Season of goodwill

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Season of goodwill

Post by Uilliam »

Heres a nice wee story to end the year on.
This Friday past I was asked to play the pipes and fly the Tri Colour at a funeral service for an old Fenian..I did this at the church and then we went to the crematorium.I wasn't sure what I was supposed to do there so I bought the flag and the pipes in with me.I placed the pipes down in a corner,as it happens there was background music playing so I just did the flag bit.As we left the chapel there was rather a large crowd of mourners for the next customer.Some of them gave me rather hostile looks and I thought it must be grief.It was only as I was driving away that I saw them put on their Orange Order Sashes.That was considerate of them and it also explained the worried looks on the undertakers faces.
All passed well.
A few hours later when I got home I opened the car boot...no pipes...I had left them at the crem...back I went fearing the worst.
When I got there the funeral in progress was a full blown Salvation Army affair with brass band flags etc etc...I had to get in there quick before they did .To my utter relief the assistant told me that the pipes were safe in a side room.
The whole thing seemed surreal to me as I drove home but I couldn't help thinking that perhaps some kind wee soul in the Orange Order found them and handed them in.Thats what I like to think and God Bless whoever it was. :wink:
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
PJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Re: Season of goodwill

Post by PJ »

Good to hear all ended well.

It reminds me of the story of the guy who left his highland pipes in full view on the back seat of his car in a rough part of town. He came back later to find the rear window had been smashed and TWO sets of highland pipes on the back seat of his car.
PJ
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Uilliam

Well the Orange lodge should be ok with the union pipes. :lol: :lol:

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

I'm very happy that things ended the way they did! Happy New Year.