Estate Auction Pipes - with pictures

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Jeff Cullen
antispam: No

Re: Estate Auction Pipes - with pictures

Post by Jeff Cullen »

Another of those "old days" makers was Brennan (c. WWI). I had a complete 4-reg Brennan set in the Taylor style and I took a lot of detailed photos and Nick Whitmer did a complete measurement of the set. I can make all of those available to anyone who has a need or desire.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
Jumper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumper »

Is the all-metal chanter aluminum? It looks like it from the photos, much bluer than the warmer color of the nickel-silver keywork. If it's aluminum, it's most likely 20th century work patterned on an earlier Taylor chanter, as aluminum was quite an exotic and costly material at the time the Taylors were working. Until it began being produced on a commercial basis towards the end of the 1880s, aluminum cost as much per ounce as a worker could earn in a day.
Jonathan

Help, Help! I'm being repressed...
Kevin L. Rietmann

Post by Kevin L. Rietmann »

Cast aluminum would also explain the mystery of how in God's name they made that thing. I was trying to wrap my head around the idea of how they could solder chimneys in between interior and exterior pieces made out of sheet, which would be daunting enough; but how to fashion the key block shapes on this thing...the bass and double bass regs Taylors made out of metal are a lot simpler if you think about it - simple cones with chimneys soldered on top. But you're right, in all likelihood this thing was simply cast. Probably would've cost an arm and a leg for a one-off but Taylors weren't shy about big budget items.
tompipes
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by tompipes »

Cast aluminum would also explain the mystery of how in God's name they made that thing.
It could have been machined from a solid piece too.
I remember in the late 80's, Desi Seery made an aluminium chanter for Eoin Kenny. He made it using his usual process of step drilling, reaming, filing, sanding etc. Although he did say he ruined 3 or 4 reamers in the process. So it can be done.

I've seen a Taylor style double chanter from some time in the early 1900's that's either made from a silver alloy or highly polished aluminium. It's looks to be machined buy it could have been rough cast and then machined.

I wouldn't put anything past those Taylor lads.

Tommy
glands

Post by glands »

sean an piobaire wrote:Hello Seth !

The Main Thing is, my Pipes Sound Good and That Does make for a certain amount of Happiness, Bagpipe-wise.
The truth of the matter is.....Sean could make a dead goat with a blade of grass in its mouth sound good...just sayin'....we've seen it before....or nearly so.
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

Kevin L. Rietmann wrote:Cast aluminum would also explain the mystery of how in God's name they made that thing. I was trying to wrap my head around the idea of how they could solder chimneys in between interior and exterior pieces made out of sheet, which would be daunting enough; but how to fashion the key block shapes on this thing...the bass and double bass regs Taylors made out of metal are a lot simpler if you think about it - simple cones with chimneys soldered on top. But you're right, in all likelihood this thing was simply cast. Probably would've cost an arm and a leg for a one-off but Taylors weren't shy about big budget items.

Let me post some really upclose pictures and we can chat about it in more detail. I looked at the piece very closely the other day and I think I see tooling marks but I'd like to sit down with it and a magnifying glass and take a closer look. The bore looks really smooth but I'm going to get a flashlight along with the magnifying glass and have a closer look. I'm excited to measure this bore and I am going to use round probes as their is no reason that the metal has any ovality to is and a split ball guage has confirmed that although I really didn't need to confirm that the metal hasn't moved much or any. Pics to come.... Seth
Cheers, Seth Hamon
http://Hamonbagpipes.com
Doogie

Post by Doogie »

A few folks have asked me to let them know when I plan to sell certain pieces of the lot that I received. Since I can't go through and re-read all the emails and PM's I received then I will just post here. I have received an offer on the two flat chanters, non Taylor style chanters, that can be seen in the photo's in this thread. If anyone is interested let me know as I'm taking offers on both of the flat chanters as is, or with the black one with the missing keys added. Thanks, Seth
Cheers, Seth Hamon
http://Hamonbagpipes.com