The most recognisable sound of Uilleann pipes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

The most recognisable sound of Uilleann pipes

Post by rorybbellows »

I've heard it said that many pipers got into playing the pipes after hearing Davy Spillane play during River dance or some say after hearing the piping in the Titanic movie, some after hearing either Paddy Keenan or Liam O'Flynn playing in groups or Solo. All the above pipers play concert pitch pipes. So I would safely say that concert pitch pipes are the most commonly heard pipes by pipers and non-pipers and because of this would you say that ,the concert pitch pipes are most recognisable sound of the Uilleann pipes and because of that, the concert pitch pipes IS the sound of Uilleann pipes and flat pitched pipes are just an esoteric relic from the past.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
ennischanter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Re: The most recognisable sound of Uilleann pipes

Post by ennischanter »

Ah, but one of the most viewed uilleann pipe videos on YouTube, are of Seamus Ennis playing a Slow Air.... :D

You can also hear a B Chanter in the Titanic Theme.. :wink:
Last edited by ennischanter on Sun May 26, 2013 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Except there's no way Ennis could have played a slow "aire" because such a thing does not exist.

he does, however, play a slow air.
ennischanter
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Post by ennischanter »

Sure...
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

NicoMoreno wrote:Except there's no way Ennis could have played a slow "aire" because such a thing does not exist.
Sometimes though I think it's a shame that aire is not correct. Because "slow air" does sound like we're talking about a leaking tire - or bag. :P
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

The first time I heard a set of uilleann pipes (knowing it was uilleann pipes) was a flat set in C.
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

rorybbellows wrote:....concert pitch pipes are most recognisable sound of the Uilleann pipes....

RORY
For me they are/were.

My introduction to Uilleann pipes came from David Arkenstone's CD "The Celtic Book of Days" released in 1998. The piper was Eric Rigler. Having played oboe in the school symphony, my ears said it was a double-reed instrument, however the expressiveness was like nothing I had heard before.
Reading liner notes didn't mean much then and information about Uilleann pipes on the internet back then was sketchy.
Certainly not traditional, Arkenstone's use of Uilleann pipes was tuned for my musical taste.
Here are some YouTube videos from that album, featuring Eric Rigler...

Stormcry
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-WCan1wYLg

Behind Walls of Stone
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma9dtj4I_oM

The Dragon's Breath
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0tdt0oVQkA
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

rorybbellows wrote:I've heard it said that many pipers got into playing the pipes after hearing Davy Spillane play during River dance or some say after hearing the piping in the Titanic movie, some after hearing either Paddy Keenan or Liam O'Flynn playing in groups or Solo. All the above pipers play concert pitch pipes. So I would safely say that concert pitch pipes are the most commonly heard pipes by pipers and non-pipers and because of this would you say that ,the concert pitch pipes are most recognisable sound of the Uilleann pipes and because of that, the concert pitch pipes IS the sound of Uilleann pipes and flat pitched pipes are just an esoteric relic from the past.

RORY
To me that's like saying concert pitch flutes are "the definitive" sound.. which is to be honest, baloney. The average non ITM-savvy person can't hear the difference between a B and D set anyway..
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

One of the reasons why piping nearly died in first half of the twenth century is that flat pitch piping is a stagnant art form and all art forms that dont progress die.Thankfully a few thing happened in the second half of the century ,the formation of NPU,the leap forward in development of concert pitch pipes and the recognition of Leo Rowsomes playing on the concert pitch pipes . With that, players like Johnny Doran and after Leo players like Paddy Maloney and Liam O'Flynn brought on the the progress of different styles ,up to modern day players like Davy Spillane,Barry Kerr and Micheal McGoldrick have kept the progress in motion. It has been concert pitch players and pipes that have spearheaded the resurgence in the popularity of Uilleann pipes and flat pitched pipes have been carried along in the wake of that popularity.
The future of piping is concert pitch pipes and unless someone does something new with flat pipes they will go the way of the dodo.
RORY
I'm Spartacus .
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

NicoMoreno wrote:Except there's no way Ennis could have played a slow "aire" because such a thing does not exist.

he does, however, play a slow air.
aire
Noun
Obsolete spelling of air.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aire#Noun
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

Citation needed.

There's no other source to be found for that, and no source listed on the page...
uillmann

Post by uillmann »

http://lostinthecloud.files.wordpress.c ... s-aire.gif

This amusing composition is, however, of dubious musicality.
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Here the "aire" conversation has already come up. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=65865
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

NicoMoreno wrote:Citation needed.

There's no other source to be found for that, and no source listed on the page...
Ok
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

Mr_Blackwood wrote: To me that's like saying concert pitch flutes are "the definitive" sound.. which is to be honest, baloney. The average non ITM-savvy person can't hear the difference between a B and D set anyway..
I dont know enough about flutes to have an opinion about that,but I think concert pitch and flat pitch pipes could nearly be considered different instruments in much the same way as clarinet is to saxophone,and just to clarify what we're talking about here is the old style flat pitched pipes or union pipes and not the modern style flat pipes. I think it was Ken McLeod who first pointed out that they should be classed differently(union pipes v flat pipes).

RORY
I'm Spartacus .