Problems communicating and dealing with Richard Patkos

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
dunnp
antispam: No

Problems communicating and dealing with Richard Patkos

Post by dunnp »

Can I start this topic by saying I am a really kind and patient person and it really bothers me to have to post this publicly, but I feel I have to as Richard refuses to reply to my communications via pm here or on facebook.

I had reservations about dealing with Richard because of this previous thread:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=74429&hilit=patkos

But I had heard good things about his work. I got a c chanter second hand. The chanter stop key and two keys were leaking. I wanted to have a little tenor drone to practice with so I enquired about having this done.

Richard said send the chanter to refurbish as well and he'd make me up the little drone. He said he could do this very quick. I fully expected longer than he gave me as a time frame.
The main issue I have is not responding to communications.
I am not badgering him. I wait weeks between messages. Nearly a month ago he said my chanter and drone are ready. Than nothing no tracking number, no chanter, no response to messages. I sent a message saying dont worry about it if you need more time if you are away playing festivals, no problem, just let me know and be honest.

I have since contacted previous customers, and a current customer all having the same issue.
The advice I have recieved has been the same, be vocal, let others know. That is the only way to get this maker to respond and send your items.

I was planning to have the rest of the set built up around this chanter as I really like it but this "test " run leaves me with nothing but doubt.
an seanduine

Re: Problems communicating and dealing with Richard Patkos

Post by an seanduine »

So I guess the takeaway here is that one should have a long spoon. . .or at the very least a great deal of patience.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Lars Larry Mór Mott
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Lars Larry Mór Mott »

I have (had, i sold the chanter to a friend) the same issues. Communication plain stopped, it's as the man died (which i know he didn't, unless someone is posting on Facebook using his name/account)
He still owes me a reed, ordered and payed for. I too had plans to build a set piece by piece from him, but at this rate i might as well order from Joe Kennedy and actually get the stuff.
the artist formerly known as Mr_Blackwood
madfortrad

Post by madfortrad »

pipe-makers and the internet are never a good thing. :D

Ive had my share of trouble
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

I have recieved a reply and my items are on the way according to Richard.
He apologised and reports hes been travelling.

I think the main importance of this situation is positive communication skills.
When one sees pm after pm out of their outbox but no reply one feels they are being ignored.
In my messages (like I said not badgering their were only a few) I stressed to Richard it is not the time the work took and I understand the pressures of travel and playing festivals (believe me I do) on instrument makers but the simple fact of no reply. If he had simply said I will be away alot soon, may take me a bit of time. I would not have been concerned in the slightest.

I have to say I hate being a PIAP (pain on the arse person) as my family calls it and it is really out of character for me. I have never recieved a handmade instrument in the time frame promised from a great maker. I normally just let them get on with it and understand answering emails takes time away from work.

In this case I got a message saying everything is done you will have it soon, and then silence for a month.
I will report on the final outcome. I must also stress I really like the tone of the chanter hence my distress at not havng it for a couple of months.

also check out the new pics of Michele's set
ImNotIrish
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ImNotIrish »

dunnp wrote:I have recieved a reply and my items are on the way according to Richard.
He apologised and reports hes been travelling.

I think the main importance of this situation is positive communication skills.
When one sees pm after pm out of their outbox but no reply one feels they are being ignored.
In my messages (like I said not badgering their were only a few) I stressed to Richard it is not the time the work took and I understand the pressures of travel and playing festivals (believe me I do) on instrument makers but the simple fact of no reply. If he had simply said I will be away alot soon, may take me a bit of time. I would not have been concerned in the slightest.

I have to say I hate being a PIAP (pain on the arse person) as my family calls it and it is really out of character for me. I have never recieved a handmade instrument in the time frame promised from a great maker. I normally just let them get on with it and understand answering emails takes time away from work.

In this case I got a message saying everything is done you will have it soon, and then silence for a month.
I will report on the final outcome. I must also stress I really like the tone of the chanter hence my distress at not havng it for a couple of months.

also check out the new pics of Michele's set

I am glad you got things resolved. Sounds like a nightmare. Stories like this just make me appreciate makers like Nick Whitmer who is making me a set of pipes at the moment (see thread on this board). I have had regular communication from Nick and pictures of the various work in progress. I think Nick sets a fine example as a maker.
Arbo
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

I don't know why ye are apologising or feeling guilty about being a pain in the aerse.Its not unreasonable to expect communication with a maker.It is a business transaction after all said and done.If a person wants to make and sell pipes then that person has to play fair with the customer.Or guess whit? The customer fecks aff and rightly so.

peace to ye all.
uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
dunnp

Post by dunnp »

Well my pipes arrived and Richard did exactly as I asked. Lovely work. He also included a new reed at no extra cost and rebound two non working reeds and got them going again. He did this all for an very very fair price.
I now have my "Wee C" set going as I wanted.
Something I can bring into work and carry around easily enough (I work in an autism unit, music is a big part of my job).

Thank You Richard,

My only advice is to improve communication. I would never have posted this had I gotten a two second PM saying,
"Gonna be a while longer."

Uilliam, I know its just not me. I always let makers just get on with it.

Take Care

pics in Pics of pipes thread
Jäger

Post by Jäger »

Good to hear that things worked out, as I might go down that road later on (I'm the friend who bought Mr Blackwood's C chanter, great stick, by the way!) and get at least a half set. Hope he learns from this, and that you've told him and given him a chance to.
Fye now Johnnie, get up and rin
The hieland bagpipes make a din