pipers pastimes

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

pipers pastimes

Post by rorybbellows »

Apart from piping what other hobbies do you have ? Some pipers I know are involved in gardening as I am ,I also do alot of kayaking.What hobbies do you have?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Steampacket
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: pipers pastimes

Post by Steampacket »

Always been interested in motors and have a Mini Cooper S, and a Harley Springer Softail, '60's hippy style, lowered, apehangers, bobbed, which I ride when I get the chance. I also practice iaido (the art of handling a Japanese samurai sword). Playing the flute, films, books, old Gibson & Fender guitars, old English cars & motorbikes,such as MG's, Rovers, Velocettes, Brough Superiors, Mac computors, WWI & WWII, Vietnam :)
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

I eat a lot of chocolate... Other times I'm a jazz saxophonist and educator. Sometimes I enjoy fine malt whisky( in moderation of course)
I'm a big fan of vintage saxophones and like to tinker a bit with them... Also I suffer greatly from GAD! And am always trawling eBay for a bargin :)))
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org
Steve Turner

Post by Steve Turner »

For me its learning the fiddle (Irish and Cajun), amateur radio, reading and reedmaking. I don't get nearly anywhere near the time I would like to do all these things though.
m muir

Post by m muir »

Scottish Smallpipes and soccer are my other passions......... when time allows!
otsaku

Post by otsaku »

photography, cooking, old vw bugs and busses and trying to avoid any form of work no matter how well paid :)
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

I enjoy cooking, reading and I have a great interest in drink. Mostly I'm deep down in the worlds och whisk(e)y and beer of different varieties (northern and eastern highland scotch whiskies and strange types of belgian beers for example), but I also take great delight in wine, specifically from the classic wine countries, Italy, France and Spain (not too fond of the direction that has been taken in the last few decades in the new world, with their extremely easily drinkable and none too seldom simple and one dimensional, high alcohol fruit bombs), some bourbons and fine rum. When the chance appears I never pass on the opportunity to have a glass of good sherry or port.

Beyond poisoning myself and indulging in good food, I do work out quite a bit. Especially running although it's too bloody cold to do that now. And of course I play other instruments and other types of music, mainly swedish traditional music and different types of heavy metal. On occasion, I also try to fool myself and the people around me, and pretend I can play some jazz as well, although I really can't.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din
An Draighean

Post by An Draighean »

Old motorbikes (Indians mostly), amateur radio, four-wheel-drive trucks, anything mechanical. Used to play harmonica in a blues band, but I haven't touched any of the other instruments I play since taking up the pipes.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Pipe making (mostly sackpipas), playing french pipes, fishing (flyfishing and all methods I can use to reach fish), european comic books (bande dessinée)...I'll stop here but a lot of other things have interest for me.
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

Cool thread! Aside from pipes and reeds.... martial arts (Brazilian jiu-jitsu, etc.), training hard, juicing (the actual juicing, not steroid:-), and keeping up the skills on the other instruments (concertina, banjo, flute, guitar) which in itself, fills my days.

...hmmm upon re-reading this, I'm surprized I have time for just 1 of those items....

:shock:
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
PadraigMI

Post by PadraigMI »

Bird watching, bird dogs, beach combing and filmmaking.
Depends on the season.
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

I still play the pipes daily, but two years ago I bought my first sailboat and sailing has become a second passion. This past fall I jumped further into the sailing world and purchased Magy Mae, pictured below:

I suppose piping and sailing both involve wind. Life is good on days when I can both play some tunes and go sailing.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

gorgeous wee boat!!! loads of work, owning such a vessel!
Give a man a wooden reed and he'll play in the driest of weather,
Teach a man to make a wooden reed,
and the both of ye will go insane!
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

Thanks Brazen. Yes, maintenance is necessary. I tend to not bother with cosmetic maintenance as it is time I could spend sailing or playing pipes.

Any other sailing pipers out there? I know Chris Langan was a sailing piper. Now that I think of it, did I hear somewhere that Eugene Lambe has a Galway Hooker?
Gregory Graham
Toronto
benwalker

Post by benwalker »

I don't think Mr Lamb would be too pleased to have his private life outed here! :tomato:
Sippin water of a spoon

www.benwalker.org