3D printed chanter?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

3D printed chanter?

Post by PJ »

Has anyone tried to make a wind instrument (simple flute, whistle, etc) on a 3D printer? From what I've seen, it should be possible. A chanter should also be doable.
PJ
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Re: 3D printed chanter?

Post by oleorezinator »

Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Driftwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Driftwood »

I've started to look at 3D printing for a project I'm working on. The one company I've contacted so far came up with some snags:- dimensional accuracy is unlikely to be greater than 0.5mm and they suggest that walls are kept under 3mm thick to prevent warping or shrinkage as the plastic cools. Later they said that 5mm walls might be ok but even so you would have to build up round the tone holes like on a metal flute and probably additional hollow areas would have to be designed in as well. Maybe other companies can do better..
Hope this helps.
vanfleet
Tell us something.: I play a full set of Seth Gallagher uilleann pipes, have been taking lessons, listening, and practicing since 1983. Teachers have included Bill Ochs, and David Power.

Post by vanfleet »

Chanter hell, how about printed chanter reeds!? Or at least blanks with identical dimensions. If the Pakistanis can make reeds out of yogurt cups . . .

JVF
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

What about 3D printed Drones? :D
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
john

Post by john »

OT: is it true you can make guns with these things? (guns that work, that is)

probably doesn't make much difference to you in the US as you can get them anywhere I've heard, but things are different over here