2.5 years in, and just wondering; am I on the right track?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ImNotIrish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

2.5 years in, and just wondering; am I on the right track?

Post by ImNotIrish »

here's a short clip of my playing at 2.5 years. just curious what is working, and what is not? Any help would be appreciated.
Arbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOpIa81WNhk
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: 2.5 years in, and just wondering; am I on the right track?

Post by rorybbellows »

All things considered I think you're doing great, but what really interests me is, how do you get your hair like that ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

rorybbellows wrote:All things considered I think you're doing great, but what really interests me is, how do you get your hair like that ?

RORY
By playing pipes, of course! :)
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

ImNotIrish wrote:By playing pipes, of course! :)
Well I must be doing something wrong because all its done for my hair is to make it fall out.
On the subject of your hair most people think that dreadlocks were started by rastafarians ,but Irishmen were wearing dreads back in the 13th century . So maybe ImnotIrish is more Irish than he thinks.

A few words about the song the Coolin
"Flood (1906) states it is probable the air dates from the year 1296 or 1297, believing it must have been composed not long after the Statute, 24th of Edward I, in 1295, which forbade those English in Ireland (who were becoming assimilated into the majority Gaelic culture) to affect the Irish hair style by allowing their locks to grow in 'coolins.' The original song, told from a young maiden's point of view, berates those Anglo-Irish who conformed to the edit by cutting their hair, and praises the proud Irishman who remained true to ancestral custom (the Gaelic title "An Chuilfhionn," means 'the fair-haired one'). The Irish Parliament passed another law in 1539 forbidding any male, Irish or Anglo-Irish, from wearing long or flowing locks of hair--this enactment, relates Flood, is the supposed impetus for the claim that Thomas Moore wrote the song and tune of "The Coolin," which was printed by Walker in 1786. "

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
RLines
Tell us something.: Uilleann Piper. Gramophone Enthusiast. Piping Art Collector. Co-chair Pibyddion Uilleann Cymru. Board Member NPU.

Post by RLines »

Nicely played. Well done.

Rick
My Twitter: @FerrysidePiper
My YouTube
Club Twitter: @UilleannCymru
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

rorybbellows wrote:A few words about the song the Coolin
"Flood (1906) states it is probable the air dates from the year 1296 or 1297, believing it must have been composed not long after the Statute, 24th of Edward I, in 1295, which forbade those English in Ireland (who were becoming assimilated into the majority Gaelic culture) to affect the Irish hair style by allowing their locks to grow in 'coolins.' The original song, told from a young maiden's point of view, berates those Anglo-Irish who conformed to the edit by cutting their hair, and praises the proud Irishman who remained true to ancestral custom (the Gaelic title "An Chuilfhionn," means 'the fair-haired one'). The Irish Parliament passed another law in 1539 forbidding any male, Irish or Anglo-Irish, from wearing long or flowing locks of hair--this enactment, relates Flood, is the supposed impetus for the claim that Thomas Moore wrote the song and tune of "The Coolin," which was printed by Walker in 1786. "

RORY
Imaginative wishful thinking from Gratton Flood again, I should think. He doesn't seem to have any evidence for his belief. Still, that never used to stop him, did it?

I love this tune. I'd love to know where it did come from, but I'm not having much luck on the net. I can't even find anywhere claiming to have the "original" words, though this claims to have later ones. - HEALTH WARNING: TURN SOUND OFF BEFORE CLICKING. AWFUL MIDI.

Er ... and sorry for side-tracking, Arbo. :oops:
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Sounding good Arbo. I've heard a slightly different setting and have tried to match it up to 'Good Morning to Your Nightcap'. (Also known as 'The Drunken Police Car')

OT: BenHall, I clicked your link and it has the most gawdawful midi version of that lovely air. . . . :boggle:

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

an seanduine wrote:Sounding good Arbo. I've heard a slightly different setting and have tried to match it up to 'Good Morning to Your Nightcap'. (Also known as 'The Drunken Police Car')

OT: BenHall, I clicked your link and it has the most gawdawful midi version of that lovely air. . . . :boggle:

Bob
I know it does - dreadful, isn't it? Sorry about that, I should have put a health warning up ...
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Long time ago now, I was in the audience at a Liam O’Flynn master class given in the London pipers club. It was mostly the teachers taking the class. Liam would get each piper to play a tune and when finished asked would ask them what they thought was wrong with it. Most of the pipers said they didn’t think anything was wrong with their playing and Liam moved onto the next piper. At the end I think most in attendance were a bit underwhelmed with the class ,expecting some great insight and expert tips about piping from the master. As said somewhere there is no great secret but the point I got from Liam master class was that as long as there is no major flaws in your playing it is your opinion about your playing that is the important one, after all nobody has to listen to your playing more than yourself.
So Arbo is there anything with your playing that you're not happy with?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

rorybbellows wrote:Long time ago now, I was in the audience at a Liam O’Flynn master class given in the London pipers club. It was mostly the teachers taking the class. Liam would get each piper to play a tune and when finished asked would ask them what they thought was wrong with it. Most of the pipers said they didn’t think anything was wrong with their playing and Liam moved onto the next piper. At the end I think most in attendance were a bit underwhelmed with the class ,expecting some great insight and expert tips about piping from the master. As said somewhere there is no great secret but the point I got from Liam master class was that as long as there is no major flaws in your playing it is your opinion about your playing that is the important one, after all nobody has to listen to your playing more than yourself.
So Arbo is there anything with your playing that you're not happy with?

RORY
Fair enough. Yes, too fast on this clip. The E crans could be cleaner, as could the rolls in the B part. It wold also be nice to substitute tight triplets for the rolls in the B part. Steadier rhythm throughout.... I suppose, one of the unstated things about piping is that as you progress you learn better how to evaluate your own playing. Two and a half years isn't very long to be at it, and I am particularly delighted that I can make it through a tune, put in a couple of variations, and basically have it sound somewhat musical. Thank you for the insight!
Arbo
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

A personal thing: I would like to see more nickety-tickety bits. And closure between the notes and phrases. That would make it feel more pipey. Very legato playing on the chanter, to my ear, just comes off as whistle playing...on a chanter.
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
oliver
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by oliver »

That's good. IMHO, rhythm is the thing you should focus on most of all. It's the backbone of the music. But once again that's good.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

tommykleen wrote:A personal thing: I would like to see more nickety-tickety bits. And closure between the notes and phrases. That would make it feel more pipey. Very legato playing on the chanter, to my ear, just comes off as whistle playing...on a chanter.
Yes, I would also like to see that. In time, Tommy. Thanks for the reminder though!
arbo
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

In truth, you are much farther along than I was for a similar amount of time playing!

Hope to see you again at the NE tionol, Arbo. :party: :party: :party:
Tommykleen
Well, don't forget to make music.
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Give those regulators an occasional whack!! They're begging for it.
PJ