Duct tape + poppy seeds = chanter fix!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
kidonthemountain
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Multi-instrumentalist based in New England. Want to see what's happening out there in the trad world.

Duct tape + poppy seeds = chanter fix!

Post by kidonthemountain »

After two years of my dainty little fingers slipping and sliding all over my non-scalloped chanter, I have found the solution to covering the holes with a high degree of reliability:

1. Cut a small (1/4"-3/8") square of duct tape and sprinkle 2 or 3 poppy seeds in the center.
2. Stick the tape on the far side of the hole, close to the edge but not covering it.
3. Repeat for all the holes that tend to spring leaks. (For me, that was all of the bottom-hand ones.)

The poppy seeds will provide a tiny bit of tactile feedback/traction, but won't interfere with sealing the holes. Amazing, the difference when leaks are plugged. It was like getting a new chanter.

(This is my first post on this forum, since I realized it was just too pipe-geeky to put on Facebook.)
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Duct tape + poppy seeds = chanter fix!

Post by mke_mick »

Interesting idea! Might want to use something less gummy than duct tape though, which does not age gracefully and whose glue might end up soaking into the grain of the wood more or less permanently. Gaffer's tape or some other "low-tac" tape is probably better.

To be geekier still, 3M gaffer's tape is better than Shur-Tape for your purposes: it's less thick & stiff and will therefore give the desired princess/pea effect. :-)

Cheers,
Mick
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

I suppose this is OK as a temporary measure - training wheels, as it were.

But it seems to me that, barring nerve damage or another physical problem, with proper finger pressure and position you should be able to feel the holes without the pips, and maybe some hand lotion to soften and condition the skin. Plenty of pipers successfully play non-scalloped chanters. And if you also play flute, I'd think your tactile sense is already developed.

Once you're confident that you can seal the holes consistently, I would bin the pips ASAP if I were you.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
mke_mick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mke_mick »

The OP can speak for himself, but the way I read it, the whole point of the exercise is indeed just to train his fingers, and the tape/seed rig is strictly temporary.

Personally, I've (mostly) overcome the same problem playing my non-scalloped-holed C chanter, by simply shifting my right-hand fingers upwards whenever I squeak. Sure enough, I "find the holes" better every time I play.

But I can respect other players' trying different ways to get to the same place. What better asset can a piper have than the ability to solve problems creatively?

Having said that, we should point out that duct-tape training wheels are much preferable to DIY scalloping, which I've heard of beginners "retrofitting" their chanter with. (The effect of which being, of course, to completely screw up tuning: scalloped chanters have to be designed that way. :-) )

Regards,
Mick
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

I'm sure I saw a David Quinn chanter with pips fitted above and below each hole. I tryed google images but coundn't find it.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

rorybbellows wrote:I'm sure I saw a David Quinn chanter with pips fitted above and below each hole.
Fitted by DQ, or added on by a player, do you think?

CHasR

Post by CHasR »

MTGuru wrote:I suppose this is OK as a temporary measure - training wheels, as it were.

But it seems to me that, barring nerve damage or another physical problem, with proper finger pressure and position you should be able to feel the holes without the pips, and maybe some hand lotion to soften and condition the skin. Plenty of pipers successfully play non-scalloped chanters. And if you also play flute, I'd think your tactile sense is already developed.

Once you're confident that you can seal the holes consistently, I would bin the pips ASAP if I were you.
I agree with you MTG and will go one further: I think poppyseeds & duct tape are a really bad idea. sorry. :(
you will only have to unlearn all you did with the fixes, then re learn once you lose them. Superficially, considering your description, it seems to me you'd have better progress adjusting your hand position. But no one's ever yet hammered a nail over the internet. dont give up. :thumbsup:
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumper »

I have seen an image of a Koehler & Quinn B chanter with tiny black "guide bumps" above and below the tone holes for the lower hand, placed by the makers. My (possibly faulty) recollection is that these were to address the needs of a customer who had suffered some nerve damage to that hand.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Lorenzo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lorenzo »

This may be the chanter you're thinking of - the B chanter BK made for Tom Kennedy...who had nerve damage in his finger.
kidonthemountain
Tell us something.: Multi-instrumentalist based in New England. Want to see what's happening out there in the trad world.

Post by kidonthemountain »

Thanks for the replies, everyone -- and Mick especially for the suggestion on angling the fingers upwards. I've done lots of slow practice and experimented with moving my fingers up and down, forwards and backwards to find the "sweet spot" for perfect hole coverage, but I hadn't thought about the angle at which the fingers cross the chanter. Hopefully the pips will be enough of a prompt to correct my hand position to the point where muscle memory will take over, and I will then restore my chanter to a state that no longer looks like a poppyseed breadstick wrapped in black plastic.

Oddly enough, these issues of finger placement completely disappear when I play scalloped chanters. I find them far more comfortable, though I'm well aware they're not to everyone's liking.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I play a scalloped-tonehole D chanter, and when I first got my C# non-scalloped chanter I resorted to gaffer-tape "blocks" on either side of the lower RH toneholes. I just wrapped the tape around and around the chanter to create little "finger corrals" around the problem holes.

Worked a treat and after about two weeks I didn't need the tape anymore. I had no problem moving to a C chanter (also not scalloped), either. (Though I do break out the Bag Balm much more often for that one)

The only thing I wonder about is poppy seeds and critters like mice :shock: :D

But huzzah! I'm glad it works. I would, however, agree with the others about not using duct tape ... especially with summer coming on.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cathy Wilde wrote:The only thing I wonder about is poppy seeds and critters like mice :shock: :D
Probably still better than Brian Finnegan's infamous de-keyed flute, with the extra holes plugged with raisins. :boggle: