Uilleann pipe stickers

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Ceann Cromtha
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m changing my location to my actual address. My previous location was a reference to Joyce’s Finnegans Wake.

Re: Uilleann pipe stickers

Post by Ceann Cromtha »

NicoMoreno wrote:
maki wrote:
rgouette wrote: "Chillin with the Uilleanns"
That's my favorite.
It's actually a really bad one because uilleann in this case is an adjective, not a noun... The sticker would mean you're hanging out with elbows. People in the know call them uilleann pipes or pipes, never uilleanns. Similarly, people in the know don't ever spell it aire... that's not a word. Air is the correct spelling.

I really like "My other car is a flat set".
I am aware of the objections summed up by experts like Kieran O'Hare in his short NPU journal article on the questionable use of 'uilleanns' when referring to our beloved instrument but I am confused by the logic of your response.

Firstly, neither 'uilleann' nor 'elbow' are adjectives -- syntactically and semantically they function as descriptors like adjectives but morphologically they are nouns.

Secondly (and ignoring the first point), using your logic would likewise prescribe dropping the term 'piano' which comes from the Italian 'soft', which is a bona fide adjective since it passes the test of being capable of forming a comparative degree 'softer' and superlative degree 'softest'. (The full name 'piano-forte' was given because the "striking-the-string-with-a-hammer" instrument had a dynamic range vis-a-vis the "plucking-the-string-with-a-quill" harpsichord.) Your prescription would likewise prohibit us from using terms like 'bass' or 'blues' in describing, say, the main instrument Geddy Lee plays or, say, the style of music played and composed by Robert Johnson.

Lastly, do you not think that some poetic license is warranted here since we are talking about a catchy phase to be inserted on a case or bumper sticker? Jim Morrison violated grammatical rules in when he wrote, "I'm gonna love you till the stars fall from the sky for you and I (it should be objective case 'me')" but that doesn't sound very good, does it?

I think "Chillin' with the Uilleanns" is boss. :thumbsup:
rorybbellows
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by rorybbellows »

Ceann Cromtha wrote: Lastly, do you not think that some poetic license is warranted here since we are talking about a catchy phase to be inserted on a case or bumper sticker?
Yes indeedy ! theres always a pedantophile who wants to spoil the party.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Many of the suggestions are just too long/wordy... bumper stickers need to be short and to the point... with any more than a few words of text, a small font would have to be used, and nobody could read it from normal distances (given an ordinary size bumper sticker). Most bumper stickers are one to five words for that reason. One of the longest bumper stickers I usually see has five short words "keep calm and carry on".

T-shirts are another matter and I've seen them with dozens of lines of text.

BTW "loud pipes save lives" has been made for many years in bumper stickers and t-shirts etc in the Highland pipe community.

One of the best stickers I've seen was on the pipe case of a Highland piper. It was some industrial workplace sticker that said WARNING PRODUCES HAZARDOUS NOISE.

Too long for a bumper sticker perhaps but I'd like a shirt that said

what part of uilleann don't you understand?

or

Uilleann pipes... if I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand (borrowed from a Harley Davidson shirt)

Yes UP = Upper Penninsula. I've seen shirts that have Say 'ya' from da UP, eh?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Anyone seen the cartoon of the hunchback running around with his hands covering his ears shouting 'The Pipes, The Pipes!!' ?

That would work.
My brain hurts

rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

I've heard it said before that you can never come up with anything new regarding Uilleann pipes. It seems theres no shortage of Uilleann pipe related stickers, tee shirts and other paraphernalia on the market. I guess I'll just have to make my fortune somewhere else

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
Denny

Post by Denny »

CAUTION:
BAG UNDER PRESSURE
Picture a bright blue ball just spinning, spinning free
It's dizzying, the possibilities. Ashes, Ashes all fall down.
WJC

Post by WJC »

I've read some articles in The Piper's Review and I always enjoy the recaps of Tionols and other piper-ish weekends. I like when the articles mention all the food that was consumed during the event... the various spreads and BBQ's and what not. Now, I've never been to a Tionol, but I picture it's about 10% piping, and the rest of the event is food orgies and vomitoriums... so how about:

Yeah, I'm a Piper... WHERE'S THE CHEESE TABLE?
the_nyyaaa

Uilleann pipe stickers

Post by the_nyyaaa »

[ Zombie thread. - Mod ]
Mr_Blackwood wrote:To borrow from the Harley community - "Loud pipes save lifes" :)
i just went and bought a couple of these stickers on eBay. =)
Cathy Wilde wrote:I would like a "Mna na hUilleann" one for us guuuurls :-)
i'd like a "Mna na hUilleann" one for us guys who love you mad piping guuuuurls. :)
Bill Reeder wrote:Uilleann pipers never blow it!
"uilleann pipers always blow it" would be more apt, methinks. :)
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Ceann Cromtha wrote:
CHasR wrote:i'd suggest something along the lines of those ovoid 'national' bumper stickers ("IE", "GB", "US" , "FR", "DE", "NL: , etc..) but ours would simply say "UP".
Great idea, but, apparently, the Salt Lake City Pipers' Club already thought of this one:

http://www.cafepress.com/slpc
Wow! I hadn't looked into our shop there for a while - but you're right. These are still around for any/all interested. And you're helping support the crazy fools daft enough to play the beast behind the Zion curtain. We just need to sell several thousand more stickers, and we might just be able to fund our next tionól! :D

(Sincerely appreciate the shout out there)
the_nyyaaa

Post by the_nyyaaa »

[ Zombie thread. - Mod ]
i've never understood why anybody cares whether a thread is old or new. the posts are still there and are exactly as readable (and as relevant and of as much interest to people just discovering them) as when they were first written...what difference does it make what the stupid time stamp says? ::scratches head::
Jeff Cullen

Post by Jeff Cullen »

I think it's just nice to know..... for example if you find yourself posting a reply or a question about a previous post, it's nice to know that you might not get a response from someone who maybe hasn't posted in years or no longer frequents the site. You're right though...there is a lot of infomation in a lot of old threads....although information is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but that still doesn't make infomation less valuable.
Jeff Cullen
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - A.E.
the_nyyaaa

Post by the_nyyaaa »

Jeff Cullen wrote:I think it's just nice to know..... for example if you find yourself posting a reply or a question about a previous post, it's nice to know that you might not get a response from someone who maybe hasn't posted in years or no longer frequents the site. You're right though...there is a lot of infomation in a lot of old threads....although information is not knowledge and knowledge is not wisdom, but that still doesn't make infomation less valuable.
ah, now that i understand
i thought 'twas meant to reprimand.

(i don't know why i wrote in rhyme
i sure don't do that every time.)

hoo boy. time for bed! :lol:
Calum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Calum »

There once was a poster called Nyaa
Who said with a grumpy 'bah!'
I don't care if they're old
They're often still gold
Even if the OP is now far

*exits, pursued by a bear*
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Calum wrote:*exits, pursued by a bear*
... who's out of his lair ...

.....so beware!

:)

[I've always been partial to a bit of Dr Seuss.]
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

the_nyyaaa wrote:
[ Zombie thread. - Mod ]
i've never understood why anybody cares whether a thread is old or new. the posts are still there and are exactly as readable (and as relevant and of as much interest to people just discovering them) as when they were first written...what difference does it make what the stupid time stamp says? ::scratches head::
It's 'cause we like saying "Zombie". Okay, next...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician