Reed makers...Am I paying attention to the right Reed stuff?

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
bobkeenan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Reed makers...Am I paying attention to the right Reed stuff?

Post by bobkeenan »

I am on reed number 10 now. And its pretty good I think. I find that I am learning with each reed that I make. So I thought that I would created a database of the reeds and their different materials and measurements and then post them on my site here:

http://uilleannpipesbeginner.wordpress. ... -9-and-10/

I would appreciated it if there are other things that I should be paying attention to as I continue to learn from making reeds.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Reed makers...Am I paying attention to the right Reed stuff?

Post by Brian Lee »

Remember that measurements are the pipers code...more guidelines than hard fast rules. The cane itself will dictate what final shapes and dimensions will afford the best tuning and tone. You mentioned polishing the interior of your slips - this can certainly help keep the tone bright, particularly with softer cane. I've used automotive wet/dry type sandpaper in the 1000-3500 grit range for this purpose.

One of the greatest temptations when beginning reed making is to work the new reed till it sounds perfect right out of the gate. A little patience here will serve well. If the reed was playing perfectly last night, and not the next day, it's either over worked, or it needs a bit more rest and playing in before any destructive methods (sanding, chopping the lips etc) are performed. It could be something as simple as a bridle adjustment, or a slight change in humidity for example. But it takes a little time for most reeds to settle in and find their voice. If you've been playing a particular reed for a week or three and still don't like it's tuning/tone (but you feel it's close) then perhaps a more aggressive adjustment may afford the results you're after.

Hope that helps some...