Improvisation.

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
ennischanter
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: If you flush your toilet 7 times whilst lilting "The Bucks of Oranmore", an apparition of one of the great pipers of old will appear in the mirror, you will be blessed with good reeds, but cursed with bad bags and bellows.

Improvisation.

Post by ennischanter »

Has anybody tried, seen, or heard improvisation of Jigs, reels, hornpipes, aires, etc on the Uilleann pipes?

I think it seems like a great instrument to do it on.
We musicians are enemies by disposition, so treat every musician you happen to meet, accordingly.

Tradition is not the worship of ashes but the preservation of the flame.
MTGuru

Re: Improvisation.

Post by MTGuru »

I don't really understand the question.

Improvisation of variations is a fundamental, integral part of playing both the dance forms and airs (not aires) that you cite. Most good players seldom play a tune the same way twice through. So the question is more: Has anybody not etc. :wink:

If by improv you mean jazz-style soloing over a chord progression, that doesn't really apply. Because in a monophonic tradition like Irish trad, there's no inherent chord progression. If you're free-form soloing over an imagined progression, or even an actual accompaniment, to the point that you're not playing the core melody of a tune, then you're simply not playing the tune. You're playing something else.

Can you improvise your own jigs, reels etc. on the fly? Sure, some can. That's one way that new tunes are born, on pipes or any other instrument.

Can you play jazz improv on the pipes? Sure, why not, within the diatonic limitations of the instrument or your fingering. But that's not jigs, reels etc., so that doesn't seem to be the question either.

There's a fairly well-known recording of someone playing 12-bar blues on the pipes, but my memory banks fail me.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
unregulated

Post by unregulated »

not pipes but is this the kind thing you mean -
‪the excellent Cormac Breatnach‬
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... SzMaImV38Q#!

and also the fiddler Tommy Potts -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brLK3fj8QTQ

piper Hmmm give Johnny Doran a try.
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

awhwhh...!!!! those Jazz guys are just makin' it all up anyway.

The Doran suggestion is bullseye though. :wink:
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:There's a fairly well-known recording of someone playing 12-bar blues on the pipes, but my memory banks fail me.
Ah, it's Jerry O'Sullivan I'm thinking of: Noel McCarthy's Jig from his "The Gift" album, track 7. But it's clearly a composed tune in the style of a blues jam, not an improv. A couple of YouTubers attempted to cover it, e.g.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELJvceMUR44

Similarly with the tune "Clear Blue Sky" from the same album (track 9). The arrangement is classic jazz trio (piano, bass, drums) plus pipes lead (as opposed to lead pipes). But the pipes just play the head both in and out, and not improv choruses.

benwalker
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by benwalker »

Jazz on Uilleann pipes sounds as good as bluegrass on trombone :-?
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
CHasR

beauty;s in the eye of the behol....naaaah.

Post by CHasR »

benwalker wrote:Jazz on Uilleann pipes sounds as good as bluegrass on trombone :-?
...where do I start with this MTGuru????? :twisted:

<sigh> No, no.... it's...just too late, GMT+6 & all that. :(
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

IMHO, pipes are great at what they were made for and crap at pretty much everything else.
PJ
MTGuru

Re: beauty;s in the eye of the behol....naaaah.

Post by MTGuru »

CHasR wrote:
benwalker wrote:Jazz on Uilleann pipes sounds as good as bluegrass on trombone :-?
Hey, don't blame me. Credit to benwalker where credit's due!
CHasR wrote:<sigh> No, no.... it's...just too late, GMT+6 & all that. :(
So you're in, like, Irkutsk? :o

oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

CHasR wrote:

<sigh> No, no.... it's...just too late, GMT+6 & all that. :(
Here we go again. If Rufus Harley did it with only 9 diatonic notes.
Think of what he could have done with an instrument
that has 2 octaves and is fully chromatic.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zvRV9DS ... ata_player
Scroll to 5:25 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnvAu3C0 ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmaicurz ... ata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HYMwRtJ ... ata_player
In this case you're limited only by your own concept and musicality.
Rufus wasn't subject to the notions and strictures of music outside of Jazz.
Last edited by oleorezinator on Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Anyone can play any type of music they want on any instrument they want, if they can find a way to do it. I don't think the instrument is what makes it possible/impossible, but that rather falls on the individual player how well it will turn out. A fully keyed chanter really offers a lot of possibilities with what range it does have, and I would not say it's restricted from playing jazz. Depending on what the piper is wanting to play. Also, just becuase one or two guys might have tried it and failed horribly, does not mean that's how it's going to turn out in every case of it being attempted.

Bluegrass on the trombone? Well, if somebody can find a way to do it, and wants to do it, no problem with that. Although, bluegrass is more of a traditionally rooted style. I think implementing any instrument in jazz would be even less extreme than the bluegrass on trombone, because jazz tends to lend itself well to new innovations in instruments, due to the nature of what jazz is. I think a group of people playing jazz would be a lot less restrictive on what instruments they would disallow.

I have no problems with hearing uilleann pipes in other genres of music, just as I am sure many people have no problem with many of the instruments within irish trad having come out of other styles and other lands.

I never heard any jazz fans complain about tenor banjo being used in irish trad (not saying they haven't), but perhaps it's a fair swap . :wink:
Thomas Wiedemeier
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Thomas Wiedemeier »

ennischanter wrote:Has anybody tried, seen, or heard improvisation of Jigs, reels, hornpipes, aires, etc on the Uilleann pipes?
I played some modern free improvised music for a while. That worked, but not really well. As long as the Center of Gravity was around d it was nice, but when other Group members moved to another key the pipes sound more or less wrong. Hmmm, O.K. there is no “wrong” in this type of music, but it sounds like crap to me.

improvisation of Jigs, reels, hornpipes? Somtimes when I totally loose the tune, I play whatever comes in mind. Nobody really notices, except some friend who know how I use to play the tunes I play. Great Fun sometimes!

Thomas
sapere aude
tommykleen
Tell us something.: I am interested in the uilleann pipes and their typical -and broader- use. I have been composing and arranging for the instrument lately. I enjoy unusual harmonic combinations on the pipes. I use the pipes to play music of other cultures.

Post by tommykleen »

I have heard that the heart of good piping is variation. Perhaps that is the UP form of improv in its most widely accepted (?). There is, of course, a line where the variation clearly crosses over into the territory of terra improva. I leave that to others to decide where these two lands lie.

T
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Rufus Harvey - I hadn't noticed he played left-handed. That's rare.
PJ
bogman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by bogman »

oleorezinator wrote:If Rufus Harley did it with only 9 diatonic notes.
Think of what he could have done with an instrument
that has 2 octaves and is fully chromatic.
I'm sorry but the Rufus Harley stuff if dire, a total abomination of the highland pipes. Absolutely awful.

The Uilleann pipes are very limited for soloing as they have no dynamics, the Highland pipes are even more limited as they only have 9 - 11 notes, the tone in continuous AND they have no dynamics. Pipes are great at what they do, guitars are crap at what pipes do.