a Taylor set lately. Not sure how they'd feel about it (haven't asked them), but Tommy Martin is near you; Tim Benson might be another option.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
andyp

Post by andyp »

Geoff,

Understood, but you have a fantastic legacy. I love my B set.

Andy
geoff wooff

Post by geoff wooff »

andyp wrote:Geoff,

Understood, but you have a fantastic legacy. I love my B set.

Andy

That is very gratifying to know Andy. :)
Jumper

Post by Jumper »

Michael Hubbert is a very experienced woodwind instrument restorer, and an impeccable craftsman; a friend of mine had him refurbish an old Alf Kennedy set a few years ago, and was quite happy with the results.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...