2.5 years in, and just wondering; am I on the right track?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
David Lim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: 2.5 years in, and just wondering; am I on the right track?

Post by David Lim »

Nice stuff Arbo.

You could try:
In the 2nd part where you move from A to B and then play a G roll, accent the beginning of the B by cutting it with either your c finger or thumb.
Then slowly introduce more cuts at the beginning of notes according to your style.

Beginning of the 2nd part, def# and you lift the chanter as you move to the f#.
Try playing dgf# where the g is single finger staccato, as a variation.

After trying them, if you don't like it, discard and try something else :)

David
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

One of the main obstacles I have to good tight and "trickity pipity" piping is digital dexterity . For the older pipers among us especially, getting that really tight and defined triplet playing and rhythmically controlled rolls is what is probably the hardest thing to master. Slowing everything down and practising these things in isolation is the best way to get them better.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

tommykleen wrote:In truth, you are much farther along than I was for a similar amount of time playing!

Hope to see you again at the NE tionol, Arbo. :party: :party: :party:
Thank you. I will be at the Tionol. Perhaps we can get together for a tune or two?
Arbo
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

tommykleen wrote:In truth, you are much farther along than I was for a similar amount of time playing!

Hope to see you again at the NE tionol, Arbo. :party: :party: :party:
Thank you. I will be at the Tionol. Perhaps we can get together for a tune or two?
Arbo
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

two & a half years, as in , like, 30 months?? :boggle: wow.

you are my new piping hero Arbo.
you are one focused dude.

& bugger all that rickity-tickity nonsense, "imho"... (not as if im anything special, really, im not) but i say- play it like you feel it & if it doesnt feel right (i.e.: idiomatic) then it isnt, so drop it. & if a tune seems as if it s getting bland, losing its thrust, direction etc...then tart it up a bit with some o all that blingity-bling. ditty boom.

oh, and use your regs. the sooner you get used to these, the better.

oh, and write a tune called "Arbo's Elbow", cause that'd be a cool title. :thumbsup:
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

CHasR wrote:two & a half years, as in , like, 30 months?? :boggle: wow.

& bugger all that rickity-tickity nonsense, "imho"... (not as if im anything special, really, im not) but i say- play it like you feel it & if it doesnt feel right (i.e.: idiomatic) then it isnt, so drop it. & if a tune seems as if it s getting bland, losing its thrust, direction etc...then tart it up a bit with some o all that blingity-bling. ditty boom.

oh, and write a tune called "Arbo's Elbow", cause that'd be a cool title. :thumbsup:
I disagree with this advice. You should learn how to play that "rickity-tickity nonsense" and then be in a position where you can choose when in a tune to play it, or not. Not playing tight triplets and backstitches because you don't think they fit a particular tune, your mood/style, whatever, is one thing. Not playing them because you never learned how is different. And until you become relaxed and proficient at playing certain articulations/ornaments, they won't "feel right." I personally think the tight fingering work is one of the things that distinguishes the sound of the uilleann pipes from that of other instruments. You don't have to go totally wild with it like Patsy Touhey, but you should know how to play it.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

CHasR wrote:two & a half years, as in , like, 30 months?? :boggle: wow.

I rather like the title, 'The CHasR from Aisle 6.' Yes, 30 months (well, I did take a 3day Boot camp initially with Benedict many years ago, before I got frustrated and put them aside!). Thank you..... I know I sound more like a flute/whistle player at the moment, but I am working on changing that up.
Arbo
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

TheSilverSpear wrote:I disagree with this advice. You should learn how to play that "rickity-tickity nonsense" and then be in a position where you can choose when in a tune to play it, or not. Not playing tight triplets and backstitches because you don't think they fit a particular tune, your mood/style, whatever, is one thing. Not playing them because you never learned how is different. And until you become relaxed and proficient at playing certain articulations/ornaments, they won't "feel right." I personally think the tight fingering work is one of the things that distinguishes the sound of the uilleann pipes from that of other instruments. You don't have to go totally wild with it like Patsy Touhey, but you should know how to play it.
mm -hmm Image
my salient point being, that tight piping (or as its been called, rickety-tickety-bada-blingidy-boom piping :D ) is but one spice among many at the players disposal. I think there s too much emphasis on it, to the scale of making UP instruction as rigid as GHB methodology. Its just not the goalpost, from my perspective. Too much tight & ya might as well play Northumbrian. Too little & ya might as well play Biniou. Give me a good old mordent, nachschlag, variable depth vibrato, or trill any day. :wink: But take silver spears advice anyway..., he;s an expert player in touch with the pure drop.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

CHasR wrote: But take silver spears advice .
Yes! that is good advice, and its a bit inconsiderate to advise someone to not bother with an important part of Uilleann piping just because you don't like it. IMHO.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

whatevs :lol:
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

CHasR wrote:whatevs :lol:
Are you a regular on the Gerry springer show.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

darnit. :( busted!

seriously Rory, one of the main draws of the uilleann chanter, musically speaking, is sheer variety of sounds and substantial freedom available from it. If the big guys start hammering beg & int players on "TIGHT TIGHT TIGHT !!!" as the be-all-&-end-all of Uilleann expression, then we all might as well just strap on kilts & do parades. Let peeps get their open-style rocks off until they get bored with it, I say. Then pepper in the triplets, staccato runs, full stops, etc, etc. Roads to Rome & all that. Whatevs. :thumbsup:
& as someone we all know & (sometimes) loved oft said: "play what the feck ye want" :love:
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

Tight playing is the result of closure. And yet, closure does not imply tight playing. C'est absurd!
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steampacket »

"But take silver spears advice anyway..., he;s an expert player in touch with the pure drop." ChasR.

Silver Spear is a lady not a gent - Good piping Arbo :thumbsup:
TheSilverSpear

Post by TheSilverSpear »

"Expert" might be exaggerating things a bit. :)